Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aristo 60

Quote from: 6th sam on February 25, 2020, 04:33:55 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 25, 2020, 03:50:54 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on February 25, 2020, 10:03:16 AM
I was at the East Down Scor final at the weekend and I was shocked to see that 8 clubs never got involved in Scor this year, 6 of which are big div 1 and 2 clubs in East Down.

I would like to remind clubs that the Rule 4 of the GAA's official guide states:

The Association shall actively support the Irish language, traditional Irish dancing, music, song, and other aspects of Irish culture. It shall foster an awareness and love of the national ideals in the people of Ireland, and assist in promoting a community spirit through its clubs.

Scor gets people involved in the GAA who may not be from a sporting background, any club not promoting our  culture are leaving out a lot of people in your communities. Clubs should be proactive in having a cultural/Scor officer to increase participation.

Carryduff and Bredagh have the biggest memberships in the county, come on folks you can do better.

At least they play hurling and also camogie in Bredagh's part, so swings and roundabouts!

JC , share your sentiments re spreading the hurling/camogie gospel but Tbf it is very very hard to start up hurling/camogie from scratch . Providing cultúr/singing/dance/music/drama is relatively easy. I think every club has a responsibility to provide male/female sport and culture if they are to meet the ideals of the association. Scór isn't for everyone however and the GAA needs to be imaginative regarding promoting culture.

When James Guinness danced through the Longford defence on Saturday night it was like music to my ears. Poetry in motion. How is that for culture>? #Scor(e)

SamFever

Quote from: Aristo 60 on February 25, 2020, 04:53:01 PM
I was at the East Down Scor final at the weekend and I was shocked to see that 8 clubs never got involved in Scor this year, 6 of which are big div 1 and 2 clubs in East Down.

I would like to remind clubs that the Rule 4 of the GAA's official guide states:

The Association shall actively support the Irish language, traditional Irish dancing, music, song, and other aspects of Irish culture. It shall foster an awareness and love of the national ideals in the people of Ireland, and assist in promoting a community spirit through its clubs.

Scor gets people involved in the GAA who may not be from a sporting background, any club not promoting our  culture are leaving out a lot of people in your communities. Clubs should be proactive in having a cultural/Scor officer to increase participation.

Carryduff and Bredagh have the biggest memberships in the county, come on folks you can do better.

At least they play hurling and also camogie in Bredagh's part, so swings and roundabouts!

JC , share your sentiments re spreading the hurling/camogie gospel but Tbf it is very very hard to start up hurling/camogie from scratch . Providing cultúr/singing/dance/music/drama is relatively easy. I think every club has a responsibility to provide male/female sport and culture if they are to meet the ideals of the association. Scór isn't for everyone however and the GAA needs to be imaginative regarding promoting culture.

When James Guinness danced through the Longford defence on Saturday night it was like music to my ears. Poetry in motion. How is that for culture>? #Scor(e)
Very good A 60.

johnnycool

I didn't say it was easy, but when you see the likes of Kilcoo making inroads at the camogie when there was little history of it then it is possible if there is a will.

There's far bigger clubs in Down who don't even do that but as long as they put out a ballad group then that's great!

I wouldn't be castigating Bredagh and Carryduff for not providing that aspect of our culture when they're working away elsewhere.

Truth hurts

JC the two biggest clubs in Down in terms of numbers are Bredagh and Carryduff and by a mile.

What i was tying to get at was that there are clubs in the county not even playing lip service to Scor.

When i look at GAA clubs in the county, the likes of Clonduff and Mayobridge would be strong in providing most aspects of the gaa, Warrenpoint, Kilcoo , Ford, Castlwellan as well, Burren would be a strong football clubs for boys and girls but Scor could improve.

I know Scor could improve but music, dance and song is as much as our heritage as our games and we as the gaa community need to protect and pass on to future generations.

I would also like to see a resurgence of hurling in clubs in the county but numbers might be a problem but clubs should amalgamate so give children the opportunity to play ,

outinfront

Bredagh run cultural events all the time, Irish language, music events, community events, quiz, etc, etc. There's a night coming up with a talk from Linda Ervine for example.
Fairly sure our neighbours are the same.

SamFever

Quote from: outinfront on February 26, 2020, 12:21:41 PM
Bredagh run cultural events all the time, Irish language, music events, community events, quiz, etc, etc. There's a night coming up with a talk from Linda Ervine for example.
Linda Irvine-my God >:( >:(. Who next? Winnie Mandela?  ;D ;D

johnnycool

Quote from: SamFever on February 26, 2020, 04:43:54 PM
Quote from: outinfront on February 26, 2020, 12:21:41 PM
Linda Irvine-my God >:( >:(. Who next? Winnie Mandela?  ;D ;D

ELP is giving a talk in Bredaghs club house about inclusiveness and shared spaces in South Belfast

Smurfy123

Anyone hear Castlewellan beat Clonduff 10-10 to 0.04 in a challenge match last night. Money well spent  in Clonduff. That's some hammering regardless of what team they had out.

Truth hurts

I expect a big response from the Town this season, division 2 will be a dogfight but I reckon the experience of Frank Dawson will take Castlewellan back to the top tier of Down.

Leftmidfield

Quote from: Smurfy123 on February 27, 2020, 02:55:38 PM
Anyone hear Castlewellan beat Clonduff 10-10 to 0.04 in a challenge match last night. Money well spent  in Clonduff. That's some hammering regardless of what team they had out.
Yeah this was in Malachy Murdock tournament. Clonduff had a challenge game on Sunday and put out a 3rds team. So I'm hearing

Smurfy123

A match Sunday so they put out a thirds team on Wednesday?
Surely that's not right?
10-10 holy god
Send them back to Tyrone

yewtree

Quote from: Truth hurts on February 26, 2020, 10:49:54 AM
JC the two biggest clubs in Down in terms of numbers are Bredagh and Carryduff and by a mile.

What i was tying to get at was that there are clubs in the county not even playing lip service to Scor.

When i look at GAA clubs in the county, the likes of Clonduff and Mayobridge would be strong in providing most aspects of the gaa, Warrenpoint, Kilcoo , Ford, Castlwellan as well, Burren would be a strong football clubs for boys and girls but Scor could improve.

I know Scor could improve but music, dance and song is as much as our heritage as our games and we as the gaa community need to protect and pass on to future generations.

I would also like to see a resurgence of hurling in clubs in the county but numbers might be a problem but clubs should amalgamate so give children the opportunity to play ,

Truth hurts you belong in 1900s , the GAA has moved on from this bullshit.No one cares about those things only a handful of backward folk.The GAA is a modern sports association and is moving on to a tolerant modern era.
No longer being manipulated by extremists .It is a sporting association not some dinosaur.
In time Score will be binned along with Rule 21 and Rule 42.
The people don't want any politics in the new GAA  , they want unionist and nationalist involved together and don't want these dinosaur activities bringing it back to its past.
It is sport and only sport.
In time with guys like Burns at the helm it can get rid of the playing of the Irish anthem and maybe adopt Ireland's Call type song.
I would say most posters on here are of the same view.

SamFever

Quote from: yewtree on February 27, 2020, 10:17:23 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on February 26, 2020, 10:49:54 AM

Truth hurts you belong in 1900s , the GAA has moved on from this bullshit.No one cares about those things only a handful of backward folk.The GAA is a modern sports association and is moving on to a tolerant modern era.
No longer being manipulated by extremists .It is a sporting association not some dinosaur.
In time Score will be binned along with Rule 21 and Rule 42.
The people don't want any politics in the new GAA  , they want unionist and nationalist involved together and don't want these dinosaur activities bringing it back to its past.
It is sport and only sport.
In time with guys like Burns at the helm it can get rid of the playing of the Irish anthem and maybe adopt Ireland's Call type song.
I would say most posters on here are of the same view.
Spewtree,head on back to the soccer.

snoopdog

Irish news has Offaly v Down at 12pm? Hoganstand has a 2.30pm throw in. Think it's a doubleheader with the Offaly hurlers. Anyone know start time for sure.

Ambrose

Quote from: snoopdog on February 28, 2020, 01:42:42 PM
Irish news has Offaly v Down at 12pm? Hoganstand has a 2.30pm throw in. Think it's a doubleheader with the Offaly hurlers. Anyone know start time for sure.

Offaly v Wickow 12:30 Hurling
Offaly v Down  14:30 Football.
You can't live off history and tradition forever