Connacht SFC 2020

Started by Rossfan, October 26, 2020, 01:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 06, 2020, 02:37:45 PM
one player from the county champions
Were you expecting more? Mayo have none from their county champions but Kevin McLoughlin will likely start.

Rossfan

It's an all County team (excepting 1 town sadly).
2 of Brigid's best players are only 17.
As strong a team as we've fielded or had available for a while.
The 11 subs will interesting and will no doubt include 2 Murtaghs, 2 Lennons, Finbarr Cregg, Conor Hussey, Conor Devaney, Ultan Harney and Shane Killoran.
Bring it on......!!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 06, 2020, 03:24:32 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 06, 2020, 02:37:45 PM
one player from the county champions
Were you expecting more? Mayo have none from their county champions but Kevin McLoughlin will likely start.

He wasn't in the 26 the last day.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Is it just me or is Stephen Coen a bit slow/cumbersome for intercounty football?
I thought he was easily turned when he lined out as fullback and moving him out to chb could leave him more exposed.
Other than that, I think the team is as good as it gets.......Conor Loftus?
I think Horan/ McDonald see  something there that''s not immediately obvious to me but he certainly has come in as a footballer compared to what he was before this year.
Finally, one big plus is the return to form of Cillian.
I felt he had lost his way in recent years where he seemed to spend far too much time handbagging and swapping petty insults with whoever came his way. Right now, I feel he'll make the difference tomorrow.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Tubberman

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 07, 2020, 12:13:37 PM
Is it just me or is Stephen Coen a bit slow/cumbersome for intercounty football?
I thought he was easily turned when he lined out as fullback and moving him out to chb could leave him more exposed.
I think Horan/ McDonald see  something there that''s not immediately obvious to me but he certainly has come in as a footballer compared to what he was before this year.
I felt he had lost his way in recent years where he seemed to spend far too much time handbagging and swapping petty insults with whoever came his way. Right now, I feel he'll make the difference tomorrow.

Mark it down Lar - I agree with everything you've said ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

weareros

Quote from: Rossfan on November 06, 2020, 04:17:46 PM
It's an all County team (excepting 1 town sadly).

Some strong Ballagh connections all the same on the Ros team, more so than the Mayo team for a change. Hopefully a good omen.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Tubberman on November 07, 2020, 01:29:12 PM

Mark it down Lar - I agree with everything you've said ;)
An rud is annamh, is iontach! ;D
What's seldom is wonderful!

macdanger2

I'm probably in a minority here but I like Coen despite him being slow as you say and a disaster when it comes to shooting. I think a holding 6 is his best position

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 07, 2020, 10:17:43 PM

I'm probably in a minority here but I like Coen despite him being slow as you say and a disaster when it comes to shooting. I think a holding 6 is his best position

Yeah, there seems to be more to Coen than meets the eye. He has been captain of Minor, Under 20 and Sigerson national titles.  He seems to be a leader.  Because of the standard of players available to Mayo in the past he has often ended up playing unorthodox roles.

MayoBuck

There's no harm having a 6 that's happy to sit back in front of the full back line. The problem will be when he comes up against a pacy centre half forward. Probably why he's been moved around so much.

oliverkelly

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 07, 2020, 10:38:18 PM

Yeah, there seems to be more to Coen than meets the eye. He has been captain of Minor, Under 20 and Sigerson national titles.  He seems to be a leader.  Because of the standard of players available to Mayo in the past he has often ended up playing unorthodox roles.

I dont really rate him myself but he had some CV as you have pointed out so obviously has something  to not only make those successful teams but to captain them. He probably put in a man of the match performance against us tomorrow after me saying I dont really rate him. But managers seem to trust him for Mayo he has been played in numerous positions to do a job. I dont think he has a brilliant skill level to nail down a certain position for Mayo but he makes up for what he lacks skills wise with work rate. Similar in a way to O'Rourke for us who will never win you a game by kicking scores or doing a run but will do the basics right and rarely makes mistakes.

Lar Naparka

The Sligo saga hasn't run its course yet.
https://westernpeople.ie/2020/11/07/sligo-players-insist-they-wanted-to-play-galway/

SLIGO PLAYERS INSIST THEY WANTED TO PLAY GALWAY

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 07, 2020

Sligo GAA has been thrown into a state of turmoil by a statement released last night by the Sligo senior football panel which today had been due to travel to Pearse Stadium to play Galway in the semi-finals of the Connacht SFC.

The game was cancelled earlier this week after it emerged a number of Sligo players had tested positive for Covid-19, with the decision to withdraw the team from the competition relayed in a statement that was released on behalf of the county board, players and management.
However, the Sligo players who remained virus-free, available to play and who could have togged out against Galway later today moved to clarify their position on Friday night, saying that they wanted to fulfil the fixture but that the opportunity was taken from them.

"The perception that Sligo senior footballers did not want to fulfil this weekend's fixture is incorrect," read the statement. "All players who could feasibly make themselves available wanted to play the game.

"The players are disappointed the game could not proceed for reasons outside their control. No member of the panel will be making any further comment at this time," the statement concluded.

The fact the game does not proceed means Galway reach this year's Connacht SFC Final without playing a game. Mayo and Roscommon, meanwhile, will face off in Hyde Park this Sunday afternoon for the right to play the Tribesmen, with Mayo having already beaten Leitrim in a Connacht quarter-final.

Rossfan

Poor RhubarbĂ­ns need 3 games to win Connacht while Herrins only need 1.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on November 08, 2020, 12:28:36 AM
Poor RhubarbĂ­ns need 3 games to win Connacht while Herrins only need 1.
You mean "Herons" as in Heron chokers, don't you? That's what an oul' shawlie from the Claddagh told me anyway.

BTW, I thought I was the only one around who has got so used to the American election coverage that I am finding it hard to go to bed at a civilized time tonight.
What's your excuse? Shit scared ye won't keep the ball kicked out to us? >:( >:(

Rossfan

Hopefully we'll be able to kick an odd one to ourselves.
Fkn weird Ros v Rhubarbs in a Championship match and me nor anyone else going to it and it being played in November.
Also strange that Lar and his fellow travellers havent got this up to 100 pages.
Quare times we're livin in.
Anyway
UP ROS💛💙💛💙💛💙💛💙