Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 10, 2015, 02:30:34 PM
Ulster Hurling Championship gets a major makeover
http://www.irishnews.com/sport/hurlingandcamogie/2015/11/10/news/ulster-hurling-championship-gets-a-makeover-319767/?param=ds441rif44T

The four teams in the top tier will be drawn together in semi-finals (Antrim v Derry and Armagh v Down), with the winners going on to the final. The semi-final losers will meet in a play-off and the losing side will swap places with the winner of the second-tier competition, which will be played off along identical lines – two semi-finals and a final.

The timeframe hasn't been confirmed yet, but it is understood the preferred date for the Championship would be July. The new format will initially be brought in for a two-year trial period, but Michael Hasson, vice-president of the Ulster Council, is confident it will prove popular with players and supporters.

I think the relevance and timing of the competition are still the major issues - although good to see Ulster Council at least showing some remote interest in hurling.

Na Glinntí Glasa

i think its disappointing that Cavan dont enter it. As they said in the article they have opted out of entering.

Thats not good enough, the UC should be in that county now working on getting the game going again and the Cavan CB should be doing the same.
hurl like f**k boi!

Hirty Darry

Quote from: Sleeping giant on November 10, 2015, 01:05:15 PM
Quote from: Hirty Darry on November 10, 2015, 12:57:02 PM
So Ciaran Barr was appointed to make a RECOMMENDATION as to who the next Antrim manger was to be. 

Does anyone know how many candidates he actually interviewed or how many of the rumoured candidates took a vacancy elsewhere?

Perhaps Ciaran Barr only interviewed PJ.

I would like to know the hard facts before passing judgement.

Perhaps the County Secretary felt there was no real opposition to PJ and has quite rightly found a few suitable candidates - why shouldn't they be given a shot?

PJ will still be selected if he is deemed the right man for the job.
what one of the sons are you??   He was deemed the right man by the man who was given the job of finding the new manager.  If it was anyone from Cdall Ballycastle Dunloy or wherever I'd feel the same.  Time for an in house manager who actually knows club hurling in Antrim.

Smokie is the man for the job if that is the case.  PJ hasn't won anything without Jim Nelson - FACT. 

Truth be told, the Loughgiel side line (and scaffolding) lost the game v Cushendall in the County Semi-Final.

Anyway, how can a suspended man be illegible to take part in an official GAA interview?

liamrice1

A chairde,

At 4pm Saturday 21st November 2015 (in Pairc Esler, Newry) Cumann Pheadair Naofa GAC are hosting a unique hurling event in which a St Peter's/Ulster Select will play a Kilkenny legends team in a one off hurling 'Legends' match. The Kilkenny panel includes legendary net minder James McGarry, a full back line of John Tennyson, Michael Kavanagh and Noel Hickey, a half back line that would grace many current county teams of Tommy Walsh, Brian Hogan and JJ Delaney. Derek Lyng will marshal the midfield whilst up front they boast players of the quality of Aidan Fogarty, Martin Comerford, Eddie Brennan, DJ Carey, Charlie Carter and Henry Shefflin.

The Ulster team is made up of county players spread from throughout Ulster including; Conor McKinley, Ciaran Clarke, Odran McFadden and Chris O'Connell of Antrim. Sean McCullagh, Ruairi Convery, Kevin and Liam Hinphey of Derry. Fintan Conway, Paul Sheehan, Danny Toner, Ciaran Coulter and Stephen Keith of Down as well as county players from Armagh, Fermanagh and Donegal (Sean McVeigh of St Eunan's and Danny Cullen of Setanta).

Tickets are priced at £10 for adults and £5 for kids and can be purchased from The Quays Newry, Down GAA County Office Castlewellan, St Peter's Clubrooms Warrenpoint (Sunday 8pm-10pm), Centra in Cloughey and Centra in Portaferry. There are also a number of group tickets available in House of Sport Belfast by contacting Damien McConville damienmcconville@sportni.net alternatively the Down ticket van will be present at the match for ticket sales. It is advisable to purchase group tickets in advance to avoid unnecessary delays on the day of the match.

Visit www.warrenpointgaa.com or follow us on twitter or facebook for updates on the game.

Is mise le meas

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Hirty Darry on November 10, 2015, 03:01:32 PM
So Ciaran Barr was appointed to make a RECOMMENDATION as to who the next Antrim manger was to be. 

Does anyone know how many candidates he actually interviewed or how many of the rumoured candidates took a vacancy elsewhere?

Perhaps the County Secretary felt there was no real opposition to PJ and has quite rightly found a few suitable candidates - why shouldn't they be given a shot?

what one of the sons are you??   He was deemed the right man by the man who was given the job of finding the new manager.  If it was anyone from Cdall Ballycastle Dunloy or wherever I'd feel the same.  Time for an in house manager who actually knows club hurling in Antrim.

Smokie is the man for the job if that is the case.  PJ hasn't won anything without Jim Nelson - FACT. 

Truth be told, the Loughgiel side line (and scaffolding) lost the game v Cushendall in the County Semi-Final.

