A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: BennyCake on May 28, 2015, 02:17:07 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 28, 2015, 01:16:31 PM
Could we not make Armagh into a country of its own and have it like Lesotho for example,and throw them all in there along with everyone from Armagh and Tyrone?
Would anyone really miss Armagh?

Wasn't that the original idea with Queens County? English planters and all that.
Maybe. We stood up to the fcukers though.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on May 27, 2015, 09:14:44 PM
Honestly think the Cultural differences between Northern and Southern nationalists would be difficult to reconcile without throwing unionists into the mix,at this stage.Gerry Fitt wasn't wrong all those years ago when he said he had more in common with an Ulster prod than a Cork Catholic.
Tony that has nothing to do with the border, there are cultural differences between all regions of Ireland. It wasn't just a coincidence that in the recent referendum in the South that the Ulster counties vote reflected more closely the views that would be held on this side of the border. Gerry Fitt is a bad example any way.

Personally I believe that the future of Ireland North and south is closely linked with what is currently called the UK and any reunification is more likely within the context of the ROI rejoining a British Isles confederation.

Bingo

A countries border is a line in the map that states who you pay taxes too. The idea of nationality and how this defines a person is becoming more and more diluted with each passing year as a result of emigration, the advances in technology and increased openness in society.

Been massive changes in the last 50 years.

armaghniac

Quote from: Bingo on May 28, 2015, 03:01:18 PM
A countries border is a line in the map that states who you pay taxes too. The idea of nationality and how this defines a person is becoming more and more diluted with each passing year as a result of emigration, the advances in technology and increased openness in society.

The same could be said of counties, but I still dislike Down.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Bingo

Quote from: armaghniac on May 28, 2015, 03:02:49 PM

The taxes bit though.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Bingo on May 28, 2015, 03:13:23 PM

The taxes bit though.

I know lots in Armagh and lots in Down and more people pay taxes in Down than Armagh  ;)

Bingo

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 28, 2015, 03:57:09 PM

The taxes bit though.

I know lots in Armagh and lots in Down and more people pay taxes in Down than Armagh  ;)

Totally understandable and if you seen my post on page 1 or 2, I stated that there was three referendums that would be needed and I had this in mind  ;D

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Bingo on May 28, 2015, 04:05:17 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 28, 2015, 03:57:09 PM

The taxes bit though.

Totally understandable and if you seen my post on page 1 or 2, I stated that there was three referendums that would be needed and I had this in mind  ;D

I saw it of course, the FRSA will always be a separate place no matter who's on the throne!

Maguire01

Quote from: Rossfan on May 27, 2015, 07:15:22 PM
As I outlined here some years ago - when the Referenda are held and passed ( around 2040??) in the 26 and 6  we'll more than likely end up with a new All Ireland political entity "Irish Confederation". Slimmed down versions of the Dáil and Stormont will look after "Internal affairs" in the 2 "Semi Autonomous Regions" ( present day 6 and 26 Cos ) while the new "Congress" of the Confederation will look after major matters/foreign affairs etc.
People in the 6 Cos will still be able to have British citizenship ( whether automatically or have to apply will be a matter for the British government - if Britain still exists of course) if they so wish. One of the Windsor Family will be allocated as Prince or Princess for those folks.
I expect we'll have a bland new Anthem and flag, probably a new Capital of the Confederation - Athlone or Armagh I would suggest.
Some kind of 3 person Presidency with perhaps some Executive powers may be set up ( One from the 26, one from each "tribe" in the North).
In the meantime it would help if the likes of SF, SDLP, FF, FG, Labour etc had even one line in their policy documents as to what they'd at least like the new All Ireland set up to look like.
There were a few lines in the SDLP's 2011 manifesto.

http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/issues/politics/docs/sdlp/sdlp_2011-05-05_man.pdf

Uniquely among parties in the North, we are clear on the structures of a United Ireland and the strategy for achieving it.
In the United Ireland that the SDLP seeks:
• the Assembly would continue, as a regional parliament of a United Ireland with all its cross-community protections
• the Executive would be kept, bringing together all political parties
• all the Agreement's equality and human rights protections, including the Bill of Rights, would still be guaranteed
• the right to identify oneself as British or Irish, or both, and hold British or Irish passports would endure
• East-West cooperation would continue. In particular, just as the Irish Government has a say in the North now, the British Government would have a say in the North in a United Ireland
• those in the North who want it, should have representation in the House of Lords in a United Ireland.

muppet

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 28, 2015, 02:47:24 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on May 27, 2015, 09:14:44 PM
Honestly think the Cultural differences between Northern and Southern nationalists would be difficult to reconcile without throwing unionists into the mix,at this stage.Gerry Fitt wasn't wrong all those years ago when he said he had more in common with an Ulster prod than a Cork Catholic.
Tony that has nothing to do with the border, there are cultural differences between all regions of Ireland. It wasn't just a coincidence that in the recent referendum in the South that the Ulster counties vote reflected more closely the views that would be held on this side of the border. Gerry Fitt is a bad example any way.

Personally I believe that the future of Ireland North and south is closely linked with what is currently called the UK and any reunification is more likely within the context of the ROI rejoining a British Isles confederation.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

'rejoining' could only mean the United Kingdom.

There is a greater chance of Gerry Adams marrying Prince Harry imho.
MWWSI 2017

Darby

Should be easy enough to achieve if we put our minds to it.

deiseach

A ballot box in one hand and our minds in the other. Or something.

Rossfan

Good to see the SDLP at least setting out their stall. Ye're welcome to stealing some of my ideas - PM me for address to send cheque to. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

longballin

Reading this I find that a lot of people are happy enough with the status quo. Cant imagine why.

BennyCake

Quote from: longballin on June 01, 2015, 11:04:24 AM
Reading this I find that a lot of people are happy enough with the status quo. Cant imagine why.

I don't think it's a case of being "happy enough". Its more a case of it makes no difference which shower of pricks rule over us.