Barman Leaves his job over being told he can't speak Irish

Started by Seany, September 12, 2016, 03:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

I saw this yesterday and thought that whatever the rights and wrongs of the thing those people that are protesting outside it are gobshites

armaghniac

Quote from: Boycey on September 12, 2016, 03:18:12 PM
I saw this yesterday and thought that whatever the rights and wrongs of the thing those people that are protesting outside it are gobshites

What do you suggest they do?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

Bit ironic that a person called Finbarr O Shea doesn t want a man speaking a bit of Irish. Unless yer man was acting the bollocks and insulting people as Gaeilge or something.
If he was conversing with others with a smattering of Irish, then this is poor form.

muppet

Quote from: Seany on September 12, 2016, 03:07:35 PM
...in the rebel county. 

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cork-publican-urged-to-admit-mistake-over-irish-stance-1.2787225

"Mr Ó Bruic said Mr O'Shea stated in his letter that the The Flying Enterprise was "an English-speaking business" and that there had been complaints from customers who felt "uncomfortable" with him (Mr Ó Bruic) speaking Irish. "

No doubt these complaints were in writing and Mr O'Shea will be happy to publish them.

MWWSI 2017

tyroneman

Not sure from the article but was the pub upset that he was conversing with other Irish speakers only or that he was speaking to everyone, tourists included, in Irish?

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on September 12, 2016, 10:50:59 PM
Quote from: Seany on September 12, 2016, 03:07:35 PM
...in the rebel county. 

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cork-publican-urged-to-admit-mistake-over-irish-stance-1.2787225

"Mr Ó Bruic said Mr O'Shea stated in his letter that the The Flying Enterprise was "an English-speaking business" and that there had been complaints from customers who felt "uncomfortable" with him (Mr Ó Bruic) speaking Irish. "

No doubt these complaints were in writing and Mr O'Shea will be happy to publish them.
Mr Nigel Brexit told Mr Ó Bruic to speak fahkin English before headbutting him. He went back to Romford shouting laaga laaga

5 Sams

I'd be careful lads. There's more to this than meets the eye. Bígí curamach lads...Tá níos mó taobh thiar den scéal seo. Just wanna to be bilingual in case any of ye boycott me ;)
The Aristocrat Years

muppet

Quote from: hardstation on September 13, 2016, 09:03:15 AM
Yes, seemingly it wasn't the fact that he was speaking Irish that got Mr O'Shea's goat but the standard of Irish that "thick" Ó Bruic was using. O'Shea was growing increasingly concerned that he hadn't heard the words saghas, lik or d'yknó in any of "thick" Ó Bruic's conversations. Enough was enough when a note found in the bar's comment box read, "His use of the possessive adjective is a total clusterfcuk".

So that's where Hardy went!
MWWSI 2017

PW Nally

Quote from: muppet on September 13, 2016, 12:56:59 PM
Yes, seemingly it wasn't the fact that he was speaking Irish that got Mr O'Shea's goat but the standard of Irish that "thick" Ó Bruic was using. O'Shea was growing increasingly concerned that he hadn't heard the words saghas, lik or d'yknó in any of "thick" Ó Bruic's conversations. Enough was enough when a note found in the bar's comment box read, "His use of the possessive adjective is a total clusterfcuk".

Hardy hardly headed here.

PW Nally

Quote from: hardstation on September 13, 2016, 02:01:40 PM
Quote from: PW Nally on September 13, 2016, 01:54:39 PM

Heard he headed here.
He herded horses here.

muppet

Quote from: PW Nally on September 13, 2016, 02:11:53 PM
Quote from: hardstation on September 13, 2016, 02:01:40 PM
Quote from: PW Nally on September 13, 2016, 01:54:39 PM

Heard he headed here.
He herded horses here.

Hardy's Rules of Grammar:

#1 Always avoid annoying alliteration
MWWSI 2017

leenie

As they say there is three sides to a story , your side , their side and the truth.

There's definitely more to this story, I know the o Shea family and worked for over 2 yrs in this bar , why after 8 months of employment was the issue of speaking Irish only brought up ? What was the other internal hr matter? This lad is a chancer and the fact that ppl are standing outside the pub with placards asking ppl to boycott the premises is a disgrace .. A place that employs over 70 ppl , I for one was v grateful to have had that job while at uni and was always accomadated by the o Shea's with regards to my studies. And I often heard Irish being spoke..

I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..