The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Giovanni on August 31, 2017, 10:42:48 AM
If we're talking about getting a wider spread of players, you'd have to wonder why Portlaoise are not able to produce a single player capable of getting on the u-14 hurling squad???

This is the single most important job of the new hurling development head in Laois. Hurling is dead in Portlaoise. They don't feature at schools level, underage level and their senior (intermediate) team is a long way from what it was 10 years ago.

clonadmad

Quote from: Laoisguy on August 31, 2017, 11:29:21 AM
Quote from: Giovanni on August 31, 2017, 10:42:48 AM
If we're talking about getting a wider spread of players, you'd have to wonder why Portlaoise are not able to produce a single player capable of getting on the u-14 hurling squad???

Mountrath has one player on it. That club has also seriously underperformed when it comes to supplying inter-county players.
Correct Gio

strike rate not good enough for the town

A special hurling development plan needs to be put into place in  Portlaoise Parish and then acted upon,whether we like it or not,it has more than a quarter of the county population.

anything up to 70% of the boys in the parish primary schools arent playing the game in any shape or form.

I see Pat Critchley is retired from the Convent,Im sure it wouldnt take a lot in terms of finance or cajoling to appoint him to be Portlaoise Parish Primary School hurling Czar and put structures in place.

Bring back the street leagues for starters.

Keyser Söze

Correct Clonad regarding the difference playing over two days would make. AFAIK they used to be.

BTW is there any reason Laois (given our Geographic location) couldn't organise u14/16 tournaments of similar prestige?
You have the Fr Brown Avenue and Rathleague a few minutes away from each other. Each capable of holding 2/3 groups and also OMP for finals.
Laois would have a small advantage as the home team too.

Great work from the 14s. Well done.

On the towns issue, Portlaoise with no u14 county player is shocking. But there's the world of difference between being appalled and engaging with the problem. And at the end of the day Portlaoise GAA are going to have to lead this engagement.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 31, 2017, 12:56:12 PM
Correct Clonad regarding the difference playing over two days would make. AFAIK they used to be.

BTW is there any reason Laois (given our Geographic location) couldn't organise u14/16 tournaments of similar prestige?
You have the Fr Brown Avenue and Rathleague a few minutes away from each other. Each capable of holding 2/3 groups and also OMP for finals.
Laois would have a small advantage as the home team too.

Great work from the 14s. Well done.

On the towns issue, Portlaoise with no u14 county player is shocking. But there's the world of difference between being appalled and engaging with the problem. And at the end of the day Portlaoise GAA are going to have to lead this engagement.

It would be a great idea in fairness to bid to host,say the u14 Forristal/Walsh competitions.

Waterford had the group stages in 4 club grounds and the final in Walsh Park,Im sure we could more than do this with grounds in easy reach of OMP and the Centre of Excellence

OTF

Is it not a problem for the wider GAA same as Dublin was on a smaller scale.
I've bought up this subject many times and no one it seems even want to discuss it.

We spent the whole of last winter discussing amalgamation and the problem rural clubs were having numbers wise, here we have serious numbers just waiting for someone to look after them.
Thats the issue WTF is looking after them. With the best will in the world one club couldn't look after those numbers.
The GAA at national level needs to act in regard to towns in a similar situation to Portlaoise.

Keyser Söze

The TF/SW are in memory of Waterford men, so it would probably be hard to get those. Similarly the Arrabawn was the Nenagh Co-op so again I can't imagine that will move.

No reason Laois couldn't find a weekend to run an U14 & u16. Or u13/15 next year.
Enough clubs around within a few minutes drive of Portlaoise to run both the same weekend and have both finals as a double header in OMP on the Sunday.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: OTF on August 31, 2017, 01:43:55 PM
Is it not a problem for the wider GAA same as Dublin was on a smaller scale.
I've bought up this subject many times and no one it seems even want to discuss it.

We spent the whole of last winter discussing amalgamation and the problem rural clubs were having numbers wise, here we have serious numbers just waiting for someone to look after them.
Thats the issue WTF is looking after them. With the best will in the world one club couldn't look after those numbers.
The GAA at national level needs to act in regard to towns in a similar situation to Portlaoise.

