Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: seafoid on March 11, 2024, 06:30:22 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 11, 2024, 06:14:20 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 03, 2024, 08:19:22 PMWatched Oppenheimer the other night, thought it was very good and while I knew the general history behind his involvement, this gave a bit more depth about him.
I thought it was top class all around and totally deserved the Oscar hattrick. The film succeeded on so many levels

There aren't that many really good films nowadays. Oppenheimer is really an exception. Creativity in the arts  is very weak. It's much easier to throw out another film in a series.

Rubbish.

seafoid

Quote from: gallsman on March 11, 2024, 06:50:07 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 11, 2024, 06:30:22 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 11, 2024, 06:14:20 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 03, 2024, 08:19:22 PMWatched Oppenheimer the other night, thought it was very good and while I knew the general history behind his involvement, this gave a bit more depth about him.
I thought it was top class all around and totally deserved the Oscar hattrick. The film succeeded on so many levels

There aren't that many really good films nowadays. Oppenheimer is really an exception. Creativity in the arts  is very weak. It's much easier to throw out another film in a series.

Rubbish.
Music is similar
Stewart Lee identified the problem a decade ago

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/bea2c458-14fd-11e1-a2a6-00144feabdc0.html#
"It's all over. There'll come a point when somebody will suddenly realise – there's loads and loads of Coldplay but there isn't a Radiohead, there's loads and loads of ITV1 sitcoms, and things with Robert Lindsay in a house, but there isn't a League of Gentlemen. Someone will be reading an embossed novel about a missing artefact, and they will suddenly think, 'Didn't there use to be books that were not just a list of events?' " (Lee's well-known parody of a typical Dan Brown sentence goes: "The famous man looked at the red cup.") In 40 years, he reckons, people will be saying, "Where's all that stuff gone that was ... good?"

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

During covid there was a definite drop in quality

Has some what improved lately but seems lacking originality at times and reverting to redoing old films or adding a digit on the end of a film (expendables and that car film I've never seen)

We could be missing plenty of decent films if the screenplay hasn't a 'Box Office' look about it and no producer will take a chance with it..

Think Netflix films and Prime are diluting things also
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

markl121

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 11, 2024, 07:12:13 PMDuring covid there was a definite drop in quality

Has some what improved lately but seems lacking originality at times and reverting to redoing old films or adding a digit on the end of a film (expendables and that car film I've never seen)

We could be missing plenty of decent films if the screenplay hasn't a 'Box Office' look about it and no producer will take a chance with it..

dunno about the drop in quality, bond and top gun were covid movies and both unreal

Milltown Row2

Top gun? Watched the trailer, which you'd have the best bits to hook the punter in, that wasn't great, but I'll give it a go

But as I said sequels or redos are plenty
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tbrick18

Quote from: markl121 on March 11, 2024, 07:24:26 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 11, 2024, 07:12:13 PMDuring covid there was a definite drop in quality

dunno about the drop in quality, bond and top gun were covid movies and both unreal

Top gun was pure tripe.

jcpen

Top Gun was epic. Loved it.
Not Tufll or from Laois

God14

I enjoyed Top Gun as well. A guilty pleasure lol