Hurling 2024

Started by seafoid, January 01, 2023, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: NAG1 on July 11, 2023, 09:24:17 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 10, 2023, 07:39:56 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 10, 2023, 07:11:52 PM
Question MR 2.

If Nicky Quaid went down with a contact lense issue - although clearly there was nothing wrong and he was just cleverly slowing things down as Limerick were 6 pts down but Galway had the momentum.

It was clever play acting by an experienced operator.

What is the rule there? Can a ref just say get up, there's nothing wrong and I know what you're at?

We all know what he was at and in fact you can see the ref having a word with him.

He could do what ever he wants and deal with the repercussions afterwards, he could book him for feigned injury, he could throw the ball in on the twenty one for not pucking the ball out when instructed.

Problem is he takes helmet off claims an injury play stops regardless, ref has a word gets a booking or hop ball and the play of slowing it down is still achieved!

Having an injury sin bin won't have desired effect either as it's wasting even more time!! Fullback takes keepers jersey off faffs about and we are no further on.

I'm not a doctor and I'll not take the responsibility of a fake injury or real one. If play is in front of an injured player I'll play on, though the moaning of "head injury, he could be dying" ( I shit you not some shouted that for a wrist injury!!)

But those things I've mentioned are what the ref can do

Correct Mr2 not much the Ref can do in this situation.

It needs looked at from a rules perspective, the umpires are there and can see if there has been contact with the GK to cause an injury of any description. If this is not the case and the GK deliberately takes the helmet off, slowing the game down then I think a 21 yard free as a consequence would soon put a stop to it.

Watch how quickly the helmet would go back on in that situation. Even the threat of this as a punishment makes it too big a risk for a GK to take.

Mr. Kiely not happy with people questioning why Quaid went down at that time.

We don't know the facts and don't know his medical history apparently.

Last Man

Quote from: NAG1 on July 11, 2023, 09:24:17 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 10, 2023, 07:39:56 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 10, 2023, 07:11:52 PM
Question MR 2.

If Nicky Quaid went down with a contact lense issue - although clearly there was nothing wrong and he was just cleverly slowing things down as Limerick were 6 pts down but Galway had the momentum.

It was clever play acting by an experienced operator.

What is the rule there? Can a ref just say get up, there's nothing wrong and I know what you're at?

We all know what he was at and in fact you can see the ref having a word with him.

He could do what ever he wants and deal with the repercussions afterwards, he could book him for feigned injury, he could throw the ball in on the twenty one for not pucking the ball out when instructed.

Problem is he takes helmet off claims an injury play stops regardless, ref has a word gets a booking or hop ball and the play of slowing it down is still achieved!

Having an injury sin bin won't have desired effect either as it's wasting even more time!! Fullback takes keepers jersey off faffs about and we are no further on.

I'm not a doctor and I'll not take the responsibility of a fake injury or real one. If play is in front of an injured player I'll play on, though the moaning of "head injury, he could be dying" ( I shit you not some shouted that for a wrist injury!!)

But those things I've mentioned are what the ref can do

Correct Mr2 not much the Ref can do in this situation.

It needs looked at from a rules perspective, the umpires are there and can see if there has been contact with the GK to cause an injury of any description. If this is not the case and the GK deliberately takes the helmet off, slowing the game down then I think a 21 yard free as a consequence would soon put a stop to it.

Watch how quickly the helmet would go back on in that situation. Even the threat of this as a punishment makes it too big a risk for a GK to take.
Endemic in the Antrim club game now as well, our lads used to get pissed off at how the more established teams tried to manage the game momentum swings. They are as bad as the rest of them now. Hard to see how you fix it.

Zooming around

Realistically, Quaid can only be dealt with under timewasting rules I'd say.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Zooming around on July 11, 2023, 11:06:10 AM
Realistically, Quaid can only be dealt with under timewasting rules I'd say.

Or feigning an injury which is a yellow card
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Limerick have all the tricks. I won't miss them.

NAG1

Quote from: seafoid on July 11, 2023, 11:55:43 AM

It is game management and teams will always find a way to swing things to their advantage, but when it becomes as blatant and obvious as this it should be an easier fix.

It is definitely more difficult out the field. However if any suspected head injury, requiring the player to remove their helmet ends in a HIA type situation then I suspect there will be less of that too.

The game has to move with the teams, it's a bit of cat and mouse with the rules to ensure the type of thing doesnt detract from the game at all levels.

