Referendums March 8 on 1 family and 2 carers

Started by seafoid, February 12, 2024, 10:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 09, 2024, 11:35:18 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on March 09, 2024, 11:18:28 AMWhy the need for referendums, can surely be legislated for in the Dail.

Dail can't change the constitution, need a referendum.

But they didn't actually give any example of legislation that they wanted to pass that the constitution was preventing or any concrete action that they a change would enable,
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RedHand88

Regina Doherty more concerned with who leaked the AG advice, rather than the outcome of the referendum.
Why did they try to hide the advice of the top legal mind in the country, which would have helped people make an informed decision?

armaghniac

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 09, 2024, 10:53:08 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 09, 2024, 10:42:16 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on March 09, 2024, 08:57:23 AM
Quote from: Itchy on February 22, 2024, 09:52:01 AMThere is very little about these referendums but I find all I need to do is look at the people who are against it to know that I am for it.

That's a very uninformed way of looking at things. Screams of "I can't be bothered to do my homework on it or try to understand what it's about". It's wilful ignorance like this that led to Brexit and Trump.

Qukte the opposite. Brexit was people voting for change without a clue what it was. This is people voting to keep things the same because those who advocate change have not explained it properly

The only wilful ignorance is your comment.

Think you've misread what I'm saying. He said he is voting for the change (yes/yes) because of who's against it, not me! I'm agreeing with you.

Apologies for that, I think I did, I didn't do my homework properly on this one  ;)  I revised my post.

AustinPowers

I've listened to  a few people talking about this  referendum, and still am none the wiser.

Can anyone explain  them,  in a nutshell?

Eire90

are counciller types now terrified that insurgent types will win seats at the local elections

whitey

So the govt (and other major political parties) and their lackeys in the taxpayer funded NGOs had their @r$es handed to them

Cant wait for the local elections

armaghniac

Quote from: Rebel84 on March 09, 2024, 01:53:04 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on March 09, 2024, 12:33:26 PMRegina Doherty more concerned with who leaked the AG advice, rather than the outcome of the referendum.
Why did they try to hide the advice of the top legal mind in the country, which would have helped people make an informed decision?

Because just maybe the South is one of the most corrupt states on the planet?

You obviously live on a different planet.

Blowitupref

What the government wanted wasn't voted in favour of it appears. Very poor turnout also.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Tubberman

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 09, 2024, 12:33:26 PMRegina Doherty more concerned with who leaked the AG advice, rather than the outcome of the referendum.

You mean one of the least corrupt:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rossfan

Quote from: armaghniac on March 09, 2024, 02:55:36 PM

You obviously live on a different planet.
And there's no State anywhere on this planet called "the South".
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eire90

most of the corruption in ireland is hidden corruption shady deals under the disguise of having a pint

weareros

You'd have thought removing these two backward Eamon DeValera clause in the Irish constitution (family is founded on marriage, a woman's duty is in the home) would have been an easy win for the Irish government. Had the vote been held between 1993-2008, it would have easily passed. The mood has now shifted and it's not unlike Brexit or Trump's America where the people want a fantasy country back from the forces of liberal elite, media, WEF, EU, immigrants, whatever you're having yourself. Watch Brexiters in UK, Unionists, right wingers, Catholic Church cheer this result.

whitey

The issue was not the removal of the two "backward clauses" from the constitution. The issue was their replacement with a vague and undefinable definition that would open the door to all sorts of unintended consequences

From the Bunker

Quote from: weareros on March 09, 2024, 03:50:46 PMYou'd have thought removing these two backward Eamon DeValera clause in the Irish constitution (family is founded on marriage, a woman's duty is in the home) would have been an easy win for the Irish government. Had the vote been held between 1993-2008, it would have easily passed. The mood has now shifted and it's not unlike Brexit or Trump's America where the people want a fantasy country back from the forces of liberal elite, media, WEF, EU, immigrants, whatever you're having yourself. Watch Brexiters in UK, Unionists, right wingers, Catholic Church cheer this result.

This is where you have it wrong - Brexit and Trump was a vote for change.

This was a vote for holding onto what we have.

weareros

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 09, 2024, 04:13:41 PM
Quote from: weareros on March 09, 2024, 03:50:46 PMYou'd have thought removing these two backward Eamon DeValera clause in the Irish constitution (family is founded on marriage, a woman's duty is in the home) would have been an easy win for the Irish government. Had the vote been held between 1993-2008, it would have easily passed. The mood has now shifted and it's not unlike Brexit or Trump's America where the people want a fantasy country back from the forces of liberal elite, media, WEF, EU, immigrants, whatever you're having yourself. Watch Brexiters in UK, Unionists, right wingers, Catholic Church cheer this result.

This is where you have it wrong - Brexit and Trump was a vote for change.

This was a vote for holding onto what we have.

Have I? Brexit and Trump was change by people who were nostalgic for a different era (less diversity, etc). This was holding on to older, out of date values, too. More similar than you might think.