Referees Section (All Queries on Rulings Welcomed) No Smart Arses/Tyre Kickers

Started by Offical Line, November 17, 2006, 04:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Offical Line

Lads and Ladies, i have started this Thread to try to answer genuine queries dealing with our National Games on Rules/Regulations if i can. I am a Snr Referee, i will not Bull Shit or will not answer any Ridiculous Scenarios, lets have Genuine situations or Queries were you believe my Colleagues are in the wrong or there is some doubt, Please respect the Thread and lets see how it progresses. I will not be on Everyday, as it would be impossible as correct answers may take time to construct. I hopefully will be the voice of those that you inflect most criticism.

Square Ball

If the ball goes out for a sideline ball and an opposition player disagrees with the decision can the ball be advanced 10 yards up the line?

also is there an advantege rule?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteIf the ball goes out for a sideline ball and an opposition player disagrees with the decision can the ball be advanced 10 yards up the line?

I believe he can yes - under the rule for Dissent

Quotealso is there an advantege rule?

It is not at the referee's discretion to allow an advatage in football or hurling

Norf Tyrone

"It is not at the referee's discretion to allow an advatage in football or hurling"

Serious?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Gabriel_Hurl

Yes - that's what we were told when I did my Referee's course

Rules of Control

Rule 1.2 Duties of the Referee

(i) To control the game in accordance with the Playing Rules - if there is a foul, the referee has to stop play and award a free kick

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Offical Line

Gabriel Hurl,

Your position on the Advantage Rule is incorrect, if you read the rules properly you will see what i mean, i am not acting the smart arse, there is no rule titled Advantage rule, however in the Rules of Football and hurling, 4.36 in football rule will clarify it for you. Your answer with the awarding a 10 yrds further up the line is also incorrect for dissent, the player can be cautioned, you cannot move the ball a further 10yrds up the line.

I would suggest that you read the book in more detail Gabriel, even 1.2?

Elias

Is there an official copy of the rules of football available online? Some might think it pedantic but I'd find it interesting.

The Claw

I know you said no stupid scenarios but I have two q's
1. Right, a player cannot hand pass the ball to the bet, but if it gets a slight deflection, will it be counted?
2. Can someone hand pass the ball to themselves, ie over someone's head?

Gabriel_Hurl

4.36 only deals with adavatage being played with regards to technical fouls   ;) ;)

A bit of clarification is required on the sideline thing

Does rule 2.9 not state "When a team plays the ball over the side-line,a free kick from the hand(s) shall be awarded to the opposing team from the place where the ball crossed the side-line."?

and Rule 6.2 states "To show dissent with the referee's decision to award a free kick to the opposing team. PENALTY - The free kick already awarded shall be taken 13m more advantageous than the place of original kick - up to opponents' 13m line"

Gabriel_Hurl

Elias

Cheers GH, got that fine, some bed time reading there all right. I'll never need a GAA pundit again  :D

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: The Claw on November 17, 2006, 07:26:42 PM
I know you said no stupid scenarios but I have two q's
1. Right, a player cannot hand pass the ball to the bet, but if it gets a slight deflection, will it be counted?
2. Can someone hand pass the ball to themselves, ie over someone's head?

My understanding would be that in scenario 1. the goal would stand - a bit like the scenario in soccer where an indirect free kick is deflected in, and in 2. you can hand pass the ball to yourself IF it bounces, but you can not take it on the full!   :)

heganboy

I have some questions on the handpass- it was explained to me before that a clean strike of the ball is required for a handpass, I have found that if I use the open hand for the pass I sometimes get called for a throw ball - can you clarify what actually constitutes the hand pass. Also any additional info on the one handed hand pass, and the rule on the hand pass when the ball and player are on the ground, I have seen the same thing allowed and sometimes called as a foul.
Thanks in advance
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Cloc Mor

It is only possible to handpass a ball with an open hand (as opposed to a closed fist for a fist pass), but the hand holding the ball must remain stationary and there should be a clear striking action.  It is also possible to fist the ball while on the ground and even strike the ball ON the ground with your hand, as long as clean possession had been won beforehand but more often than not referees will blow this one up.

It is also possible to fist the ball with the same hand the ball was in, also as long as there is a clear striking action.