Franko

Quote from: NAG1 on July 11, 2023, 02:17:27 PM

It is game management and teams will always find a way to swing things to their advantage, but when it becomes as blatant and obvious as this it should be an easier fix.

It is definitely more difficult out the field. However if any suspected head injury, requiring the player to remove their helmet ends in a HIA type situation then I suspect there will be less of that too.

The game has to move with the teams, it's a bit of cat and mouse with the rules to ensure the type of thing doesnt detract from the game at all levels.

No a bad idea that.

Take helmet off = mandatory HIA assessment off the pitch

Have given no thought to the applicaton of this in a club scenario in fairness, but it would have put the nonsense out of Quaid at the weekend

marty34

Quote from: Franko on July 11, 2023, 03:36:50 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on July 11, 2023, 02:17:27 PM

No a bad idea that.

Take helmet off = mandatory HIA assessment off the pitch

Have given no thought to the applicaton of this in a club scenario in fairness, but it would have put the nonsense out of Quaid at the weekend

I'm not so sure.

This would eat up the clock for another 2/3 minutes to make a sub, any sort of sub.

That' would suit the team who want to kill the clock.

I'd just throw in ball on 20 m line straight away...then see how quick the keeper gets his helmet on.

seafoid

The aim of what Quaid did was to break the rhythm of the opposing team. So the only solution is to remove the offending player from the pitch immediately. Anything else punishes the opposing team.

Kidder81

Kiely was a bit ridiculous with some of his comments, doesent even know if Quaid wear contact lenses apparently, it's none of his business  ???

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 09, 2023, 11:01:16 PM
There's not a game you could not pick out a grievance with calls. In the main I felt the calls evened themselves out.

Galvin should look back at some of his refereeing decisions over the years. I'd like to see how critical he is of his own strange calls

Yip,
   The durty hoorbag denied us a real rattle against Newtownshandrum with our corner forward getting poleaxed by their keeper with the goal at his mercy and them only winning by 2 with 10 minutes to go, played on the big bollox, but hey I'm not bitter  ;)

Throughout I thought TJ in particular got a few soft frees (at both ends of the field), Kelly had one given against him when Butler slipped which rightly enraged him and there was no 5 seconds advantage for the disallowed goal, but I think the ref expected Lawlor to hold onto what looked like a routine catch and not spill it...
Yes there were a few soft ones went Clares way but I don't think they "balanced" themselves out over the 70 minutes, but ultimately the losing of this game was in Clares own hands, the sweeper was a mistake, big time, Morey was lost and at the other end Richie Reid was picking out Eoin Cody at will out on the touchlines and he was giving the young lad a torrid time, but I believe he's the real deal and will give any defender out there a torrid time with that type of ball going into him. Kilkenny are too cute to be pucking ball down on top of a sweeper and it was only when the Clare lads pushed up that Kilkenny were in a spot of bother, Reid wasn't dominating in the same manner, the ball out was dirtier, Clare defenders could then attack it more, one for Lohan to learn if they get a chance again next year and there's no reason to think that they won't.

In the first half alone, Cleary blocked a ball straight down to a Kilkenny forward when the obvious thing was to catch it, a short puck out was worked to a midfielder tight on the sideline, Malone I think it was, he was blocked down and resulted in a point, not to mention the KK goal in the second half, defender taking a short puckout and got caught in possession, that and the missed chances, yes some great blocks from the KK midfielder in the first half, fortunate, but forwards need to be driving that into the ground from that range,not to mention Eoin Murphys reaction save right at the end.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gael[hgames/2023/07/12/an-incredible-image-two-year-old-boy-engrossed-by-all-ireland-hurling-semi-final/An incredible image': Two-year-old boy engrossed by All-Ireland hurling semi-finalPhotograph of Kilkenny supporter Fionn McGivern on Croke Park steps goes viral on social media

Expand

A photograph of Fionn McGivern taken during Sunday's senior hurling clash between Kilkenny and Clare at Croke Park has gone viral. Photograph: Inpho/James Crombie

Rory Fleming

Wed Jul 12 2023 - 13:43

Eoin Murphy's goalkeeping heroics saw Kilkenny overcome Clare in Sunday's second All-Ireland senior hurling championship semi-final, but much of the post-match coverage was fixed on an off-the-field matter.

A photograph of an enthralled young Kilkenny fan, Fionn McGivern, was captured by Inpho Photography's James Crombie and went viral on social media after the full-time whistle.

With more than three million views on Twitter to date, the image shows two-year-old Fionn standing in a striking pose along the steps of Croke Park as fans watch the action unfolding on the pitch.

