building a house

Started by JPF, July 23, 2009, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 24, 2022, 08:41:56 AM
Quote from: Nailer on January 24, 2022, 05:35:14 AM
Take a look back on this thread, there were a number of companies recommended  for granite worktops and quartz. Not sure about spray / hand painting recommendations,

We got the doors painted by a guy from Ards direction, gave the kitchen a real do up at the time, good job, mid Ulster granite is where we got our new work top, expensive enough to be fair, waiting on it to be fitted so can't say how it is until then
We had ours done by Lamont Stone. They wont work from drawings, instead do a 3D laser scan of the installed carcasses. They then take full responsibility for anything that doesn't fit.
Again not cheap but 6 years on no issues.

RedHand88

Anyone any experience with getting connected using Openreach?
Got a bill for just £200 from them for "site survey plus duct and cable".
I take it this isn't the total bill and they'll charge for digging, connecting to the network etc?

Can't get anyone on the phone.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 11, 2022, 01:15:53 PM
I take it this isn't the total bill and they'll charge for digging, connecting to the network etc?

I think they quoted me something similar. Can't remember if it was an actual invoice or not. I didn't pay it and am in the house about 5 years now (broadband and all). I wouldn't bother paying it till they come looking for it, provided they have left the ducting and cable with you. They don't install the duct, cable etc. You have to do that yourself taking it from the house to whatever pole they surveyed to. You just pull the cable from the house to the roadside box they also supply. They will come back when you are ready to be connected and hook it up at either end.

They also usually leave a fibre cable you can pull through at the same time to leave it in place if/when fibre is strung from the pole passing your property.

Franko

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 11, 2022, 01:15:53 PM

Sent you a pm RH

Erne Man

Folks, have any self builders on here had any luck trying to get a Fibrus connection to their new build?
Our house has a Fibrus fibre line & box about 25m from the front door, but because the build hadn't commenced when Project Stratum was rolled out, I can't get access to it.
I've tried talking to Fibrus who don't want to know. They recommended talking to a local MLA who is even less interested!
I've been told it will be 5yrs before Fibrus release their infrastructure for general use, but don't know whether they will release to new builds outside Stratum before then.

LeoMc

Does anyone have any experience of exterior wall cladding. I am looking at a terraced house in Belfast with a 2 storey extension out the back with no cavity wall. I am looking some way to limit heat loss and want to factor in the costs.

Look-Up!

Quote from: LeoMc on February 22, 2022, 12:58:57 PM
Does anyone have any experience of exterior wall cladding. I am looking at a terraced house in Belfast with a 2 storey extension out the back with no cavity wall. I am looking some way to limit heat loss and want to factor in the costs.
Considering something similar for a stone house but no practical experience with it. I believe you're talking around 6 inches onto your wall by all accounts so it will have implications for your roof and windows. Old window sills will more than likely not be protruding that far but that's manageable but roof soffit could be a major problem. How big is the overhang on the roof? Also interested to hear from any builders with experience.

LeoMc

Quote from: Look-Up! on February 22, 2022, 07:43:27 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on February 22, 2022, 12:58:57 PM
Considering something similar for a stone house but no practical experience with it. I believe you're talking around 6 inches onto your wall by all accounts so it will have implications for your roof and windows. Old window sills will more than likely not be protruding that far but that's manageable but roof soffit could be a major problem. How big is the overhang on the roof? Also interested to hear from any builders with experience.
From memory it had 5windows and a set of patio doors. If I add that and a bit of roofing it may not be worth the investment.

knockitdown

Looking at buying a small plot of land with a derelict house. NIE has been disconnected many years ago as it was coming in overhead and onto the gable peak. The main pole is at the opposite side of the main road directly opposite the house. Anyone know what NIE will be looking to charge to cross the main road with a cable? Category B road, ie main road with white line up the middle. Basically a days work but I've heard these guys can have thousands for this kind of thing?

RedHand88

Quote from: knockitdown on May 03, 2022, 08:42:47 PM
Looking at buying a small plot of land with a derelict house. NIE has been disconnected many years ago as it was coming in overhead and onto the gable peak. The main pole is at the opposite side of the main road directly opposite the house. Anyone know what NIE will be looking to charge to cross the main road with a cable? Category B road, ie main road with white line up the middle. Basically a days work but I've heard these guys can have thousands for this kind of thing?

Not the exact same as yours but mine was £5400 to run an underground cable from the house 70m to the transformer just at the entrance to my site. Didnt have to dig up the road or cross the road. Got it done in a day. Have heard horror stories of 15k+ from ones who's nearest transformer is half a kilometre away. Have you one nearby at least?

What I will say is get onto NIE asap if you want to get the work done. I applied last May and the job was only done a fortnight ago!

Armagh Girl

Just paid around £3600 for NIE to take a cable across land underground 150metres.  Put an application or make an enquiry to NIE as they are really on the ball at getting back to you, they will carry out a survey and also give you a Dual Pricing for Full Works Option and Non Contestable Option (we chose the Full Works as it was most competitive).  We had a fella Mark McConaghey in NIE who dealt with us and he was brilliant from start to finish.  If for some reason you don't go ahead with it you don't have to. It is all very smooth running and everything was done at the time he stated it would be. 

knockitdown

Thanks folks. I get the feeling I could be on the wrong side of a 10k bill here given it's to cross a main road and all their fees associated with that!

OrchardRow

Hi all, any advice appreciated. Just wondering what the views are on the building at the minute - I am planning to start in a couple of weeks (no spade in the ground yet) and am wondering am I wise in the head? Mortgage, PP, BC, etc. all approved.

Is there anyone in the thick of it at the minute and what are prices, availability of materials, etc. like? Are these likely to come down? House is near touching 3000sq ft. Building in the north.

RedHand88

Quote from: OrchardRow on May 16, 2022, 12:38:12 PM
Hi all, any advice appreciated. Just wondering what the views are on the building at the minute - I am planning to start in a couple of weeks (no spade in the ground yet) and am wondering am I wise in the head? Mortgage, PP, BC, etc. all approved.

Is there anyone in the thick of it at the minute and what are prices, availability of materials, etc. like? Are these likely to come down? House is near touching 3000sq ft. Building in the north.

I'm about halfway through. Was told by contractor that the price of insulation is up a fortune so price is bring revised. Stone up a bit too. Think timber has stabilised. Plywood board for flooring was hard to get but they got sorted.
If you wait, is it likely to get better... or worse? Depending on your life situation you may want in quicker or be able to wait a while.
I don't think you're mad if you go ahead. There's nothing to say prices won't continue to rise and you'll regret not starting sooner. I'm certainly glad we started when we did.
There are houses going up all over the country so alot of people certainly think its worth going for now.

trueblue1234

Quote from: OrchardRow on May 16, 2022, 12:38:12 PM

Costs are through the roof to be honest. Everything from wood, steel, etc unreal prices. But how long will you be waiting til things are any better? It's one of those things where if your going to build, may as well get on with it. But try and make sure you've allowed for price increases in your budget. Things are going up weekly at the minute!!

Edit. Redhand beat me to it but same jist!!
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit