Dublin v's Monaghan

Started by DUBSFORSAM1, March 03, 2008, 12:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

1-10 to 0-10 65min. Monaghan have just won a really soft free which Freeman has put over, he's some player.
1-10 to 0-11 now.

Zulu

2min left 1-10 to 0-12 can Monaghan snatch a draw?

Zulu

Dubs down to 13 Cullen off and they now have an easy free to level it and they have 0-13 to 1-10. Great match and it's over.

INDIANA

bar the last 20 -a poor game in terms of standard overall. a terrible ref and too many frees. Happy enough though -if i was from monaghan i'd be worried. couldn't beat a 13 man dublin team missing their 3 best players and they can't seem to score fromplay. I backed them heavily  for ulster this year - beginning to wonder about my investment after that today ;D ;D

Jinxy

If Caffrey had left midfield alone when Ryan was running the show they would have won by 4/5 points. Another lesson not learned from previous years. When Ryan is your best midfielder, leave him there. Some very soft free's for Monaghan. Brogan should be shot for looking to pass that ball back to Sherlock. Pretty sure his brother would have kept it for himself in the same position!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Main Street

Caffrey moans about the ref but I think he could have replaced Vaughan and Bonner at HT.
Some lovely play by the Dubs for about 15 minutes in the second half.  
Monaghan can take strength from another good finish. Dubs panicked too much at the end.
I suppose we will get the usual comments about Monaghan needing to worry :)

orangeman

-if i was from monaghan i'd be worried   I can't agree there Indiana - Dublin only went down to 13 at the end and usually the 14 man tam goes on to win - Dublin should have won the match but didn't take their chances - I'd say Mc Eneaney will be the happier of the 2 managers this evening. I thought Monaghan really took the game to Dublin and outmuscled them in a lot of areas - Monaghan also appeared to be fitter than Dublin. Whelan brought a lot of experience and know how on to the team. Jayo was a handful.

I think your investment on Monaghan is still good value. Dublin have their eyes not only on Leinster but ultimately the AI so I think Monaghan will be happy enough especially considering they were in Parnell Park - a difficult venue for visitors.

jodyb

Quote from: orangeman on March 23, 2008, 04:12:40 PM
-if i was from monaghan i'd be worried   I can't agree there Indiana - Dublin only went down to 13 at the end and usually the 14 man tam goes on to win - Dublin should have won the match but didn't take their chances - I'd say Mc Eneaney will be the happier of the 2 managers this evening. I thought Monaghan really took the game to Dublin and outmuscled them in a lot of areas - Monaghan also appeared to be fitter than Dublin. Whelan brought a lot of experience and know how on to the team. Jayo was a handful.

I think your investment on Monaghan is still good value. Dublin have their eyes not only on Leinster but ultimately the AI so I think Monaghan will be happy enough especially considering they were in Parnell Park - a difficult venue for visitors.
Where does that leave your own county orangeman?? ???

Zulu

Quotebar the last 20 -a poor game in terms of standard overall.

I thought it was a very good match, winter type football yes but both teams threw themselves into the fray wholeheartedly and some of the defending was top class. It was a bit free riddled but it was a match that both sets of supporters could and did get into.

Orior

Enjoyable match from my neutral perspective. The ref did blow up a little too often but any debatable decisions balanced out over the game.

Based on what I saw, I'd be more worried about meeting Monaghan than Dublin in the summer.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

tyroneboi

Thought the 2nd half was very good entertainment (at least compared to Man U v Liverpool). Monaghan had a bad 20 mins or so in the 2nd half but didnt panic and thats what probably brought them back into the game albeit with a little help from the referee. Sherlock looked good for the dubs and it looks like Bernard Brogan is shaping up to be a better player than his brother. 2 good teams and a decent game overall. Dublin v Armagh should be a good game.

INDIANA

you got to be kidding orangeman- that was their full whack- we were missing 3 allstars
They were 5 up against 14 men
They scored one point from play
Despite all that they needed a referee to give them a draw after dublin had made 5 changes. Granted we could have closed it out but we'd made 5 changes at that stage.
Honestly i expected Monaghan to win by 5 points beforehand considering our selection. I would be seriously worried about my investment today. i'm not saying dublin are any great shakes because they aren't. but for all the talk about Monaghan this year-i was highly disappointed with them -ive written them off for the all-ireland and have serious reservations about them winning ulster- i hope to christ they improve before the championship.

Jinxy

Quote from: Orior on March 23, 2008, 04:20:20 PM
Enjoyable match from my neutral perspective. The ref did blow up a little too often but any debatable decisions balanced out over the game.

Based on what I saw, I'd be more worried about meeting Monaghan than Dublin in the summer.

Why?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hound

Quote from: tyroneboi on March 23, 2008, 04:20:43 PM
Thought the 2nd half was very good entertainment (at least compared to Man U v Liverpool). Monaghan had a bad 20 mins or so in the 2nd half but didnt panic and thats what probably brought them back into the game albeit with a little help from the referee. Sherlock looked good for the dubs and it looks like Bernard Brogan is shaping up to be a better player than his brother. 2 good teams and a decent game overall. Dublin v Armagh should be a good game.
Well said.
Two poor decisions by the ref to give very soft frees for Monaghan at the end to get the draw - but the ref probably would have done the same had the boot been on the other foot.

The longer the game went on the less the two sides liked each other. If they do both make the league final it could be tasty. Though I'm sure other teams will have a bit to say before thats a reality.

Rossfan

Quote from: INDIANA on March 23, 2008, 04:29:42 PM
i'm not saying dublin are any great shakes because they aren't. but for all the talk about Monaghan this year-i was highly disappointed with them -ive written them off for the all-ireland and have serious reservations about them winning ulster

There are no championships won in March.
Monaghan werent great but still got a point and finished well. Dublin should have had it won at that stage.
As for the 2 sendings off -what the **** could they expect -Vaughan already on a tick and a yellow,Cullen already on a yellow and rugby tackled a man to stop an attack.
Caffrey was out of order blaming the ref for being one sided - at one stage everything was a Dublin free.
TG4 also out of order - having a 5 minute interview with one manager and no word at all with anyone from the other camp.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM