Large suspension for Donegal hurling club

Started by DonegalHurling07, January 09, 2007, 10:12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonegalHurling07

This is taken from the GAA Briefs section of this morning's Irish News.

QuoteDonegal hurling club, Setanta, have been handed a 48-week suspension by the Ulster Council, writes Chris McNulty.
The suspension comes after the club refused to provide the provincial authorities with information over an incident that saw a match official assaulted in a recent game involving them.
The official was apparently struck at the Ulster Division Two final between Setanta and Castleblayney.
Setanta have appealed the decision and the matter is now in the hands of the Central Appeals Committee.
A club spokesperson for the club confirmed that an appeal had been lodged, but remained tight-lipped with regard to the incident in quetion. "It wouldn't be right to make any further comment on the matter as an appeal has gone and we now await further correspondence from the Ulster Council," said the spokesperson

If this aint successful, Donegal are pretty much fcuked for the NHL campaign. There's about a dozen Setanta players on the squad.

Rossi

The club may be suspended but the players aren't, so therefore is it possible that a new club be affiliated using the same players?

MrC

Quote from: Rossi on January 09, 2007, 10:49:04 AM
The club may be suspended but the players aren't, so therefore is it possible that a new club be affiliated using the same players?

From what I'm hearing, if the appeal is unsuccessful it'll mean all adult members are prohibited from playing in competitive games.
'Sam's For The Hills' - Anthony Molloy, 20th September 1992

realredhandfan

This club must be a pack of unruly soo and sos.  Are they not always in the news for breaches of discipline?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

A years suspension will destroy the club, a bit excessive.

Donegal cannot afford to lose any senior players let alone a whole club!!!!!

Granted they need to be punished, but Hurling should be encouraged in Ulster!  >:(
Tbc....

Orior

On the other hand, the club could provide the authorities with the names they require!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

johnneycool

Quote from: Orior on January 09, 2007, 12:55:01 PM
On the other hand, the club could provide the authorities with the names they require!

Or the official responsible grow a set of balls and take his punishment for what he done rather than sit back and watch the club go down the swanny?

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: johnneycool on January 09, 2007, 01:02:13 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 09, 2007, 12:55:01 PM

Or the official responsible grow a set of balls and take his punishment for what he done rather than sit back and watch the club go down the swanny?

A much better ideaa, better a 2 year ban for an individual than a 12 month ban for the club, a disgrace
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

J70

If Setanta are willing to go down over protecting whoever assaulted a referee, I've no sympathy for them. That person should be a man and own up instead of messing up the year for the rest of his clubmates and the county team.

full back

Although a 12 month ban for the club does seem excessive IMO it is the only course of action. If a club cannot be trusted or the man himself hasnt the balls to own up then they should all go down. With so much violence hitting the headlines recently the GAA need all the help they can get in stamping it out.
I would be very surprised if the individual(s) responsible dont own up, now that the punishment is known

Spiritof98

Not much manners about this club, we played Sarsfields in the ulster minor this year and they said the week before they travelled to whole way from belfast to find the gates locked and had to go looking for an excuse why the game was off.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

MrC

'Sam's For The Hills' - Anthony Molloy, 20th September 1992

Guillem2

Surely sense will prevail and the offical responsible will come forward. Attacking refs and officilas has to be taken very seriously. I would hate to see any Ulster hurling club suspended for a year but if they can't behave themselves maybe that's what it takes to teach them a lesson and set an example.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

nrico2006

I'd hardly say they are fucked, maybe there is about 12 setanta players on the Donegal panel, but there is probably 12 better replacements from Burt.  They are the No1 side in Donegal for15 odd years and have not sent as many players along recently, but Im sure if they came in they would be better than those they replaced.  Setanta have a few good hurlers such as Danny Cullen, and K evin Campbell is a good free taker but doesnt contribute much from play.  The burt free taker Andy Wallace seems to be a better free taker though, hardly misses plus he battles away in midfield.  What will happen the setanta players, will they look to transfer to another club nearby such as Ballybofey or would they even go to Strabane in Tyrone. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

DonegalHurling07

I see the club's appeal was unsuccessful. This story is taken from this morning's Irish Daily Mirror

QuoteSetanta still out

By Chris McNulty

A Donegal hurling club has had their appeal against a 48-week suspension rejected by GAA authorities, a Croke Park spokesperson confirmed yesterday evening.
Setanta hurling club from Killygordon, near Ballybofey, had the suspension imposed on them by the Ulster Council after they failed to provide the name of a club member who allegedly struck a match official following a game involving them.
The game in question was an Ulster Division Two final between Setanta and Castleblayney.
"The appeal from Setanta has been unsuccessful," said the spokesperson yesterday evening
The spokesperson added that there is a possibility of the suspension being lifted should the name of the guilty party be given to the Ulster Council.