Car Insurance!!!!!

Started by balladmaker, January 21, 2010, 07:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen Brannigan

Probably on line with Admiral/Elephant if your age is a problem.  Multicar policies from them offer a little more discount and if you can put two older drivers onto the insurance you get a significant discount.

If you are a little older like me, Post Office or LV that I use - £195 for a Golf 2.0 TDI.  LV also have a multicar discount.

Rois

I used to be able to get better prices online but not any more.

stiffler

Thanks guys, Axa direct gave me the best price by using a broker that does not quote online.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

CiKe

Maybe this is a stupid question I don't know but can anyone tell me why despite the fact that as your car ages and the amount you would be paid in event of a write-off goes down, the insurance premium goes up annually (even when you have had no claims)?

If I don't have an accident this year am I statistically more likely to have one next year or something like that? Or is it just insurers taking the piss?

armaghniac

Quote from: CiKe on June 19, 2017, 11:10:44 PM
Maybe this is a stupid question I don't know but can anyone tell me why despite the fact that as your car ages and the amount you would be paid in event of a write-off goes down, the insurance premium goes up annually (even when you have had no claims)?

If I don't have an accident this year am I statistically more likely to have one next year or something like that? Or is it just insurers taking the piss?

My premiums did not go up every year, then went down and then went up quite a bit in recent years. The reason for that was the lower premiums weren't really doing the business. Insurance companies used make money on investing the premiums, but interest rates are now at rock bottom.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

CiKe

And if I am "statistically" more likely to have an accident, will telematics negate these law of large numbers statistics based on me being a good driver? How widely in use is telematics in premium calculations in Ireland? Over here in Spain, there only seems to be one company making use of them so far but is more on a pay as you drive kms basis i.e. distance driven as opposed to driver behaviour

CiKe

Quote from: armaghniac on June 19, 2017, 11:14:45 PM

My premiums did not go up every year, then went down and then went up quite a bit in recent years. The reason for that was the lower premiums weren't really doing the business. Insurance companies used make money on investing the premiums, but interest rates are now at rock bottom.

Hadn't thought of the investment side of the equation. Interesting you say that, maybe i'll live to see a lower premium at some point then. Only had car the last few years and invariably goes up about EUR 25 despite me threatening to leave each year. Value of car must be no more than half what it was initially.

Rois

Insurance Premium Tax has also increased over the last few years.
Insurers will also go low to get volume, but then that competitive pricing expires, and it's a different insurer who offers the better pricing.

general

Sweet Mother of F88K!!!!

Came home to an insurance renewal letter today of £1960!!!

29YO M, (H&S Consultant), Currently driving 2014 C220 Mercedes with 28YO Wife (Nurse) as insured

10 mins on moneysupermarket and ive now got the insurance for £550 with Hastings. Includes breakdown, courtesy car, legal etc. Dont know where Axa Insurance thought they were going - disgusting!

Anyway - Rant over - make sure you shop about

Hardy

Sounds like a f**k off quote. You're not in the demographic their actuaries want.

screenexile

Quote from: Hardy on February 20, 2019, 08:56:07 PM
Sounds like a f**k off quote. You're not in the demographic their actuaries want.

Bingo bango!!!

thebuzz

Quote from: general on February 20, 2019, 08:28:53 PM
Sweet Mother of F88K!!!!

29YO M, (H&S Consultant), Currently driving 2014 C220 Mercedes with 28YO Wife (Nurse) as insured

10 mins on moneysupermarket and ive now got the insurance for £550 with Hastings. Includes breakdown, courtesy car, legal etc. Dont know where Axa Insurance thought they were going - disgusting!

We have 4 small cars insured separately with Axa. All are reasonably priced and we've been with them for a few years.

Both my wife and I have had separate accidents where we were to blame and they looked after us well.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: thebuzz on February 20, 2019, 11:15:33 PM
Quote from: general on February 20, 2019, 08:28:53 PM
Sweet Mother of F88K!!!!

We have 4 small cars insured separately with Axa. All are reasonably priced and we've been with them for a few years.

Both my wife and I have had separate accidents where we were to blame and they looked after us well.

they must be trying to recover these costs!
Hasta la victoria siempre

Milltown Row2

I'm with Autonet, gotten through one of those comparisons sites, 30 quid a month, only problem is I've no paperwork. Tried getting online but no policy to access but the money is coming out per month (2 months) am I covered?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Maiden1

Does anyone else ever get caught out by auto-renewal?  If I see a letter come in with a renewal quote and it is a bit high I will ignore it and go to comparethemarket and see is if I can get any better quotes but twice now I have noticed a few months after the event that I have 2 insurances, so I have to ring up and cancel 1.  Fecking does my head in that they assume auto-renewal as a default and you have to somehow opt out of it.
There are no proofs, only opinions.