Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: BennyCake on August 14, 2020, 02:06:00 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on August 14, 2020, 01:18:19 PM
Unless, of course, you're referring to [Bryson] stepping in as "Footie" (NI team mascot) at the last minute, when the regular incumbent was unavailable?

Sorry to disappoint, but when his identity was revealed the next day (the mask slipped?), the IFA made it quite clear he'd never do it again.

Sure, they could say that anyway. Who's to know if he's still doing mascot.

It's a bit like someone being banned from a stadium for bad behaviour. Next game, they could be sat in their usual seat. It's just good PR for a club/association to distance themselves from controversy.
Who's to say?

The IFA, that's who:

"Flag protester Jamie Bryson won't be Northern Ireland team mascot again, vows IFA"
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/flag-protester-jamie-bryson-wont-be-northern-ireland-team-mascot-again-vows-ifa-29053776.html

Mind you, it says something when you fixate on that single, silly 7 y.o. episode and completely ignore the substance of my post, namely:

Not a single Unionist party will touch [Bryson], not even the micro-parties.

He has no position within the Loyal Orders, or any of the Protestant Churches

No-one in the Unionist media employs him.

He's not part of any pressure group, nor of any Think Tank (doesn't have the equipment!).

No connection with the Security Forces (other than when they go to arrest him).

Chased by his local Royal British Legion.

Says something about you, that is...  ::)

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

five points

Quote from: armaghniac on August 14, 2020, 01:55:05 PM
Quote from: five points on August 14, 2020, 12:53:36 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2020, 12:48:32 PM
All very wordy. "Sinn Féin supporters on social media" would suffice. To be fair, other parties are missing a trick by having no online support.

No, it's the fact that it's so blatantly co-ordinated. If any other party tried it, they'd be laughed off but Sinn Féin necks are harder and more committed to the cause.

Their biological and technological distinctiveness has been added to the collective.
It is a pity they would not use it to actually achieve a united Ireland rather than promoting their own cult.

Agreed. Any twit can horse out memes to whip up a few votes but it's all kinda pointless if in doing so you end up alienating everyone else.

ThroughTheLaces

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 14, 2020, 12:48:54 PM
Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on August 14, 2020, 08:43:54 AM
Anybody that disagrees with unionist / loyalist / FF / FG ramblings is normally called a "Shinnerbot". Its an embarrassing term, and ridiculously overused. But when all else fails, and you dont have a coherent argument, throw the word out there. It seems to negate everything else.
Thank you for your explanation.

On balance I think I prefer those of Rossfan, thewobbler, Five Points and Hardstation.

That article in itself in also highly embarrassing.
Embarrassing for whom?

The author?

Or its targets?

Why did I have a feeling you would prefer their explanations?  ;D

I suppose my point is, that it is very hard to defend anything SF related, even when in the right, or even just in an opinionated way in a debate, without 'Shinnerbot' being thrown out. Its the easy go-to, with many jumping on the bandwagon.

Maybe I'm just more annoyed with these stupid modern terms that are thrown about everywhere nowadays, 'bot', 'troll' and all the rest.

You cannot challenge or disagree these days without being labelled as such. Healthy debate can easily descend into being summed up as 'Shinnerbot'. Argument over.

There is also the possibility that I'm just debating with idiots I suppose.
The apple never falls far from the tree.

Evil Genius

Quote from: johnnycool on August 14, 2020, 02:24:47 PM
He himself is quoted as saying he was asked to review the "agreement" that wasn't an agreement because Arlene couldn't sell it to her base a few years back. The OO, Mervyn Gibson said the same thing at the time, so Arlene must have valued their contributions at the time as well.
Far be it for me to speak for Arlene, but she talks to lots of people about lots of things - eg Michelle O'Neill.

Whether she heeds them is another thing entirely.

I know Nolan is a gobshíte but he's got Jamie on quite a lot as the voice of unionism. Would that no rankle with you?
Who elected Bryson to be "the voice of Unionism"?

Certainly not Unionists.

Fact is, most people have better things to be doing than appearing on Nolan every five minutes (or listening to him, for that matter).

