Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 28, 2024, 08:58:29 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 28, 2024, 08:46:43 AMWhat do the resident SF stalwarts here think of Michelle O'Neill standing for the Charlie Windsor song?

First minister for all?
It's a pity that the IFA are not a sport for all organisation, playing a divisive anthem and embracing a loyalist rag as many NI only sports seem to do. For people of my generation growing up in the '60's the sight was some what galling having union jacks and GSTQ rammed down our throats at every opportunity. But at the same time I can understand the motivation.

An Watcher

I would say it annoys the unionists/loyalists more than the republicans/nationalists.  While it isn't great it is worthwhile doing on the long run

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 28, 2024, 09:30:58 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 28, 2024, 08:46:43 AMWhat do the resident SF stalwarts here think of Michelle O'Neill standing for the Charlie Windsor song?

First minister for all?
It's a pity that the IFA are not a sport for all organisation, playing a divisive anthem and embracing a loyalist rag as many NI only sports seem to do. For people of my generation growing up in the '60's the sight was some what galling having union jacks and GSTQ rammed down our throats at every opportunity. But at the same time I can understand the motivation.

Which is surprising (considering how many catholics play organised soccer) for them and a loss of potentially world class players from ever turning out for them or parents even encouraging their kids to try 'new' sports outside of GAA.

Personally I never had any hang ups about flegs and anthems. I know its weaponised here by many but do we just allow others to have their culture (rightly or wrongly) and ignore it?  or do we constantly have angst and continue the sectarian culture, which for me has got worse since social media came on the scene
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 28, 2024, 09:46:04 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on February 28, 2024, 09:30:58 AM

First minister for all?

Which is surprising (considering how many catholics play organised soccer) for them and a loss of potentially world class players from ever turning out for them or parents even encouraging their kids to try 'new' sports outside of GAA.

Personally I never had any hang ups about flegs and anthems. I know its weaponised here by many but do we just allow others to have their culture (rightly or wrongly) and ignore it?  or do we constantly have angst and continue the sectarian culture, which for me has got worse since social media came on the scene
They certainly can have their culture, flags and bands. But the NI team are meant to be representative of all.

imtommygunn

Flags hanging round the place are a sign of insecurity tbh. Triumphalism and inseccurity.

As someone here said it's grown up politics. The way she will look at it is there are two teams on this island so she can support both.

I think it's hard when you are of a certain age to see NI as a team for all. I don't mind seeing them do well but when things like Neil Lennon, Anton Rogan etc happen and also when they play their games where they do then it can be hard to see past that and you could never fully, fully, support them.

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 28, 2024, 09:50:23 AMFlags hanging round the place are a sign of insecurity tbh. Triumphalism and inseccurity.

As someone here said it's grown up politics. The way she will look at it is there are two teams on this island so she can support both.

I think it's hard when you are of a certain age to see NI as a team for all. I don't mind seeing them do well but when things like Neil Lennon, Anton Rogan etc happen and also when they play their games where they do then it can be hard to see past that and you could never fully, fully, support them.

I have always carried this view.  When I see a flag in a housing estate etc always makes me think how insecure you would have to be to have to have that flying for no other reason than identifying to "the other side" who lives here. 

In terms of supporting the NI team, I would want to see them do well, but their core fan base is just rotten and backwards. 
I wouldn't be going into the south belfast ni supports club for a pint pre-game, and I don't think an invitation would be extended to the first minister or the gaa president anytime soon either. 

I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

AustinPowers

I find it very strange that  Norn Iron  still play GSTQ/K at all , considering Wales and Scotland are very comfortable belting out their own  anthems

imtommygunn

I also think this is an insecurity thing tbh. I would also say some "die hards" would be reluctant to change it.

Armagh18

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 28, 2024, 09:50:23 AMFlags hanging round the place are a sign of insecurity tbh. Triumphalism and inseccurity.

I doubt Michelle gives a flying f**k about the norths team tbh but it's good optics and backing up her first minister for all slogan.

Personally hope the bigoted c***ts get bate 8 nil every game and their bigoted supporters all get the clap off their sisters.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 28, 2024, 10:57:01 AM

I doubt Michelle gives a flying f**k about the norths team tbh but it's good optics and backing up her first minister for all slogan.

Personally hope the bigoted c***ts get bate 8 nil every game and their bigoted supporters all get the clap off their sisters.

Yeah, this attitude is helpful in convincing people that Ireland is an inclusive society  ::)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lurganblue

Quote from: AustinPowers on February 28, 2024, 10:44:35 AMI find it very strange that  Norn Iron  still play GSTQ/K at all , considering Wales and Scotland are very comfortable belting out their own  anthems

What is their alternative?  Ive heard Oh Danny Boy mentioned. It would put ya to sleep and sure they cant even agree on the name of it.

Applesisapples

the six proud counties of northern irelandddd

tiempo

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 28, 2024, 09:03:04 AMIt's good politics.

Senior hurling, Unionists can't handle the trojan horse of equality so rub it up them

Oh she stood for a song, big f**king deal, now hand back those 6 counties you robbing bastards 😊

weareros

Quote from: lurganblue on February 28, 2024, 11:02:04 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on February 28, 2024, 10:44:35 AMI find it very strange that  Norn Iron  still play GSTQ/K at all , considering Wales and Scotland are very comfortable belting out their own  anthems

What is their alternative?  Ive heard Oh Danny Boy mentioned. It would put ya to sleep and sure they cant even agree on the name of it.

I had heard your man John Laverty journalist who was discussing Casement the other night once propose Be Thou My Vision. It's a hymn of Irish origin. Or as we used to sing in our house when the old black and white Ferguson broke down: F#%€ that Television, the scourge of our heart...

johnnycool

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 28, 2024, 11:31:16 AMthe six proud counties of northern irelandddd

From the shítey glens of Antrim
From the rolling mountains of Mourne
From the walls of Derry/Londonderry Sir,(delete as applicable)
and Fermanagh's Lakes and wood burning boilers, Tyrone's bushes and doughnutting twin cams,
And the fine washed diesel from Armagh

From the 6ix proud counties of Norn Iron/North of Ireland/Occupied State.

Rolls off the tongue.