Electric Cars. Real aternative or ego boosters?

Started by Denn Forever, September 02, 2019, 02:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Related and unrelated at the same time but mate took his kids on the train to Dublin on Sunday. Said it was full of youngsters, heading to a festival. Loud, drunk, scantily clad etc. Went to get the train home in the afternoon, said the train was a f**king mess, piss, vomit, drink spilt everywhere. Got straight off before it left and got a taxi home.
Public transport is a joke. We need private vehicles.
I have already stated the issues with EVs.
We need our diesel vehicles. And while Neymar fly's around the world, in the worlds largest private plane, I'll keep my big jeep and more and more people think the same. Until governments give us workable solutions this will remain the case. People's attitudes are changing and it isn't towards tree hugging.

Last Man

Quote from: trailer on August 31, 2023, 04:33:46 PM
Related and unrelated at the same time but mate took his kids on the train to Dublin on Sunday. Said it was full of youngsters, heading to a festival. Loud, drunk, scantily clad etc. Went to get the train home in the afternoon, said the train was a f**king mess, piss, vomit, drink spilt everywhere. Got straight off before it left and got a taxi home.
We need our diesel vehicles. And while Neymar fly's around the world, in the worlds largest private plane, I'll keep my big jeep and more and more people think the same. Until governments give us workable solutions this will remain the case. People's attitudes are changing and it isn't towards tree hugging.

+1. They are putting the cart before the horse in every one of their so-called solutions. Brain dead stuff!

seafoid

Diesel is going to be priced out of sight in the next decade. Fossil fuels are on the way out.

trailer

Quote from: seafoid on August 31, 2023, 05:10:44 PM
Diesel is going to be priced out of sight in the next decade. Fossil fuels are on the way out.

You say that but ppl are already voting these c***ts out of power and we'll follow here. Uproar in England over ULEZ for example. Dutch farmers the same.

seafoid

Quote from: trailer on August 31, 2023, 06:21:13 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 31, 2023, 05:10:44 PM

You say that but ppl are already voting these c***ts out of power and we'll follow here. Uproar in England over ULEZ for example. Dutch farmers the same.
It won't change  anything in the medium term

seafoid

The well known lefties the Tories included a commitment to phase out petrol and diesel cars in their 2019 election manifesto.

knockitdown

Anyone got an Audi etron? What's the verdict? Looking at changing to first EV but concerned about mileage capabilities. Audi giving a range of 256 to a full charge, but then it's not advisable to charge beyond 80% to protect battery life. Add in that the 256 is likely optimistic in the first place, I'm thinking it would be closer to 200mile to a normal charge

seafoid

Quote from: knockitdown on September 17, 2023, 10:58:48 AM
Anyone got an Audi etron? What's the verdict? Looking at changing to first EV but concerned about mileage capabilities. Audi giving a range of 256 to a full charge, but then it's not advisable to charge beyond 80% to protect battery life. Add in that the 256 is likely optimistic in the first place, I'm thinking it would be closer to 200mile to a normal charge

We have. We have around 270 and you just work around it. As long as fast chargers are available and/or you have a home charger it is grand. You just  build it into your planning. On long journeys you build in stops. The remaining range is a guess based on most recent experience  .It is not definitive.  It is not the same as a petrol/diesel estimate afaik.
We have the car for 2 years and the one that replaces it will have a longer range.

If we are a bit tight on the way home and it is 40 miles and we only have say 30 miles range we first shut down all entertainment , AC etc. This usually gets it back to say 50. Otherwise we do a quick top up back to 50.  Do not run out of charge.

snoopdog

Quote from: seafoid on September 17, 2023, 11:30:05 AM

We have. We have around 270 and you just work around it. As long as fast chargers are available and/or you have a home charger it is grand. You just  build it into your planning. On long journeys you build in stops. The remaining range is a guess based on most recent experience  .It is not definitive.  It is not the same as a petrol/diesel estimate afaik.
We have the car for 2 years and the one that replaces it will have a longer range.

If we are a bit tight on the way home and it is 40 miles and we only have say 30 miles range we first shut down all entertainment , AC etc. This usually gets it back to say 50. Otherwise we do a quick top up back to 50.  Do not run out of charge.

Fair play to you I wouldn't be bothered with electric outside of the cities. Spending how much on an electric car to have to turn off heat AC etc to make sure you get home. Feck that.  Prob charging it from an electric source made by fossil fuel.

seafoid

Quote from: snoopdog on September 17, 2023, 01:43:20 PM

Fair play to you I wouldn't be bothered with electric outside of the cities. Spending how much on an electric car to have to turn off heat AC etc to make sure you get home. Feck that.  Prob charging it from an electric source made by fossil fuel.
Imagine if diesel cars ever ran low on diesel. They would have to hold to a filling station. Thank god that never happens.

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on September 17, 2023, 01:48:19 PM
Imagine if diesel cars ever ran low on diesel. They would have to hold to a filling station. Thank god that never happens.

No, someone can put 5L of diesel in a can and bring it to the car.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

knockitdown

Thanks

Do you charge it to 100% or just 80% as recommended?

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on September 17, 2023, 01:59:15 PM

In Armagh.

How many times  in a decade would a typical driver run out of diesel ?

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on September 17, 2023, 05:51:52 PM

In Armagh.

Less than the number of power cuts.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trailer

Quote from: armaghniac on September 17, 2023, 06:24:18 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 17, 2023, 05:51:52 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 17, 2023, 01:48:19 PMImagine if diesel cars ever ran low on diesel. They would have to hold to a filling station. Thank god that never happens.

In Armagh.

Less than the number of power cuts.

A bio diesel will come on stream soon. Engines won't need to be adapted. For this and lots of other reasons electric vehicles won't take off. Governments are already pulling subsidies and tax breaks.