Fionn's father, Brendan, who won an Ulster minor hurling title with Antrim, has hailed the photograph as "incredible".

Mr McGivern explained that Fionn has been "engrossed" by the game of hurling since before he could walk.

"He's only a two-year-old, but he just loves being involved with the game," he said. "Even in and around the house, he's hurling mad and football mad. He's had a hurl in his hand from the time he was struggling to walk, so it's pretty cool to see.

Learn more

"He's always loved it, he'll come out to the club games [St Enda's of Glengormley] with me, and he'd be there watching that, and his sister would be up playing her matches which he goes to too, so everyone up in the club knows him."

Fionn McGivern during Sunday's All-Ireland senior hurling clash between Kilkenny and Clare at Croke Park. Photograph: Inpho/James Crombie

The McGivern family hail from Co Antrim, but that did not stop Fionn from cheering on the Black Cats at Croke Park at the weekend. "There's no real link, we're just big GAA fans and he's got a lot of county kits, both him and his sister," said Mr McGivern, adding: "I was always a fan growing up and DJ Carey was always my guy when I was younger."

Thankfully for the McGiverns, Derek Lyng's side overcame the challenge of the Banner county during what was Fionn's first trip to GAA headquarters. "He loved every minute of it and he got a great game for his first one," Mr McGivern said.

He described the reaction that the photograph of his son has imbued as "incredible".

"It really is an incredible image. I think it'll be one of them ones where you never get such an iconic photo again. Everybody is just there focusing on the match, and then there he is, the wee man, stood there by himself. You can see that he's there looking on, engrossed in it, with his pose too," he added.

"A lot of friends and family have reached out, quite a few journalists too, RTÉ and some newspapers got in touch so you can see that the photo really took off."

An incredible image': Two-year-old boy engrossed by All-Ireland hurling semi-finalPhotograph of Kilkenny supporter Fionn McGivern on Croke Park steps goes viral on social media

Eoin Murphy's goalkeeping heroics saw Kilkenny overcome Clare in Sunday's second All-Ireland senior hurling championship semi-final, but much of the post-match coverage was fixed on an off-the-field matter.

A photograph of an enthralled young Kilkenny fan, Fionn McGivern, was captured by Inpho Photography's James Crombie and went viral on social media after the full-time whistle.

With more than three million views on Twitter to date, the image shows two-year-old Fionn standing in a striking pose along the steps of Croke Park as fans watch the action unfolding on the pitch.

Fionn's father, Brendan, who won an Ulster minor hurling title with Antrim, has hailed the photograph as "incredible".

Mr McGivern explained that Fionn has been "engrossed" by the game of hurling since before he could walk.

"He's only a two-year-old, but he just loves being involved with the game," he said. "Even in and around the house, he's hurling mad and football mad. He's had a hurl in his hand from the time he was struggling to walk, so it's pretty cool to see.

Learn more

"He's always loved it, he'll come out to the club games [St Enda's of Glengormley] with me, and he'd be there watching that, and his sister would be up playing her matches which he goes to too, so everyone up in the club knows him."

The McGivern family hail from Co Antrim, but that did not stop Fionn from cheering on the Black Cats at Croke Park at the weekend. "There's no real link, we're just big GAA fans and he's got a lot of county kits, both him and his sister," said Mr McGivern, adding: "I was always a fan growing up and DJ Carey was always my guy when I was younger."

Thankfully for the McGiverns, Derek Lyng's side overcame the challenge of the Banner county during what was Fionn's first trip to GAA headquarters. "He loved every minute of it and he got a great game for his first one," Mr McGivern said.

He described the reaction that the photograph of his son has imbued as "incredible".

"It really is an incredible image. I think it'll be one of them ones where you never get such an iconic photo again. Everybody is just there focusing on the match, and then there he is, the wee man, stood there by himself. You can see that he's there looking on, engrossed in it, with his pose too," he added.

"A lot of friends and family have reached out, quite a few journalists too, RTÉ and some newspapers got in touch so you can see that the photo really took off."

ClubScene13

What's the craic with a draw in the final? The 6th August is down for AI hurling final replay if required, would this be if the first game is level on 70 minutes or AET?

seafoid

Quote from: ClubScene13 on July 12, 2023, 03:37:12 PM
What's the craic with a draw in the final? The 6th August is down for AI hurling final replay if required, would this be if the first game is level on 70 minutes or AET?
There is no chance of a draw

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ClubScene13 on July 12, 2023, 03:37:12 PM

Draw after extra for senior finals go to replay
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea