County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

There was an interesting discussion on Sunday Sport on Radio 1 just now. Derry are probably close to their peak, as are Armagh. Tyrone management are staying on. The Dubs will have some retirements. JM will have a United team and will probably do something different. He will be able to raise money. A very different dynamic to earlier in the year.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Jack O'Connor chose another 2 year. He didn't want to bow out on a loss to Dublin.

Brendan

Ciaran meenagh officially rules himself out of contention for the Derry job  :'(

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Brendan on September 11, 2023, 05:39:46 PM
Ciaran meenagh officially rules himself out of contention for the Derry job  :'(

Late departure, why the two months in order to decide if he was staying or going?

LC

Head hunted by some club in Monaghan apparently who currently have a vacancy.........and deep pockets.

the goal was on

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 11, 2023, 05:52:56 PM

Late departure, why the two months in order to decide if he was staying or going?

Chatting to few mates today from Derry and said county board were holding out to see if they could keep Gallagher could stay in post. Meenagh was never taking over but just buying time until mess got sorted !

Captain Obvious

Quote from: the goal was on on September 11, 2023, 06:35:38 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 11, 2023, 05:52:56 PM

Chatting to few mates today from Derry and said county board were holding out to see if they could keep Gallagher could stay in post. Meenagh was never taking over but just buying time until mess got sorted !

That ended when Rory Gallagher officially stepped down as Derry manager in mid May.

yellowcard

Derry exited the championship 8 weeks ago so it was strange how Meenagh waited so long to arrive at the decision that he was stepping away. It can't be any coincidence that the announcement that he was stepping down came on the same day that Gallagher was debarred from coaching by the Ulster council.

the goal was on

Looks like meenagh was waiting for Rory to come back

seafoid

Maybe he is afraid of the wrath of the  father. Meenagh will have no problem finding another county role after that semi final.

ck

BBC Radio Ulster just said Malachy O'Rourke to be appointed Derry Manager.

tyrone08

Quote from: ck on September 13, 2023, 11:34:36 AM

Would such an appointment rule him out of a future Tyrone manager role I wonder? Thought malachy would have been the obvious choice after dooher and co steps down

tbrick18

Quote from: tyrone08 on September 13, 2023, 12:22:24 PM

Would such an appointment rule him out of a future Tyrone manager role I wonder? Thought malachy would have been the obvious choice after dooher and co steps down

I'd say he'd prefer to go somewhere where he has a chance of winning major honours!  ;) ;)

rrhf

Quote from: tbrick18 on September 13, 2023, 02:26:41 PM

I'd say he'd prefer to go somewhere where he has a chance of winning major honours!  ;) ;)
What is the biggest title he has ever  won. Just checking if he would be suitable for the Derry wans. 

ck

Quote from: tbrick18 on September 13, 2023, 02:26:41 PM

He's a very successful manager but has not won an All-Ireland. His choice now is if an All-Ireland is more likely with Glen or Derry. My guess is that he will attempt to do both, he'll bring Glen to All-Ireland stages this year and double job with Derry before stepping down with Glen.