Connacht SFC 2020

Started by Rossfan, October 26, 2020, 01:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

I think Sligo should fulfill the fixture but I suppose it was a paddling to nothing for them but it does take away from the integrity of the Championship.

You had Donegal and Tyrone facing off in the first weekend of Championship while Galway are parachuted into an All Ireland QF without having to play a game. It's a farce.

If they were doing a Championship this year, it should have been an open draw.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Itchy

Quote from: dublin7 on November 04, 2020, 10:26:46 AM
Quote from: oliverkelly on November 04, 2020, 08:31:11 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on November 04, 2020, 12:12:29 AM
I am skeptical no other counties are affected, Sligo is in the bottom 5 number of cases compared to others. Leitrim is the lowest yet the only 3 counties affected by covid along with Fermanagh.

I'd say a fair few cover-ups happening within county setups. Before you comment look at what the Dodgers did in the world series final game.

Privately I did say I would be surprised if they get to finish the championship. Imagine if covid had hit Mayo, Roscommon and Galway would Sligo be Connacht champions by default? It's farcical.

For me I am disappointed in part because you always think you have a chance but also know we likely avoided a hammering. I just care about the wellbeing of everyone affected tbh and their families. Wishing all a speedy recovery.

Strange how come the championship none of the big counties seem to have been effected. Wexford for example has seen a massive spike in cases in the last few weeks mainly due to the GAA, but none of their players missed the game at the weekend. Cavan has one of the worst infection rates in the country yet they haven't lost any players.

With the minimal testing in place it seems you have to be really unlucky to lose a player to Covid.

What are you on about? Plenty of more counties have been effected by covid. Antrim and Offaly hurlers. Wexford had four cases on their football team and two on their hurling team. Tyrone had a confirmed case on their football team as had Donegal a bit before the league. We ourselves were down 14 players and our manager for the league game against Cavan, We missed all those for two weeks training and only had them back last Saturday.

Cavan had plenty of issues from COVID, the entire Crosserlough team was missing for our league game against Kildare. Our issues started before most counties and effected the league more so that the championship. We had two potential starters missing against Monaghan but I am not sure why. Cavan also took extra precautions for their league games as a result, players driving individually to matches instead of using a team bus. Roscommon used a bus to Armagh and cost themselves 14 players. I dont know what Sligo were doing but maybe they werent following best practice. You also have no evidence to back up any alegations of COVID test "fraud" in any county.

dublin7

Quote from: Itchy on November 04, 2020, 11:35:58 AM
I am skeptical no other counties are affected, Sligo is in the bottom 5 number of cases compared to others. Leitrim is the lowest yet the only 3 counties affected by covid along with Fermanagh.

I'd say a fair few cover-ups happening within county setups. Before you comment look at what the Dodgers did in the world series final game.

Privately I did say I would be surprised if they get to finish the championship. Imagine if covid had hit Mayo, Roscommon and Galway would Sligo be Connacht champions by default? It's farcical.

For me I am disappointed in part because you always think you have a chance but also know we likely avoided a hammering. I just care about the wellbeing of everyone affected tbh and their families. Wishing all a speedy recovery.

Strange how come the championship none of the big counties seem to have been effected. Wexford for example has seen a massive spike in cases in the last few weeks mainly due to the GAA, but none of their players missed the game at the weekend. Cavan has one of the worst infection rates in the country yet they haven't lost any players.

With the minimal testing in place it seems you have to be really unlucky to lose a player to Covid.

What are you on about? Plenty of more counties have been effected by covid. Antrim and Offaly hurlers. Wexford had four cases on their football team and two on their hurling team. Tyrone had a confirmed case on their football team as had Donegal a bit before the league. We ourselves were down 14 players and our manager for the league game against Cavan, We missed all those for two weeks training and only had them back last Saturday.

Cavan had plenty of issues from COVID, the entire Crosserlough team was missing for our league game against Kildare. Our issues started before most counties and effected the league more so that the championship. We had two potential starters missing against Monaghan but I am not sure why. Cavan also took extra precautions for their league games as a result, players driving individually to matches instead of using a team bus. Roscommon used a bus to Armagh and cost themselves 14 players. I dont know what Sligo were doing but maybe they werent following best practice. You also have no evidence to back up any alegations of COVID test "fraud" in any county.

I never mentioned fraud, you did. What I did say was the testing is minimal compared to rugby and soccer. If you don't test players you won't find covid. I'm not the only cyncial one when it comes to testing. Club championshis have shown players are willing to cover up tests, Sean Cavanagh believes players will cover up symptoms avoid tests if they have to. Conor McKenna admitted Tyrone didn't take up the rapid test option from the GAA after one of their players tested positive for Covid a couple of weeks ago.

magpie seanie

To be honest it's very disappointing to see people speculating when they do not know the full facts. And the full facts are to do with the health of amateur players it must be remembered.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 04, 2020, 01:27:40 PM
To be honest it's very disappointing to see people speculating when they do not know the full facts. And the full facts are to do with the health of amateur players it must be remembered.

