Row in Mayo LGFA

Started by Seany, July 11, 2018, 08:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Owenmoresider on September 04, 2018, 10:39:42 PM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on September 04, 2018, 10:04:58 PM
The fact that WGPA are releasing the statement on behalf of the remaining players suggests that these personal/ sensitive issues are horsehite.
If it was a thing of a legend not starting then it is a v v poor reflection on her. I was reading how this story hasn't been given enough coverage but when they won't just come out and call it as it is WTF can you do!
Well that is a fine example of burning the boats! Hard to see how harmony can be restored after that. Also I might be wrong but hasn't McHale some major role with the WGPA which would make it rather ironic.

Burning boats is the only way to move forward. This is a rebellion (by Mayo county board) against a dictatorship (Carnacon). Mayo ladies football will be all the better from it. The time had come to say 'No More'.

screenexile

Cora Staunton said that the environment was "not safe" on OTB . . . That's big talk when you aren't going I back it up.

Who the f**k signed these NDA's??

Mourne Red

Hardstation has gone awfully quiet since that statement was released - Players brought the game into disrepute citing claims of player welfare issues when there weren't any.. Cora worried she was going to be cold on the bench only issue there was

thebackbar1

Quote from: screenexile on September 06, 2018, 12:49:45 AM
Cora Staunton said that the environment was "not safe" on OTB . . . That's big talk when you aren't going I back it up.

Who the f**k signed these NDA's??

i thought that was a huge statement to make alright, if someone said that about the environment i had a round my team i would be ringing my solicitor.

iorras

Thats f'ing outrageous if she said that. On the national airwaves? Definitely need to go to the law over that

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: screenexile on September 06, 2018, 12:49:45 AM

Its true.

Could have got a huge splinter in her arse sitting on the bench...

#CushionedSeatsForTheBench
i usse an speelchekor

Captain Scarlet

Why are the media so happy just to take her word for it all.

As Wooly was just saying on GAA Hour some of the language used implies something v dodgy and if not true is borderline defamation.
This craic of not saying wtf is going on and claiming that they don't want it in the media when Cora is on OTB, Sinead Kissane wrote a big thing about plkayer welfare issue being lost in all of this - without the fuckin issue being explained.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Beffs

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on September 06, 2018, 06:15:57 PM

As Wooly was just saying on GAA Hour some of the language used implies something v dodgy and if not true is borderline defamation.
This craic of not saying wtf is going on and claiming that they don't want it in the media when Cora is on OTB, Sinead Kissane wrote a big thing about plkayer welfare issue being lost in all of this - without the fuckin issue being explained.

The media are always going to side with players in cases like this. They are the life blood of podcasts like Woolys, Off The Ball etc etc. They are who the media turn to to fill all the dead air on their programs, not the faceless county board officials.

The meeja will always give the players an easy ride. If Wooly - or anyone else - asks hard hitting questions such as "So Cora, is the welfare of your own ego the only thing under threat here?" they'll soon find fewer & fewer players wanting to give them the time of day.

Expecting the journos to ask Cora the questions that everyone listening at home wants him to ask, is like expecting turkeys to vote for Christmas. It just ain't gonna happen.

Syferus

Quote from: Beffs on September 06, 2018, 06:25:03 PM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on September 06, 2018, 06:15:57 PM

The media are always going to side with players in cases like this. They are the life blood of podcasts like Woolys, Off The Ball etc etc. They are who the media turn to to fill all the dead air on their programs, not the faceless county board officials.

The meeja will always give the players an easy ride. If Wooly - or anyone else - asks hard hitting questions such as "So Cora, is the welfare of your own ego the only thing under threat here?" they'll soon find fewer & fewer players wanting to give them the time of day.

Expecting the journos to ask Cora the questions that everyone listening at home wants him to ask, is like expecting turkeys to vote for Christmas. It just ain't gonna happen.

This is a crazy way to look at things.

Beffs

Not if you're a journalist, it isn't. Especially one who does radio shows and podcasts. Who are you going to interview if players are giving you a wide berth?

befair

There was a sinister implication behind the 'health and safety' issues

befair

Should rephrase that; there can be a sinister implication behind 'health and safety' issues

Jinxy

We're talking about young women here.
If you say that they did not feel 'safe' in the team environment, but refuse to elaborate, you do so in the knowledge that imaginations will inevitably run wild and all sorts of nasty rumours could follow.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

From the Bunker

Listened to Cora's Podcast on OTB. To say say she got an easy ride from the interviews is an understatement.

Anyway, the ''Poor us'' for the 20 minutes was hard to listen to as well as ''the 12 and 13 year olds on the panel don't know what is going on''.

I find it hard to believe that the County Board took (and are taking these) serious measures, without good reason. The County Board know the story. If there was a danger to players, surely they would not betray the trust put in them and leave themselves very open to criticism in the future.

For the moment both sides can hide behind confidentially agreements.

With nothing put out in the public domain, the county is rife with rumours.

Itchy

Quote from: hardstation on September 06, 2018, 09:05:50 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on September 06, 2018, 10:10:32 AM
Hardstation has gone awfully quiet since that statement was released - Players brought the game into disrepute citing claims of player welfare issues when there weren't any.. Cora worried she was going to be cold on the bench only issue there was
I stopped reading this ages ago tbh.
Some statement from Cora alright and generally not said on a whim. There must be some grievance. I'd say it will come out yet.

Cora wasn't being picked, threw a strop and tried to get manager removed with help of her club. It's as simple as that.