Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubh driocht

Critical 2 points thanks to Rory Gallagher.  The man has lost the run of himself. Tally got it right and Down got out of jail.

Mourne Rover

There were two ordinary enough sides in Newry tonight and the better managed one got over the line for a crucial win. Tally made the right subs and was able to cope with Poland's back card, while Gallagher spent the night yapping at his players and the officials for no apparent reason.

Darren O'Hagan was our best player as usual and the defence was generally solid. Burns was excellent under the dropping ball although his kick outs to an under pressure midfield were mixed. Our forwards worked hard on limited possession, with an important contribution from Kerr coming off the bench.

We took the lead for the first time with less than five minutes left and had the organisation necessary to grind out the result. Derry's discipline let themselves down in the closing stages and Barry O'Hagan's late black card was a classic example of taking one for the team.

There are very tight margins in D3 but we have left ourselves in the position we wanted to be after two games and promotion is in our own hands now.

maldini

Hard game to watch with very few pieces of good football on show
Down dug in well last 15 minutes when they went down to 14 men

Ed Hardy

Certainly not the best Ive seen Down play under Tally, but one thing you have to give him and this bunch of players is their ability to go right to the very end, Derry should have had them beat after Poland's black, Down just kept plugging away and eventually got their reward. The defence seemed to copy reasonably well, after unsettled first 10mins. Mf battled rightly, but the lack of ability to win our own kickouts is really becoming a massive problem and thats whole middle 8 fault and the keepers. Would make the game a lot easier if we could atleast break even in MF. (Some catch from Sean Doran at the death tho)  forwards done ok on little supply but I cant think of any really goal chances they created. Having said all that only thing that matters was the win and they ground it out. Be good to have few more lads back tho, (Harrison, Donnelly, Ryan Johnson, James Guinness and whoever else I've forgotten) make some difference.

Nanderson

Good weekend for all in Down. Footballers, hurlers, camogs and ladies footballers come away with wins

Ed Hardy

Also Hughes is v poor ref, its a very hard job at the best of times but that man just makes it worse for himself some of the decisions last night were baffling, especially when not giving Derry advantage in the 1st half when they might have worked a goal chance.

Smurfy123

Or the time he blew the Derry many up for over carrying the ball on his own 14. If Derry could shoot they would have won comfortably. We have big problems on kickouts. We give Derry every kickout and now instead of kicking the ball out to the side like last year they have changed it down the middle of the pitch. Massive improvements needed. Thinking about this today I think we are better in tier 2 at least we will get a few games but the minute we play a division 2 team it's lights out and god forbid S division 1 team.

urbangael

Poland going off helped Down. He was dead on his feet and gave a few wayward passes before the black. Definitely not a midfielder of intercounty standard. Derry are shocking and not beating them in Newry would have been criminal. DOH again Downs best player. Being realistic I don't expect to get anything in Cork but Down should win the remaining games in the division and that should be enough for promotion. The team certainly missing Mooney and his direct running. Young Kerr excellent when he came on and should start the next day.

Mourne Rover

Neither of our midfielders are naturals for the position but they ran themselves into the ground  and disrupted Derry's supply lines all night. We are likely to be missing Mooney for quite a while so other options need to be explored. While Kerr is a fine prospect, he is still only 20 and introducing him in the second half as the game opens up is probably the best approach. We have got ourselves into a decent position in D3 after two games and we will have a clearer idea about our prospects after the trip to Cork.

yewtree

Great win last night and well grinded out.Paddy is doing some job, teaching us how to win by toughness and resilience.

Knowing about University Football myself and Paddy's approach he has brought those skills to the inter county arena.

Now I must get off this phone and back to a few pints here on my favorite Sunday of the year.
Patrick Mahomes to cooper fasten his MVP credentials with The Chiefs by 9 or more.
It will be a red weekend with us creating more Premier League records ,Down win and Chiefs about to.
Now back to the drink #Superbowl2020

Too many steps

Quote from: Mourne Rover on February 02, 2020, 09:30:15 PM
Neither of our midfielders are naturals for the position but they ran themselves into the ground  and disrupted Derry's supply lines all night. We are likely to be missing Mooney for quite a while so other options need to be explored. While Kerr is a fine prospect, he is still only 20 and introducing him in the second half as the game opens up is probably the best approach. We have got ourselves into a decent position in D3 after two games and we will have a clearer idea about our prospects after the trip to Cork.

Kerr was minor same year as Clifford and O'Se I think - so age shouldn't be an issue. If he's good enough deserves a start. Based on performance Sat evening I think he deserves a start next time out.

Smurfy123

I see Abbey knocked out at the first knockout phase today. What an underachieving school.

SamFever

Quote from: Smurfy123 on February 04, 2020, 05:29:53 PM
I see Abbey knocked out at the first knockout phase today. What an underachieving school.
If the players aren't there,what can you expect?

yewtree

Quote from: SamFever on February 04, 2020, 05:59:58 PM
If the players aren't there,what can you expect?

As a guy who was an Abbey Boy I just can't understand it but I think it is at the stage now that we enter B Competitions , we are a McLarnon School not a McRory School anymore.

Down the school Abbey are entered into B competitions.

Time we just entered the McLarnon and we would hardly win it but it is the standard Abbey is at.The feeder clubs have delusions of gradeur as does the School.But reality is we are a B School .

Abbey are a McLarnon School not a McRory School.

Smurfy123

Haven't the player? Backboned by that Burren team along with McGovern who is potentially the best player at that level along with 5 or 6 Armagh minors
But sure they haven't the players