Totally agree, those speculating need to cop themselves on. The main story here is about the Sligo players that got the virus and I hope they all make a quick and fully recovery. Sligo GAA are right to be upset that this fixture isn't rescheduled and are forced to give a walk over, John Prenty staying very quiet I noticed.

Rossfan

Could easily have moved the Final back a week to facilitate Sligo.
There would still be 2 weeks to the AI semi.
Why do I keep thinking if it was Galway or Rhubarbia we'd see a different outcome.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

macdanger2

Quote from: Rossfan on November 04, 2020, 01:53:53 PM
Could easily have moved the Final back a week to facilitate Sligo.
There would still be 2 weeks to the AI semi.
Why do I keep thinking if it was Galway or Rhubarbia we'd see a different outcome.

What happens if one of the teams in the final test positive? It's hardly fair to say "tough sh*t" to them.

So long as they don't make a different call on future games, every team has a fair shot

Tubberman

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 04, 2020, 01:46:16 PM

Totally agree, those speculating need to cop themselves on. The main story here is about the Sligo players that got the virus and I hope they all make a quick and fully recovery. Sligo GAA are right to be upset that this fixture isn't rescheduled and are forced to give a walk over, John Prenty staying very quiet I noticed.

He's not really - I've heard him on the news twice today saying that Sligo never requested a postponement and that a week wouldn't have been much good to them if they did because you need to isolate for 10 or 14 days.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 04, 2020, 09:46:41 AM
How many players did the Galway u20 have missing through Covid for an All Ireland semi, I'm fairly sure it was was at least 5?

6 or 7 I think.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 04, 2020, 01:46:16 PM

Prenty was doing the rounds this morning.

QuoteConnacht Council CEO John Prenty says it wouldn't have been possible to postpone this Saturday's provincial semi-final between Sligo and Galway.

Sligo have withdrawn from the Championship due to a number of positive coronavirus tests among their panel and former Roscommon goalkeeper Shane Curran feels a postponement should have been afforded to the Yeats County.

"The regulations set up by the national CCCC is that unless there's a clear 13 days between the original fixture and the next fixture then you have to give a walkover," Prenty said on OTB AM.

"There isn't 13 days between the Connacht semi-finals and the final so Sligo took the decision to concede the game, they didn't look for a postponement because close contacts are out of action for 14 days so a postponement wouldn't have helped the situation.

"The situation not only involves Sligo, it also involves Mayo, Roscommon and Galway. If we had postponed the Connacht semi-final from Saturday to the following week that would also mean postponing the final.

"The Galway, Mayo or Roscommon could get in the same situation and then you're exasperating the problem down the line. There's no wiggle room really because of the national schedule and the unpredictability about what's going to happen with COVID."

The Connacht CEO also responded to claims that an accommodation would have been reached for one of the traditionally strong county teams.

"Everybody in this situation is going to be dealt with in exactly the same way. Everybody knew the situation when we were thrilled to be able to get the Championship going.

"I think last weekend for the whole country it was great for people who were isolated and at home to be able to watch and listen to games. Unfortunately Sligo are in this situation but this is an unprecedented pandemic and unfortunately Sligo are in the situation which they are.

"I'd like to compliment Sligo on the huge efforts they made, because their protocols have been A1 and they've dealt with this in the best and most appropriate manner possible, they've done exactly the right thing."

galwayman

Whatever the ins and outs of all of this are - it's very disappointing for Sligo not to be able to play in this championship.
Best wishes to all affected players.

rosnarun

Quote from: galwayman on November 04, 2020, 03:23:19 PM
Whatever the ins and outs of all of this are - it's very disappointing for Sligo not to be able to play in this championship.
Best wishes to all affected players.
its an awful shame but if postponement were allowed its very easy to see the whole thing be coming a mess.  how many players wouls you need for a postpone ment /  do 5 subs = one star player how do you proved it covid related as oppose to a normal injury crisis ?
the 2021 championship would be finished before it
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Itchy

Quote from: dublin7 on November 04, 2020, 11:58:57 AM

I never mentioned fraud, you did. What I did say was the testing is minimal compared to rugby and soccer. If you don't test players you won't find covid. I'm not the only cyncial one when it comes to testing. Club championshis have shown players are willing to cover up tests, Sean Cavanagh believes players will cover up symptoms avoid tests if they have to. Conor McKenna admitted Tyrone didn't take up the rapid test option from the GAA after one of their players tested positive for Covid a couple of weeks ago.

You implied it

No evidence produced, just shite talk

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Itchy on November 04, 2020, 07:26:38 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 04, 2020, 11:58:57 AM

You implied it

No evidence produced, just shite talk

He's well known for that on here.

larryin89

When do Roscommon usually name their team ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .