Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unison

Quote from: Joeythelips on June 15, 2018, 10:04:01 AM
Quote from: BallyroanAbu on June 15, 2018, 08:08:37 AM
Lads this is a great Dublin team we are on the first steps of a journey,  I think the Leinster Final will be a harsh lesson in the gap between Dublin & Laois.  Enjoy the occasion but hopefully Laois keep their eye on the ball winning the Super 8 Qualifier game would be an outrageous achievement.  Laois won’t be beating Dublin but hopefully we keep our eye on the real prize the Super 8’s which is highly achievable with a favorable draw.  Regardless it has been some year but this should not paper over the issues we have at juvenile level.  Where we simply are not producing enough to compete at the top table.

No one is under any illusions, this Dublin side is easily one of the best Football teams I have ever seen, but our lads are not going up there to give them a guard of honour. All sports are littered with David v Goliath triumphs, GAA is no different. It may be unlikely, granted, but if Laois play to their absolute maximum and get a bit of luck on the day their is still that chance, however slim, that they could pull of the counties greatest ever victory.

Again I know how talented the Dublin team are but picture this scenario for example. It has been mentioned here about Cluxton being out, so Laois target the keeper early on, they push up on his kickouts, he hits a few dodgy ones early and the pressure builds on a guy who has never tasted big match days. I know a poster said he did fine the last day, but that is coming on in a game that was basically over and his expectations for that day would have being to warm the bench for the full 70 mins. He will now have the full build up and parade the works. Next minute Donie Kingston is contesting a high ball with him.
Also in the Longford game Cooper should have got the line for a blatant punch, that will be in the refs mind hopefully, Laois are niggling at him early on, he might throw back the elbow as the guy cant help himself and get the line. Obviously Im not saying these things will happen but it shows Dublin getting under pressure would not be beyond the bounds of possibilities.

I also know the other side of the coin where the Dubs get a goal or 2 early and suddenly the game is about damage limitation after 20 minutes, but we live in hope.

Hopefully Dublin won't get those early goals as they did against Longford. It seems to be a strategy of theirs to put the opposition away as early as possible. For different reasons, just as a decent start was important against Carlow, its imperative against Dublin.

redsetanta

Last Leinster final we were doing fine but hit with sucker punch goals either side of half time.

In saying that when we played them under O'Flaharta, as Tony said, we lead at half time and in previous years we seem to have been the only team in Leinster that could compete with them and cause them problems.

Pity Attride is missing after his cracking goal in Nowlan Park. It's a breath of fresh air listen to a Laois manager who knows and believes what he's saying. That's been lacking for a while!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Jd

The Dublin sub keeper came in the last day with Dublin around 10 points up and Longford down to 14 men. Might be a bit different in his first Leinster final with Laois hopefully close and a full compliment of players pushing up on kickouts. Kerry did it to cluxton 2 years ago and should have beaten Dublin and I suspect that this fella is no Cluxton........on the point of underage development I read that Monaghan don't really worry about winning minor or u20s competitions. They view those teams as a way to identify one or two new players fit to play senior thus having a constant supply of fresh lads coming through. Could we name 2 from the u20s fit for senior next year. Crowley has done it. Possibly there's two or 3 more so not too bad overall

les Antiques

Such a refreshing interview from an inter- county manager and its clearly evident his influence on the entire panel and set up .Laois have nothing to lose Sunday week . We are facing an incredible challenge against the possibly one of the greatest teams ever .
I can't recall a Dublin panel  without Bernard Brogan, Connelly or Cluxton collectively not involved on a matchday for the Dubs . It'll be interesting to see how they'll utilise Comerford considering how important Cluxton is . Comerford hadn't a single save to make when introduced against Longford . We can't make the same mistake .

Gmac

Would be more worried about this game and result if there was only one week between it and next round of qualifiers but now there is 2 so hopefully management can get everything thing out of the players and not worry about the result too much , use game as an opportunity to get more game time in Croke Park , tell Ross and Donie to empty the tank in the first 45 mine get all the subs on and get as many lads as possible a Leinster final big game experience .
Take it easy and recover week after game and then use following week to get ready for qualifier game and chance to make super 8 which would be unbelievable achievement .

Unison

Is there any idea yet who Laois could possibly meet in the qualifiers?

on the hop

In relation to the qualifiers next week end will clear out some of the weaker teams, the following week the eight winners play off and the winners play the four losing provincial finalists. A lot of strong teams left

Clubber Lang

In the qualifiers you could potentially have a combination of Tyrone, Monaghan, Mayo and Kildare coming through from round three. Making the Super 8s won't be easy. Best option is to simply go and win Leinster.     

Giovanni

If we do end up in the qualifiers, aren't we guaranteed home advantage by virtue of our Div 4 status?

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Unlaoised

Attride probably a bigger loss than Cluxton in saying that it might disrupt Dublins machine a little .

Great buzz around the county and i hear ticket sales are going well .

Good to see so many Laois tops on youngsters again ...

Too be fair current Laois shirt is a cracker
LAOIS ABÚ

Jd

Think it's something like one at home, one away, and one in Croke Park. But I could have dreamt that too

Jd

Ooops I see you're talking qualifiers...... I was talking super 8. Jumped the gun a bit .sorry

The Saint

Thought the match last Sunday was desperate stuff but what else could we do? CRlow shouldn't be allowed into Croke Park for the next twenty years. Septic football on their behalf and two things stood out... the diving of Jordan Morrissey going into contact and also the in sportsmanship of the Carlow no:4.... he was screaming for cards off the ref every single time he went into a tackle with a Laois player. Turn your stomach. Absolutely love what Brody gives us in open play...think he really lifts the crowd with his forays forward and should be encouraged to keep this up... was very impressed how he slotted into full back during a Carlow attack and directed Timmons to stay put in goal... very confident stuff and I think it gives the team and supporters a boost. Thought JOL had a monster game at midfield and was delighted for Evan Carroll too.. tough circumstances and tough week for him. Last two points... we should look at damage limitation in the Leinster final, definitely go for it not like Carlow did, keep it respectable and enjoy the occasion. Who would have thought we'd be here at the start of this year? And finally, great chance to meet all the lads in OMP tomorrow evening... it's Slways a great night out and usually not supported too well. Put on the jersey, throw the kids in the car and go in and show our appreciation of these lads. They deserve it.

Laoiseabu