Anyway, how can a suspended man be illegible to take part in an official GAA interview?
what makes you think he's suspended?

Everyone knows PJ wasn't the coach. He was however the manager. He got the backroom team together then implemented a plan.  Something similar to smokie in that regard. Smokie could well be county manager in the future. No reason why not, with Sambo as his coach, like Cushendall.  ;)
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Sleeping giant

hahaha. He wasn't even wanted in Cdall FFS.  Maybe Mc Manus player manager like he's at with the dall is the way forward.
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Hirty Darry

Quote from: Sleeping giant on November 10, 2015, 04:13:55 PM

hahaha. He wasn't even wanted in Cdall FFS.  Maybe Mc Manus player manager like he's at with the dall is the way forward.

You mean no one in Cushendall wanted the job.  You have to hand it to Smokie and his backroom team, even with all the adversities, key players injured etc etc they still beat the "unbeatables".

You can be rest assured that Neil McManus will be the first to put his name forward to commit to Antrim regardless of who the Antrim Manager is, the fellow has a bit of class. 

Tony Baloney

Hirty Darry

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on November 10, 2015, 03:56:40 PM

what makes you think he's suspended?

Everyone knows PJ wasn't the coach. He was however the manager. He got the backroom team together then implemented a plan.  Something similar to smokie in that regard. Smokie could well be county manager in the future. No reason why not, with Sambo as his coach, like Cushendall.  ;)

It was well enough documented that he received a 12 week suspension, twelve weeks from Championship semi have not lapsed - not rocket science.

I also heard he was trying to get it lifted before tonight.

Why would he be trying to lift a suspension that didn't exist?

I suppose you are listening to tales again.

Sleeping giant

Quote from: Hirty Darry on November 10, 2015, 04:34:15 PM

You mean no one in Cushendall wanted the job.  You have to hand it to Smokie and his backroom team, even with all the adversities, key players injured etc etc they still beat the "unbeatables".

You can be rest assured that Neil McManus will be the first to put his name forward to commit to Antrim regardless of who the Antrim Manager is, the fellow has a bit of class.
. Yes.  I tip my hat to smokie for taking the job and winning Antrim and Ulster.  But if you've accused Pj of having nothing to do with the winning factor. (Couldn't be farther from the truth btw) then smokie might as well had been on the cole run. Lol.   And no I didn't mean no1 else wanted it.  That may also have been the case.  But he wasn't wanted,  don't try to tell me different now.  Neil has been an ever present in fairness to him yes. 

culchie11

In todays paper that pj had his ban lifted at the weekend to free him up to attend interview!

Hirty Darry

Quote from: Sleeping giant on November 10, 2015, 04:48:33 PM

. Yes.  I tip my hat to smokie for taking the job and winning Antrim and Ulster.  But if you've accused Pj of having nothing to do with the winning factor. (Couldn't be farther from the truth btw) then smokie might as well had been on the cole run. Lol.   And no I didn't mean no1 else wanted it.  That may also have been the case.  But he wasn't wanted,  don't try to tell me different now.  Neil has been an ever present in fairness to him yes.

I never accused PJ of having nothing to do with the winning factor, I merely highlighted that without Jim Nelson there has been no winning factor.  I think its very unfair of you to say he wasn't wanted - how can you justify saying this? 

Hirty Darry

Quote from: culchie11 on November 10, 2015, 04:54:39 PM
In todays paper that pj had his ban lifted at the weekend to free him up to attend interview!

Can someone post a copy of this?

Sleeping giant

Quote from: Hirty Darry on November 10, 2015, 04:56:28 PM
Quote from: Sleeping giant on November 10, 2015, 04:48:33 PM

I never accused PJ of having nothing to do with the winning factor, I merely highlighted that without Jim Nelson there has been no winning factor.  I think its very unfair of you to say he wasn't wanted - how can you justify saying this?
from talking to your senior hurlers.  From talking to most of the country. I'd say if you were talking to smokie he'd tell you himself. He's took some shit this year from past hurlers and from "big" club men.  But again il say. Fair play to him.

Hand up

SG some of your points are correct, Smokie was the only man looking for the job and any wonder!! as I know PJ found out your star doesn't be long losing its shine, previous managers have gotten seriously unfair stick from our Members or more like non members.
But the one thing Smokie was/is in Cushendall, is a serious clubman so in my opinion I'd say his players backed him up with a serious championship campaign to date. I don't know anyone even past players that gave serious stick, yeh difference of opinion certainly but no more than that, I could be wrong in that. Our players have helped Smokie's with his lack of experience, and Together have got us thus far, now rewind 12 Months and it tells a story, Smokie's record is better than Sambos, but he's most definitely not Senior County management material and nor will he ever be,, as for McManus he's put a serious shift in for Club and County this year wether you like him or not, and even though PJ has slagged off the County for the last 3 years, if he does and again I hope he gets the job he should prey Neil lines out this year, because his absence will make the job much harder.
On another note and as you never answered me previously, is Watson going to be available for selection this year to Antrim, as your players will admit, there's hardly a glowing admiration towards PJ from the King.