Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TooLongRef

Quote from: Mourne Rover on April 15, 2016, 01:23:34 PM
Was McKernan fit for Burren last night after his injury in the previous game ?

Mckernan looks to be out for a sustained period of time
he wouldn't of fancied it last night anyway, Ballyholland were a bit nasty wouldn't be his scene

clowry13

Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 15, 2016, 08:26:42 AM
Clowny and Whitegoodman here is a question for you
Burren must have some money to fire away
Ward Copeland Monaghan Vernan?(dundrum) all on the payroll
Surely with all those great underage teams that has come through the ranks use could get 1 good trainer out of them instead of bringing in 3 outsiders to the backroom team ?
Very strange
I'm not even a Burren Man myself.. doesn't bother me what they do with there money. But I just know they have plenty of injuries. Was at the game last night. Harps set up well, with red card spoiling the affair. Harps old men murtagh and Murphy battled away rightly.

clowry13

was very impressed also with the Ballyholland number 18 who came on , heard he's still at school.. does anyone know his name??

whitegoodman

A couple of points;

- Balllyholland were leading 1-2 till 4 points when the sending off happened so yes they were well in control of the game at that point!!!

- Kevin McKernan, Dan McCartan, Conor Toner, Mark McKay, Shay McArdle all out last night with Jamie McGovern and Cathal Foy only fit for substitute appearances.  So if ya want to talk about injuries go for it....

- McKernan has ligament damage in his ankle I think so will be out for a while and would be doubtful for Down match I would imagine.  Interesting point by Toolongref all the same.

- It is my understanding that Wards "package" would be no more than the likes of Dawson or McIlvor are getting.  Besides why move the successful underage coaches away from there when they are being successful at what they are doing, rob Peter to pay Paul and all that.

- Murtagh still the class act on the pitch last night at 34.  Says it all about the current state of Down football.

- Going by last night Burren haven't learned much from last year, playing stupid football against defensive teams and leaving themselves open to counters time and time again. Poacher knows how to set up a team but is still an edjit, was going to jump over the wire at one stage last night from what I could see at the other end of the field.

cut the crap

Interesting points made on here about management teams being paid, personally when fellas give up their time to train a team they deserve to be paid their expenses, once you enter the world of management the task is all consuming, I know because for 3 years I was involved in managing my own club, people only see the 2 nights training and a weekly match, to do it right you have to check on players in the reserves ,minors which might involve watching these guys play, their are daily phone calls with fellow selectors and players.You may have to talk to physios to check on the progress of injuries, you will definitely be talking to the club secretary and chairman, the job is all consuming and any money received is earned.I have learned from experience that the guys who are presently managing senior teams within the county do bring a level of professionalism to their clubs and I have seen this level increase each year which can only enhance the chance of success.
Isn't it great to read about club rivalries being renewed Burren when I played were the bench mark and we had some tremendous battles in the 80s with them, hats of to them they are still at the top, might not like them but respect where it is due.
Watched Rostrevor get tanked last night on their patch, Loughinisland played some beautiful football last night , could have won by more, one point however, Caolan Mooney is a talent down needs back, however this young lad needs a mentor of the calibre of Alan Molloy, someone who will listen to this young lad and hopefully steer him back , if your reading Caolan , everyone makes mistakes don't dwell on them , get on with your life and get back to the performance level that I, along with many others have seen.

Cb66

I see An riocht have 3 wins from their opening 3 games in Division 2. Anyone know how big a role Martin Clarke is having with them?

delgany

Football in Red high   is dying on  its  feet. Third tier  of schools  football  now.. didnt even bother to fulfill a fixture in o dohertycup !  Sums it up   really.  A few balloons  taking teams as well !!!!

Smurfy123

Who is the GAA men in the red high?

T O Hare

The Red high has over 800 pupils and should be a McRory school. The county board is currently reviewing where coaches are placed. There will be more coaches in secondary schools in the near future if principals allow them. It's early days but the magpies are still the team to beat, Burren will be close to them  when they get all their players back.
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

rosskarr

Quote from: T O Hare on April 16, 2016, 03:02:28 PM
The Red high has over 800 pupils and should be a McRory school. The county board is currently reviewing where coaches are placed. There will be more coaches in secondary schools in the near future if principals allow them. It's early days but the magpies are still the team to beat, Burren will be close to them  when they get all their players back.
If the CB could get one or two out of bed each day to a do full week's work it'd be a start

Line Ball

Quote from: rosskarr on April 16, 2016, 06:53:00 PM
If the CB could get one or two out of bed each day to a do full week's work it'd be a start

Sorry, are you serious????  A few years ago DD had a scheduled session from a county coach on a Monday morning but they had more no shows from him than actual coaching sessions.  The whole thing and quality of coaching is an absolute joke and all headed by a tube of a development officer.

redandblackareback

Quote from: whitegoodman on April 15, 2016, 01:50:44 PM
A couple of points;

- Balllyholland were leading 1-2 till 4 points when the sending off happened so yes they were well in control of the game at that point!!!

- Kevin McKernan, Dan McCartan, Conor Toner, Mark McKay, Shay McArdle all out last night with Jamie McGovern and Cathal Foy only fit for substitute appearances.  So if ya want to talk about injuries go for it....

- McKernan has ligament damage in his ankle I think so will be out for a while and would be doubtful for Down match I would imagine.  Interesting point by Toolongref all the same.

- It is my understanding that Wards "package" would be no more than the likes of Dawson or McIlvor are getting.  Besides why move the successful underage coaches away from there when they are being successful at what they are doing, rob Peter to pay Paul and all that.

- Murtagh still the class act on the pitch last night at 34.  Says it all about the current state of Down football.

- Going by last night Burren haven't learned much from last year, playing stupid football against defensive teams and leaving themselves open to counters time and time again. Poacher knows how to set up a team but is still an edjit, was going to jump over the wire at one stage last night from what I could see at the other end of the field.

Agree with Whitegoodman on a lot of the above, ventured to two club games Thursday and Friday, club football really is in a bad place in this county, first up Ballyholland v Burren, two complete lunatics managing both clubs, never seen the like of the pressure both tried to place on the referee, one lunatic (poucher) had his team reasonably well organised and hard to beat, the other lunatic (ward) is clueless and is just lucky he has a mountain of talent to get him over the line but when Kilcoo come calling they will fall short again and surely the Burren folk on here would agree. Bar Donal O Hare who was superb and Ronan Murtagh not much to shout about there.

Up next was Castlewellan v Glen, credit to Glen, they are trying to make themselves competitive in a very poor league, Castlewellan have a lot of talent and reached a championship final last year, but when your manager has no discipline neither will your team and this will be their downfall. Glen could and probably should have won the game only for a penalty save a few minutes from the end, by best player on show> Michael Cunningham, a goalkeeper.

I left both games thinking where is the talented footballers we use to see regularly in Down league games up and down the county? What is the problem? Is it the coaches? The schools? Lack of numbers? Why has football in Down got so bad? Has anyone got the answers?

rosskarr

Quote from: Line Ball on April 16, 2016, 07:44:34 PM
Quote from: rosskarr on April 16, 2016, 06:53:00 PM

Sorry, are you serious????  A few years ago DD had a scheduled session from a county coach on a Monday morning but they had more no shows from him than actual coaching sessions.  The whole thing and quality of coaching is an absolute joke and all headed by a tube of a development officer.
What/where is DD?

Line Ball

My wee girls name, sorry. I'd rather not give the name of her primary school.

FML

Quote from: Line Ball on April 16, 2016, 08:04:06 PM
My wee girls name, sorry. I'd rather not give the name of her primary school.

Why not? If you're able to come on here making personal attacks on people why not identify yourself?

Why hide behind a pseudonym?