Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosskarr

Quote from: Dubh driocht on June 11, 2016, 08:15:16 PM
If that's true he should never play for Down again.
In our car for Clones there was a lad who knows his GAA and knows his odds; on the way down,he quoted us the best bet was Monaghan to win by 9 points or more at 4/1. He's currently unemployed and knew that £50 on that would help him out over the summer, but he said that as a Downman he could not and would not ever back against them.
US based for a few weeks now and this whole gambling thing is systematic of how are youth are now
programmed.They really don't give sh-t about family,tradition or morals anymore.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: rosskarr on June 12, 2016, 05:12:53 AM
In our car for Clones there was a lad who knows his GAA and knows his odds; on the way down,he quoted us the best bet was Monaghan to win by 9 points or more at 4/1. He's currently unemployed and knew that £50 on that would help him out over the summer, but he said that as a Downman he could not and would not ever back against them.
US based for a few weeks now and this whole gambling thing is systematic of how are youth are now
programmed.They really don't give sh-t about family,tradition or morals anymore.

I think that's a fairly sweeping statement, admittedly with some basis in truth, but you can't tar everyone with the same brush. We went into the bookies in Clones but the only bets placed were on Down to win, even though everyone placing them knew they were giving their money away.

thewobbler

Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 12, 2016, 10:41:22 AM

I think that's a fairly sweeping statement, admittedly with some basis in truth, but you can't tar everyone with the same brush. We went into the bookies in Clones but the only bets placed were on Down to win, even though everyone placing them knew they were giving their money away.

In all seriousness, why not give your money to a good cause if you're just giving it away?

OgraAnDun

Quote from: thewobbler on June 12, 2016, 11:12:29 AM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 12, 2016, 10:41:22 AM

In all seriousness, why not give your money to a good cause if you're just giving it away?

I'm not a betting man but I know there's a rush associated with it, even for small amounts of money.

Smurfy123

Spillane saying that the Down team were no fit last weekend?
Can't agree with him on this 1
They were training for 7 months so can't be what was wrong with us last weekend

Brick Tamlin

Johnny McCumiskey

There is a lot of criticism within Down football blaming everyone from the county secretary to the bus driver - some of this is justified and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

This September I will attend my 40th All Ireland in a row plus the '73 and '68 finals plus numerous hurling finals - I have seen a lot of great players over the years & over this time there has been a massive change in the standard of both football and players.

In years gone by the lifestyle of players was different to the present, take for instance Tom O'Hare the best left corner back I have witnessed playing - he was a labourer attending brickys and plasterer - carrying out his gym work during the day, were he was fit to stand beside an empty 40 gallon drum and jump in and out several times, an act I have not witnessed since.

Take another player Paddy Doherty the best left half forward I have seen, a bricky out on site 5 or 6 days a week.  He was as dangerous 40 yards out with his back to the goals, as most of todays players are on the 14 yard line facing the goals.

A lot of todays players are now attending the gym, is it to improve their performance on the field or to improve their appearance among their social circle?

I just wonder if all the players that are not making themselves available for the county, if we had a chance of winning an Ulster title would they make themselves available?

Maybe one of the problems in todays game is there is too much underage football too young.  By the time the players turn 18 they have had a sickener of our great game!!  At one club within our county the under 8 teams parents were sent a text message from their manager detailing what they were to eat, what they were to drink and at what time they should be going to bed!!

Is part of the problem the under age coaching methods?  Cause many of these coaches will tell you how many levels of coaching they have but I have never heard of anyone not pass these coaching courses.

Maybe the clubs should change their juvenile awards  - no winner medals, for medals are too easily got. 

If they want to improve the standard of skills within the game maybe they should award players at the end of each game for some of the following abilities e.g. the best / most improved catcher, the best / most improved two footed player, the player who caught the most ball, the player that blocked the most balls, the best passer, the players who best listen to instructions from management, the best leader on the field.

A new rule should be introduced at underage level that they are only allowed a toe tap & a bounce and this would encourage them to play with their head up - an ability lacking at all levels.

I have one final point about the state of Down football, from '09 can anyone name a good minor player, never mind a good minor team?

Could this be one of the reasons we are not producing them at senior level?

P.S. It is Tom O'Hare senior I have refered to not Thomas junior.

Leftmidfield

Here here johnny in response to the first part of your comments. However as for not having a good minor since 2009 ?????? I think you will get a load of names thT old be classed as good minors

Johnny McCumiskey

Quote from: Leftmidfield on June 12, 2016, 07:09:42 PM
Here here johnny in response to the first part of your comments. However as for not having a good minor since 2009 ?????? I think you will get a load of names thT old be classed as good minors

Maybe so Leftmidfield, but where are all of these great players today, does it go back to what I say there is too much underage football & too much emphasis on winning at underage?

T O Hare

Welcome aboard Johny Mc  :). I disagree with your point about too much underage football though. We have an  all county league with only 9 games. Surely there should be more games at this level. The exam break needs to be done away with and u16 and minor games played at the weekend to ensure a consistent level of football throughout the year.
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

OgraAnDun

Quote from: T O Hare on June 12, 2016, 07:32:26 PM
Welcome aboard Johny Mc  :). I disagree with your point about too much underage football though. We have an  all county league with only 9 games. Surely there should be more games at this level. The exam break needs to be done away with and u16 and minor games played at the weekend to ensure a consistent level of football throughout the year.

Doing away with the exam break is mental - games every second or third weekend possibly, but not no exam break at all. The players need that time to concentrate on their futures and not on an underage league.

As regards Johny's original point, are U8/10/12 not restricted to one solo and once bounce anyway?

T O Hare

With a match at the weekend and one training session for an hour during the week is hardly asking too much from young lads. The exercise would do them the world of good .
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

OgraAnDun

Quote from: T O Hare on June 12, 2016, 07:46:20 PM
With a match at the weekend and one training session for an hour during the week is hardly asking too much from young lads. The exercise would do them the world of good .

If you think that a manager would let the team away with one hour on a Wednesday night with the league in full swing, you mustn't be involved in underage teams at all. I'm not that far gone from underage football, and although I was lucky enough to still be able to train with no impact (or a positive impact), plenty of my friends weren't and needed that gap. Even with no games for weeks, teams trained 3 times a week. It doesn't really matter anyway, Doen's underage performance over the last number of years has nothing to do with an exam break in the league.

Johnny McCumiskey

Thomas when I refer to underage, I am emphasising u8/10/12 and the number of tournaments played throughout the session.  Also u12/14/16 & minors are training and playing for schools and clubs.  With all this training & playing I can't see were we are benefitting at senior level with all this underage participation. 

It is my opinion that when we were only playing u16 football, we were producting much better quality footballers but that is only my opinion!

Sure it has got now that you would get a trophy for being the best supporter in some clubs!

The Raven

Johnny, you are 100% right. Far too much emphasis on juvenile football, by the time boys are 18 they have have had 10 years of training 3/4/5 nights a week, playing in most cases for 2 teams ie U12/U14 U14/U16 or U16/minor, is it any wonder at 18 they are fed up and walk away. As I've stated before club coaches should concentrate on the skills of the game and make boys good footballers first and foremost and not to stifle this skill with over complicated tactics