The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

The posters who said Leeds should go for a period of stability and avoiding sacking another manager  are probably right, but the problem is that Heckingbottom's CV was dubious in the first place and results since his arrival have been pretty dreadful. He has had 13 games in charge, which is almost one third of a season, and has presided over two wins, four draws and seven defeats - ten points out a possible 39 and a success rate of 15 per cent is relegation form by any standard.

In his defence, he took on a squad which was struggling, has since been hit by a serious list of injuries and had introduced some young players who are showing a fair degree of promise. However, there is little evidence of a particular style of play evolving, he has chopped and changed tactics and the fans are distinctly unimpressed.

On balance, he should be given the opportunity to recruit properly over the summer, organise an effective pre-season programme and start the next campaign on his own terms. His run to date means that his position will have to be kept under review, and as ever results will decide his fate.

However, the more immediate risk he faces is the local derby against his old club, Barnsley, this Saturday at Elland Road. Leeds won the away fixture 2-0 when they were going well under Christiansen. Barnsley are a very limited side and looking likely to be relegated. If Leeds slip up against them, Heckingbottom may not survive much longer.

SLIGONIAN

Great Appointment but risky at the same time. Hopefully his madness will suit us because we are a mad club. Strap in folks, gonna be a crazy ride.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Billys Boots

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 15, 2018, 06:35:42 PM
Great Appointment but risky at the same time. Hopefully his madness will suit us because we are a mad club. Strap in folks, gonna be a crazy ride.

Is Cloughie's tenure record in jeopardy - this lad has form.  He's also an excellent coach. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 18, 2018, 10:37:48 AM

Is Cloughie's tenure record in jeopardy - this lad has form.  He's also an excellent coach.
Given Leeds' form in recent years I'm surprised that it's still intact!

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Owenmoresider on June 18, 2018, 08:22:22 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on June 18, 2018, 10:37:48 AM

Given Leeds' form in recent years I'm surprised that it's still intact!
Anything is possible, read up lots on Bielsa, hes not had great success and if we dont sign his players like Lazio he will quit, but heres the thing i know leeds and Bielsa over and back alot agreeing terms so both sides covered that on both ends.

I think he is what we need though, we need a culture change and mentality change within the players, and Radrazzini will be reluctant to sack again so quickly, hopefully we get Abel Hernandez, Barkley and maybe stockdale although im hearing doubts about the later 2 with wage demands.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Mourne Rover

Bielsa is a heavyweight manager in any company but he would not be coming to Leeds if his record in reason seasons, arguably going back to 2012, was anything other than disappointing. Given that he speaks practically no English, has never coached in Britain or taken charge of a lower division side anywhere else and has been handed a squad which desperately lacks quality at a club which has underachieved for 15 seasons, there is a possibility that it could be another disastrous appointment.

However, Leeds are at last displaying ambition by recruiting him and he has clearly been given assurances about an appropriate transfer budget. He will shake the place up, and either the players will reach the level he requires or they will be shipped out.

Leeds have sacked far too many managers in recent years, but, with the exception of Monk, none of them had a proper CV in the first place. Bielsa does, he will have a plan and he will demand that it is implemented or he will be off. It is not going to be dull, and Leeds fans have a realistic hope that a revival is on the way.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Mourne Rover on June 19, 2018, 09:48:02 PM
Bielsa is a heavyweight manager in any company but he would not be coming to Leeds if his record in reason seasons, arguably going back to 2012, was anything other than disappointing. Given that he speaks practically no English, has never coached in Britain or taken charge of a lower division side anywhere else and has been handed a squad which desperately lacks quality at a club which has underachieved for 15 seasons, there is a possibility that it could be another disastrous appointment.

However, Leeds are at last displaying ambition by recruiting him and he has clearly been given assurances about an appropriate transfer budget. He will shake the place up, and either the players will reach the level he requires or they will be shipped out.

Leeds have sacked far too many managers in recent years, but, with the exception of Monk, none of them had a proper CV in the first place. Bielsa does, he will have a plan and he will demand that it is implemented or he will be off. It is not going to be dull, and Leeds fans have a realistic hope that a revival is on the way.

Agree totally with your point about too many managers getting the bullet - Bielsa is out tenth manager since 2014 and this coming season marks our fifth in a row that we're starting with a new manager. However I'd be interested in your take on 'CV', as I thought there were one or two others that had proven managerial pedigrees. Colin was one and I thought McDermott another, and I thought both got badly treated. Warnock in particular had a proven track record of getting clubs promoted from the Championship and to reinforce that, he did it again this year. 

Mourne Rover

It probably depends how far you go back, Rufus. Monk was probably the only Leeds manager from the last nine who had a CV at a decent level. The likes of Hockaday, Milanic, Evans, Christiansen and Heckingbottom were largely lower division journeymen or obscure figures from the smaller European leagues. Prior to their periods in charge, it is completely fair to say that Warnock and McDermott were harshly treated. The standard of football under Warnock was ordinary but he was never supported in the transfer market, while McDermott was stitched up when Cellino arrived as chairman. We are hopefully moving into a different era under Bilesa, but as we are all aware, you never really know what is coming around the corner at Elland Road.

Rufus T Firefly

What a great start to the season. Over 34,000 present and played the favourites for the title, off the pitch. Well worth the win and could have been more than just 3-1. Roofe got Man of the Match, but I thought Saiz was excellent in what was a great team effort. The style of football was lovely, but the one thing that struck me was how small a lot of the team looked compared to their opponents. A lot of the experts reckon we are likely to be undone going forward by lack of strength in depth, but all in all a great start.  8)

Captain Obvious

WTF was that after match manager interview about?

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on August 05, 2018, 11:15:00 PM
What a great start to the season. Over 34,000 present and played the favourites for the title, off the pitch. Well worth the win and could have been more than just 3-1. Roofe got Man of the Match, but I thought Saiz was excellent in what was a great team effort. The style of football was lovely, but the one thing that struck me was how small a lot of the team looked compared to their opponents. A lot of the experts reckon we are likely to be undone going forward by lack of strength in depth, but all in all a great start.  8)
Lots of players look small compared to Shawcross and Crouch😜. Hope Leeds can do the business this season, would love to see them get promoted.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 05, 2018, 11:34:49 PM

;D

Yes, up there with as bizarre as you are likely to see. Question asked in English. Translator whispers the question in Spanish into Bielsa's ear. Bielsa whispers back his response to the question, in Spanish. Translator then whispers back the translation of his response in English (which is audible) and then Bielsa attempts - with little success - to repeat what he has just heard.

Apparently Bielsa was determined to provide the answers himself but it makes for comic / painful viewing.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on August 06, 2018, 08:51:01 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 05, 2018, 11:34:49 PM

;D

Yes, up there with as bizarre as you are likely to see. Question asked in English. Translator whispers the question in Spanish into Bielsa's ear. Bielsa whispers back his response to the question, in Spanish. Translator then whispers back the translation of his response in English (which is audible) and then Bielsa attempts - with little success - to repeat what he has just heard.

Apparently Bielsa was determined to provide the answers himself but it makes for comic / painful viewing.

Like something out of a Marx brothers film😂