So he's hardly going to introduce his next guest as "Some ignorant wee gobshite that no-one of any intelligence or judgement gives a f**k about"

It rankles with me when Martina Anderson is spouting some utter balls and it's deemed that all republicans/nationalists think like her as I've said on this thread and other threads manys a time.
Funny enough, I was going to mention Martina as being the Republican equivalent of Wee Jamie, but thought better of it, since the comparison* doesn't really hold.

* - Thousands of people vote for her, in case you're wondering  ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

trueblue1234

Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2020, 01:00:53 PM
All very wordy. "Sinn Féin supporters on social media" would suffice. To be fair, other parties are missing a trick by having no online support.

No, it's the fact that it's so blatantly co-ordinated. If any other party tried it, they'd be laughed off but Sinn Féin necks are harder and more committed to the cause.
People on this board have been accused of being Shinnerbots. Was the term misused on these occasions or do you believe there has been a coordinated infiltration of gaaboard in Sinn Féin's political strategy?
LOL I noticed you never got an answer. It's obvious in Connolly House the secret to a UI is held within these threads. Control the none gaa section and you control the people.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

imtommygunn

Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on August 14, 2020, 02:53:31 PM
Anybody that disagrees with unionist / loyalist / FF / FG ramblings is normally called a "Shinnerbot". Its an embarrassing term, and ridiculously overused. But when all else fails, and you dont have a coherent argument, throw the word out there. It seems to negate everything else.

On balance I think I prefer those of Rossfan, thewobbler, Five Points and Hardstation.

Embarrassing for whom?

The author?

Or its targets?

I suppose my point is, that it is very hard to defend anything SF related, even when in the right, or even just in an opinionated way in a debate, without 'Shinnerbot' being thrown out. Its the easy go-to, with many jumping on the bandwagon.

Maybe I'm just more annoyed with these stupid modern terms that are thrown about everywhere nowadays, 'bot', 'troll' and all the rest.

You cannot challenge or disagree these days without being labelled as such. Healthy debate can easily descend into being summed up as 'Shinnerbot'. Argument over.

I think it's society these days. See brexiteers, anti vaxxers, libtards etc etc. It's not specific to those "causes" but shinner bot is akin to them. Rather than having a reasoned debate it will just be thrown in to kill an argument. I notice it's coming in to scottish nationalism a bit too.

ThroughTheLaces

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 14, 2020, 03:10:36 PM
Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on August 14, 2020, 02:53:31 PM

Embarrassing for whom?

The author?

Or its targets?

I think it's society these days. See brexiteers, anti vaxxers, libtards etc etc. It's not specific to those "causes" but shinner bot is akin to them. Rather than having a reasoned debate it will just be thrown in to kill an argument. I notice it's coming in to scottish nationalism a bit too.

I think that's exactly it. And granted I am older and grumpier than ever, but it's a very frustrating trend. As you said it kills an argument. Anything said thereafter in defence of SF in any way is 'proving their point'. Lose-lose situation really when the term is thrown out there.
The apple never falls far from the tree.

johnnycool

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 14, 2020, 02:55:19 PM
He himself is quoted as saying he was asked to review the "agreement" that wasn't an agreement because Arlene couldn't sell it to her base a few years back. The OO, Mervyn Gibson said the same thing at the time, so Arlene must have valued their contributions at the time as well.
Far be it for me to speak for Arlene, but she talks to lots of people about lots of things - eg Michelle O'Neill.

Whether she heeds them is another thing entirely.

I know Nolan is a gobshíte but he's got Jamie on quite a lot as the voice of unionism. Would that no rankle with you?
Who elected Bryson to be "the voice of Unionism"?

Certainly not Unionists.

Fact is, most people have better things to be doing than appearing on Nolan every five minutes (or listening to him, for that matter).

So he's hardly going to introduce his next guest as "Some ignorant wee gobshite that no-one of any intelligence or judgement gives a f**k about"

It rankles with me when Martina Anderson is spouting some utter balls and it's deemed that all republicans/nationalists think like her as I've said on this thread and other threads manys a time.
Funny enough, I was going to mention Martina as being the Republican equivalent of Wee Jamie, but thought better of it, since the comparison* doesn't really hold.

