building a house

Started by JPF, July 23, 2009, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

i usse an speelchekor

RedHand88

How much can be saved by not using a contractor and sorting out the tradespeople yourself? Is it worth the extra stress and hassle?

Rois

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 14, 2020, 05:38:24 PM
3 years or 2?

Per HMRC website:

If you're replacing your main residence
You will not pay the extra 3% SDLT if the property you're buying is replacing your main residence and that has already been sold.

If you have not sold your main residence on the day you complete your new purchase you'll have to pay higher rates. This is because you own 2 properties.

You can apply for a refund if you sell your previous main home within 36 months.

God14

Thanks Rois, I suppose I hoped that because the site wasn't in construction, the tax wouldnt apply
But its fairly clear in that info you posted

Rois

It might not apply, I don't know the situation when you don't have another residence to move into, but your solicitor will be the one you need to convince. I just know that you have to pay the additional second property rate despite the stamp duty holiday when you buy a second home.

Give me a day and I'll check with a colleague.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 14, 2020, 05:47:19 PM
How much can be saved by not using a contractor and sorting out the tradespeople yourself? Is it worth the extra stress and hassle?

If you don't have a fair idea what goes into building - or don't have family that does, then IMO your only likely to end up stressed, over budget, behind schedule and eventually getting someone in anyway to manage it.
i usse an speelchekor

ThroughTheLaces

Hi folks, couple of questions. Currently looking at either buying or building in the not too distant future (26 counties)

1) Which would people recommend we do in the own experience? Obviously a personal choice but building my own home was never an absolute must-do for me, so easy going on that.
2) Can't seem to find much info online, does anyone know current approximate rates psm/psf to build? (We have a site)
3) Currently own a small property in the north. Would this help or hinder me here?

Any other basic do's and dont's would be welcome. Fairly green on it!
The apple never falls far from the tree.

RedHand88

Timber frame v traditional blocks, which is better?

Starting a self build shortly and this is one of the big first decisions. I've heard timber frame are better for heat retention but don't keep noise out as much?
Have a friend who swears by timber frame, but then he's in the timber business so there's bias.
Found a timber frame thread on the board but it's 12 year old and wondered how much has changed in the meantime.

Has anyone used timber frame and would they recommend it?

balladmaker

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 14, 2020, 05:47:19 PM

I got a price for a contractor, but decided not to go down the contractor route.  So hired the different trades in as they were needed.  I'm not from a building background and didn't know alot about it, but was lucky with the trades people we got e.g fella who did the foundations, recommended a brickie, the brickie recommended the roofer/joiner ... the roofer/joiner recommended a plumber and electrician, same roofer/joiner recommended fella to put the floors in, plasterer etc. etc. 

All in all, the build came in 17k more than the original contractor's price, but we got a better spec'ed house than what was included in the contractors price e.g. slate instead of tiles, oak instead of pine, underfloor heating system.  So was happy enough.  It's fair to say the joiner was a massive help in the overall process, and he did well out of it too with the work going his way.

I loved the whole process, enjoyed the craic with the different trades, and didn't really find it stressful ... apart from sorting out steel for the build which I found a challenge at the time.

illdecide

Quote from: Rois on July 14, 2020, 06:21:07 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 14, 2020, 05:38:24 PM
3 years or 2?

Per HMRC website:

If you're replacing your main residence
You will not pay the extra 3% SDLT if the property you're buying is replacing your main residence and that has already been sold.

If you have not sold your main residence on the day you complete your new purchase you'll have to pay higher rates. This is because you own 2 properties.

You can apply for a refund if you sell your previous main home within 36 months.

Rois how does it work if you own your home and then inherit another through your parents will etc. You will own two homes but one was obviously given to you with no money passing hands. (Sorry i know you're not a solicitor)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

manfromdelmonte

Has anyone got an idea what is the best product I can use to dampproof the inside surface of a poured concrete retaining wall?
I'm going to be building off the retaining wall and using it as the outer leaf of 100mm cavity wall for garage
I've to do around 9m x 2m.
Sheeting, spray on etc? Thanks

giveherlong

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 28, 2021, 09:53:38 PM
Has anyone got an idea what is the best product I can use to dampproof the inside surface of a poured concrete retaining wall?
I'm going to be building off the retaining wall and using it as the outer leaf of 100mm cavity wall for garage

KÖSTER Deuxan Professional
Applied with Trowel
More here and sounds like similar job: https://www.facebook.com/365044586981264/posts/1901981836620857/?d=n

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: giveherlong on March 28, 2021, 11:32:18 PM

Applied with Trowel
More here and sounds like similar job: https://www.facebook.com/365044586981264/posts/1901981836620857/?d=n
Thanks. Looks like a good product
I was hoping to do the internal/negative side of the retaining wall

lfdown2

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 29, 2021, 10:06:00 AM
Quote from: giveherlong on March 28, 2021, 11:32:18 PM

Applied with Trowel
Thanks. Looks like a good product
I was hoping to do the internal/negative side of the retaining wall

Where are you based? I had some pain in the hole with waterproofing a basement and getting it through building control in the north. I ended up with a (expensive) fully enveloped structure; membrane beneath the base and returned up the base edge, an applied membrane painted on the external face down to meet the base membrane, and a membrane applied to the internal face which directed any ingress of water to a cavity drain which expelled at the end of the retaining wall.

If you like and want to pm me your email I can send you a detail.

I had an added complication of having a couple of rooms in the basement and as such it was upgraded from solely a garage and that increased the spec.

manfromdelmonte

midlands
its not a basement we're doing but a retaining wall between us and neighbours as there is a 2m height difference. then building off the retaining wall for a new structure with cavity wall.

I've had three different builders/blocklayers tell me three different ways they would do it. I however think none of them actually have a clue what they are talking about