I don't think an excessive amount of Laois GAA funds should be allocated to schools in Portlaoise (not at the expense of other schools/clubs anyways).
I'm not saying that Laois GAA don't have a role to play, but the drive/initiative must come from Portlaoise GAA in my opinion.

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 31, 2017, 02:02:10 PM
The TF/SW are in memory of Waterford men, so it would probably be hard to get those. Similarly the Arrabawn was the Nenagh Co-op so again I can't imagine that will move.

No reason Laois couldn't find a weekend to run an U14 & u16. Or u13/15 next year.
Enough clubs around within a few minutes drive of Portlaoise to run both the same weekend and have both finals as a double header in OMP on the Sunday.

Highly unlikely you would get the same calibre of teams if you were to run a second u14/16 competition,the Forristal and Arrabawn are seen as the all ireland championships at this level,No harm in the CB breaking the habit of a lifetime and asking to host one of those competitions,ye never know what might happen.

Theres a gap in the market for an all ireland u15 competition as its currently a provincial competition.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: clonadmad on August 31, 2017, 02:38:59 PM

Highly unlikely you would get the same calibre of teams if you were to run a second u14/16 competition,the Forristal and Arrabawn are seen as the all ireland championships at this level,No harm in the CB breaking the habit of a lifetime and asking to host one of those competitions,ye never know what might happen.

Theres a gap in the market for an all ireland u15 competition as its currently a provincial competition.

You are not going to take over from these tournaments.
But there is no reason Laois couldn't start a tournament and build it up into the second most important weekend!
A one off hosting of either of the them isn't what I'd be aiming for.

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 31, 2017, 03:51:11 PM

But there is no reason Laois couldn't start a tournament and build it up into the second most important weekend!
Should we not spend our money better than hosting these tournaments?

clonadmad

Quote from: Don Draper on August 31, 2017, 03:52:07 PM

go on then Don,enlighten us

what would an u15  championship over 1 day cost to run?.

Considering theres this crazy new business concept called Sponsorship knocking around,you might have heard of it.

It wouldn't do underage hurling in the county any harm,I'm sure if it was on,in OMP,Laois hurling people,mentors and juvenile players would head in to look at it and maybe take a good bit away from it also.

Keyser Söze

I couldn't see it costing a fortune.
You don't get fed etc at any of these tournaments.
A couple of hundred euros for referees, groundsmen etc. I'm sure it's the kind of thing that some semi national company would like to be associated with too.

I think the PR involved and the possible support, feel good factor and interest that would be created by a Laois team competing well (such as the U14s last weekend reaching a semi final) would be worth anything.
Imagine the support that group would have had at a semi final with word spreading on social media, whatsapp groups etc.
Maybe it is a stupid idea, but I think it could be a fantastic PR exercise in promoting a want to hurl with Laois, and a drive to be good enough to do so.

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 31, 2017, 09:13:54 PM
I couldn't see it costing a fortune.
You don't get fed etc at any of these tournaments.
A couple of hundred euros for referees, groundsmen etc. I'm sure it's the kind of thing that some semi national company would like to be associated with too.

I think the PR involved and the possible support, feel good factor and interest that would be created by a Laois team competing well (such as the U14s last weekend reaching a semi final) would be worth anything.
Imagine the support that group would have had at a semi final with word spreading on social media, whatsapp groups etc.
Maybe it is a stupid idea, but I think it could be a fantastic PR exercise in promoting a want to hurl with Laois, and a drive to be good enough to do so.

My thoughts exactly

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on August 31, 2017, 04:15:09 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on August 31, 2017, 03:52:07 PM

go on then Don,enlighten us

what would an u15  championship over 1 day cost to run?.

Considering theres this crazy new business concept called Sponsorship knocking around,you might have heard of it.

It wouldn't do underage hurling in the county any harm,I'm sure if it was on,in OMP,Laois hurling people,mentors and juvenile players would head in to look at it and maybe take a good bit away from it also.

If we have local businesses wishing to invest in Laois hurling, it would be better to put it into the Development squads as opposed to spending it on hosting a tournaments when good ones already exist.

And shove your saracasm up your hoop.

Giovanni

Interesting to hear Tommy Walsh talk about how they were beaten by Laois in the Arrabawn shield final back in the day. Amazing to think about the divergent fortunes of those two Arrabawn teams. It really shows how important it is to work consistently with these players over a long period of time.