* - Thousands of people vote for her, in case you're wondering  ::)

I was struggling for a republican equivalent as well as the lunatic dissies up in Derry City and the likes don't get onto Radio UVF Nolan as much to vent their particular diatribe as Jamie evidently does.

BennyCake

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 14, 2020, 02:42:22 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 14, 2020, 02:06:00 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on August 14, 2020, 01:18:19 PM
Unless, of course, you're referring to [Bryson] stepping in as "Footie" (NI team mascot) at the last minute, when the regular incumbent was unavailable?

Sorry to disappoint, but when his identity was revealed the next day (the mask slipped?), the IFA made it quite clear he'd never do it again.

Sure, they could say that anyway. Who's to know if he's still doing mascot.

It's a bit like someone being banned from a stadium for bad behaviour. Next game, they could be sat in their usual seat. It's just good PR for a club/association to distance themselves from controversy.
Who's to say?

The IFA, that's who:

"Flag protester Jamie Bryson won't be Northern Ireland team mascot again, vows IFA"
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/flag-protester-jamie-bryson-wont-be-northern-ireland-team-mascot-again-vows-ifa-29053776.html

Mind you, it says something when you fixate on that single, silly 7 y.o. episode and completely ignore the substance of my post, namely:

Not a single Unionist party will touch [Bryson], not even the micro-parties.

He has no position within the Loyal Orders, or any of the Protestant Churches

No-one in the Unionist media employs him.

He's not part of any pressure group, nor of any Think Tank (doesn't have the equipment!).

No connection with the Security Forces (other than when they go to arrest him).

Chased by his local Royal British Legion.

Says something about you, that is...  ::)

Frig me, you like making a mountain out of a mole hill!

To be honest, I seen the mascot photo, and read that apparently it was Bryson, and made a comment. A throwaway comment at that. It wasn't to get at the IFA or their choice of mascot. It would've been the same had it been Liverpool, Celtic or Hull City. Any club in the same situation could say they weren't using a certain someone again, but who would know? Only a small number. That was my point.

Anyway, having seen now what was above the photo in that post, I've already answered similar in another thread.

Snapchap

Perish the thought!!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/varadkar-suggested-creating-anonymous-accounts-online-to-make-positive-comments-on-news-37275799.html

JohnDenver

The Armalite iphone and ballot box strategy has been rumbled! Shinnerbots assemble!  ;D

Main Street

The Nolan radio show is the most listened to program in NI  and I believe his BBCR5 show is also popular. By NI standards, Nolan is a very capable broadcaster. And if Nolan were covering the flags protests, why should Bryson not be interviewed?
Apart from your own opinions, who in NI politics do you have a respect for?
I don't know if Bryson believes in creationism,  but according  to my perspective of DUP's Loyalism, their evident levels of bigotry and sectarian politiking, is Bryson all that different? Is he too smart for them?  Leaving aside personality traits that he's a bit wild, a lone groover, opportunistic etc.

johnnycool

Quote from: Main Street on August 19, 2020, 12:42:34 PM

The Nolan radio show is the most listened to program in NI  and I believe his BBCR5 show is also popular. By NI standards, Nolan is a very capable broadcaster. And if Nolan were covering the flags protests, why should Bryson not be interviewed?
Apart from your own opinions, who in NI politics do you have a respect for?
I don't know if Bryson believes in creationism,  but according  to my perspective of DUP's Loyalism, their evident levels of bigotry and sectarian politiking, is Bryson all that different? Is he too smart for them?  Leaving aside personality traits that he's a bit wild, a lone groover, opportunistic etc.

Because he's no mandate to speak on anyone's behalf other than his own..

At least the bigots Allister and Wells are elected.

Sportacus

Martina Anderson offending half the country again.  She really is a liability.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Sportacus on August 25, 2020, 09:25:45 PM
Martina Anderson offending half the country again.  She really is a liability.

She's is a car crash, her and her niece