Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardtole

James McCartan taking the minor team is surely a very positive step, I cant think of a better candidate.

T O Hare

Quote from: redandblackareback on May 17, 2016, 06:25:10 PM
We are simply not good enough at management or a playing level, sooner the idiots on here realise that the better, I will reserve judgement on the great coaching going on at underage level T O Hare until I hear more, not convinced.

I was the biggest critic a few years back but it's improved and I expect more to come. We are no where near the likes of Tyrone but it's a lot better than 5 years ago. There is a lot of volunteering work going on behind the scenes that we should be thankful for rather than snipe at. We all can improve and strive to be better!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

speculative

Sorry T O'Hare but can you tell me what structure we have exactly? 12 yrs ago Tyrone invested heavily in their youth structures, created a centre of excellence and thus excelled on a provincial and national stage. They have been able to develop young talents  and turn them into quality, athletic intercounty footballers.

St Colman's College won 2 Hogan Cups in a row, with a high proportion of those players being from Down- where are these lads now? Donal O'Hare  is the only one who has made any significant impact on the county scene. Where was the vision then from the county board to grab hold of these players and develop them into athletes capable of competing at top intercounty standard? Best minor team we had in last 7/8 yrs in 2009 (made AI Semi Final)- why have none of those lads kicked on to county?

A lot of people like to blame the player, especially the younger players, for not committing to Down, but why would they? They have been let down by the lack of structures that have been in place in other counties for over a decade. We aren't 5 yrs behind- we're 15 yrs behind!!

Smurfy123

The fact that Paddy O Rourke is overseeing everything is a massive plus
James McCartan is now our minor manager
And whether you like him or not Steven Poacher is our under 17 manager
Now I don't think we could ask for any better than that
Let's call a spade a spade
Poacher will be the next Down minor manager when or of James decides to take the Big one again

Aristo 60

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 16, 2016, 03:12:51 PM
Pie in the sky stuff maybe but let's call a spade a spade
These lads should all be playing
Well most of our squad are carrying injuries at present
I'm sticking by my prediction that Down will win by 4+
I've just got that feeling
We have some tremendous players that Monaghan will not be ready for
Man for man we are as good as any team in Ireland with the exception of Dublin and Kerry

Well my appetite is duly whetted!

Brick Tamlin

The best/most celebrated players don't always make the best managers/coaches.

Theres a serious clique exists in Down and I cant see it getting any better in years to come. There is little scope for new faces, favouritism towards previous 'heroes' and a resistance to grassroots change. Will watch with interest how the 'steering committee' get on over the coming years and the changes they implement.

None of the recently named would put a patch on the contribution that the likes of Peter Donnelly has made to both Cavan and Tyrone football in the last 10 years in an off-field capacity.

elk

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on May 18, 2016, 03:53:44 PM
The best/most celebrated players don't always make the best managers/coaches.

Theres a serious clique exists in Down and I cant see it getting any better in years to come. There is little scope for new faces, favouritism towards previous 'heroes' and a resistance to grassroots change. Will watch with interest how the 'steering committee' get on over the coming years and the changes they implement.

None of the recently named would put a patch on the contribution that the likes of Peter Donnelly has made to both Cavan and Tyrone football in the last 10 years in an off-field capacity.
First time I've heard someone referring to Poacher as a hero!

speculative

Yeah, because harping back to former county players has brought us some great success in the past....

I'd like someone to name me any player from the 91/94 team(James McCartan excluded) that has had a successful stint at management?

What experience do all the above mentioned have at developing young players? What expertise are they going to bring in terms of Strength and Conditioning? Do we have cohesive plan as to how we want Down teams to play no matter what age group? So many simple solutions to these issues.

Brick Tamlin

Correct me if im wrong but if the steering committee are entrusted with the appointments of management teams and personnel within the county then the spotlight really is on them to deliver.
After all they are the guys who put people into these positions.
Too many gurus, saviours and PR maniacs masquerading as managers/coaches in the county.

Smurfy123

What's your simple solutions to these problems?
And what do you mean about do they know the way Down play??
Is there now a way Down have to play?
I never heard the likes of it.
Did Dublin not loose and all Ireland 2 years ago by playing all out attack with number 6 going on the attack now they have changed ther style with the 6 sitting at all time with Flynn playing a more defensive role so not to get hit on the coubter attack like Donegal 2 years ago
Teams change systems every few years
Poacher played all out defence against Burren but changed to an all out attack against Longstone and Castlewellan and trounced both teams

knockitdown

Answers on a postcard please....

We have a player who's had a red (2 yellows) in a game and a black card in the last game. Is he suspended for the next game?

speculative

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 18, 2016, 05:52:31 PM
What's your simple solutions to these problems?
And what do you mean about do they know the way Down play??
Is there now a way Down have to play?

I never heard the likes of it.
Did Dublin not loose and all Ireland 2 years ago by playing all out attack with number 6 going on the attack now they have changed ther style with the 6 sitting at all time with Flynn playing a more defensive role so not to get hit on the coubter attack like Donegal 2 years ago
Teams change systems every few years
Poacher played all out defence against Burren but changed to an all out attack against Longstone and Castlewellan and trounced both teams

Where did I say there was a Down way to play? Look at Tyrone, generally, all their teams play the same way. Systems are always going to evolve as the game does that's natural but that doesn't mean to say that there should be a clear idea within the county board of how we want our senior team to play and implement those same principles down through the grades. Whatever system that might be. We've looked far too short term recently (debacle regarding McCorry prime example) and need to have a vision for what the future is.

Johann Cruyff had a similar vision for Barcelona's youth teams play the same way as their senior team and it has seemed to work out all right for them!!

Smurfy123

How do all Tyrone teams play the same?
That could not be further from the truth.The Tyrone team that won the All Ireland under 21 played with 2 men inside and 2 on the 40
Where as Mickey Hartes senior team play with 3 on the 40 at all times with number 10 and now colm Cavanagh playing a defensive role .Where are you getting this from that they play the same style?
Also Tyrones under 21 half back line has not the freedom to attack like Harte gives his senior team
Think of the Tyrone half back lines of years gone by Jordan Ryan Mc,Davy Harte,Pete Harte all attacking half backs
Are you saying Tyrone under 21s were allowed that freedom???No way
And I seen Tyrone Live 3 times and on TV in the final

imagine

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 19, 2016, 02:26:49 PM
How do all Tyrone teams play the same?
That could not be further from the truth.The Tyrone team that won the All Ireland under 21 played with 2 men inside and 2 on the 40
Where as Mickey Hartes senior team play with 3 on the 40 at all times with number 10 and now colm Cavanagh playing a defensive role .Where are you getting this from that they play the same style?
Also Tyrones under 21 half back line has not the freedom to attack like Harte gives his senior team
Think of the Tyrone half back lines of years gone by Jordan Ryan Mc,Davy Harte,Pete Harte all attacking half backs
Are you saying Tyrone under 21s were allowed that freedom???No way
And I seen Tyrone Live 3 times and on TV in the final
Yawn zzzz.

Smurfy123

Yawn?
It's a discussion board you fool
Have a look at your own comments then talk about yawn