AIFSF Replay Mayo v Dublin, Sat 5th Sept. HQ.

Started by highorlow, September 01, 2015, 10:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Trap

On the Sunday game Whelan said that a lot would depend on the disciplinary procedures during the week as he feared for Connolly Cooper and McMahon...........with all three likely to play surely the Dubs are strong favourites.........

Tubberman

Quote from: INDIANA on September 05, 2015, 09:39:41 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 05, 2015, 09:26:31 AM
It's gonna get nasty today. Very nasty, I fear.

Some players may well be needing their jaw wired up after it.

That would be my fear too. It's going to be a war-zone today.

Whoever wins today is not going to the final as they'll likely have injuries and suspensions to deal with.

I'd expect something similar to the 1996 AI Final Replay.

Two teams who hate the sight of each other and two sets of fans in a similar boat now after the last week. Could well end up with punch ups in the Stand as well especially with alcohol on board. Let's hope it doesn't happen.

Anyway Connolly probably won't start as he was up till 3am this morning and Dublin internally had already announced their team with him not in it.

I think, and I hope, that your attitude over the past week hasn't been typical of the majority of Dublin supporters
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Zulu

Quote from: INDIANA on September 05, 2015, 09:39:41 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 05, 2015, 09:26:31 AM
It's gonna get nasty today. Very nasty, I fear.

Some players may well be needing their jaw wired up after it.

That would be my fear too. It's going to be a war-zone today.

Whoever wins today is not going to the final as they'll likely have injuries and suspensions to deal with.

I'd expect something similar to the 1996 AI Final Replay.

Two teams who hate the sight of each other and two sets of fans in a similar boat now after the last week. Could well end up with punch ups in the Stand as well especially with alcohol on board. Let's hope it doesn't happen.

Anyway Connolly probably won't start as he was up till 3am this morning and Dublin internally had already announced their team with him not in it.

Although anything cold happen I expect the opposite to happen. After last weeks game both managements will be emphasising the need for discipline ad the players will be aware the referee may be anxious to stamp out any messing early. I expect a first 10 minutes of extremely fussy officiating. I hope the atmosphere isn't poisonous in the stands and everybody enjoys what should be a great game.

muppet

I am delighted. Connolly was completely wired the last day and is likely to be even worse today after the week he has had. Without even getting into his aggression, he was responsible for the two frees brought forward for mouthing to the ref. We didn't play Keane at all, but Gavin will start Connolly.

Those expecting nasty game can merely look at the same players who crossed the line the last time. There were around other 30 players on the pitch who never crossed any line anywhere. Why must we only highlight the negatives?

Yes the GAA disciplinary sytem is a complete farce. Hugh O'Flaherty is famous for his 'interventions'.  ;D

But that is all part of the theatre.

MWWSI 2017

Chimley

Quote from: muppet on September 05, 2015, 11:01:29 AM
I am delighted. Connolly was completely wired the last day and is likely to be even worse today after the week he has had. Without even getting into his aggression, he was responsible for the two frees brought forward for mouthing to the ref. We didn't play Keane at all, but Gavin will start Connolly.

Those expecting nasty game can merely look at the same players who crossed the line the last time. There were around other 30 players on the pitch who never crossed any line anywhere. Why must we only highlight the negatives?

Yes the GAA disciplinary sytem is a complete farce. Hugh O'Flaherty is famous for his 'interventions'.  ;D

But that is all part of the theatre.

Whatever the reason, Keegan seems to grind his gears and takes his mind from the game. If Connolly starts, I think that particular battle will be a damp squib today as they will be watched like a hawk. They'll be like two subdued choirboys, but will probably have little influence on the game.

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: maccer on September 05, 2015, 09:16:01 AM
Who cares anymore?
how can underage mentors try to instill discipline on hard to manage teens when they can point to this. For an association that looked down their noses are soccer for years this is farcical. I give up.
but sure who cares the money is coming in and a horde will be delirious tonight

Exactly. And why would parents want kids to choose a sport where the example from the top is to stand for nothing but winning at all costs? Not a shred of integrity left.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on September 05, 2015, 11:11:09 AM
Who cares anymore?
how can underage mentors try to instill discipline on hard to manage teens when they can point to this. For an association that looked down their noses are soccer for years this is farcical. I give up.

Exactly. And why would parents want kids to choose a sport where the example from the top is to stand for nothing but winning at all costs? Not a shred of integrity left.
Rugby is now the first choice for many kids.

The Hill is Blue

Connolly and Keegan will be the most watched players on the pitch today by all officials therefore I expect both of them to be very careful.

Remember if either of them sees red today one of them is in line to miss out on an All Ireland Final.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Syferus

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 05, 2015, 11:15:43 AM
Connolly and Keegan will be the most watched players on the pitch today by all officials therefore I expect both of them to be very careful.

Remember if either of them sees red today one of them is in line to miss out on an All Ireland Final.

After last night's antics I wouldn't even be sure if bringing a bat on the field and battering a player with it would result in a red card that had a suspension that sticks. Just ring the Dismissal Reversals Association and you're sorted.

Teo Lurley

I'm worried for Mayo today. I don't just mean on the scoreboard. Mayo players and fans, stay safe. Get the game over with and win or lose get out of Dublin sharpish.

giveballaghback

Canalman

Quote from: Aaron Boone on September 05, 2015, 11:15:03 AM
Who cares anymore?

Nonsense. This so called drift to Rugby is all agenda driven.

Soccer and Gaelic Football are still the kings in Irish sport.

sid waddell

Quote from: Canalman on September 05, 2015, 11:46:15 AM
Who cares anymore?

To quote Jerry Kiernan, nobody plays rugby.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: highorlow on September 05, 2015, 09:49:56 AM
Hope Dermo starts for 2 reasons, he can't be 100% prepared and the dubs have no excuses.

The reasons for clearing him should be published by the g a a otherwise punching opponents is now part of the rules!

P.s. Keane's was a farce too but that was overturned on technical grounds.

The Panel's decision related to lack of fair procedure afforded to Mr. Connolly at an early stage in the GAA's internal disciplinary process which unfairly hindered the preparations for, and presentation of, his defence. Mr Connolly was thus free to play in the replay of the above match on 5 September.
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Canalman on September 05, 2015, 11:46:15 AM
Who cares anymore?

Fair enough, Gaelic and soccer are the most popular field sports in this country but the numbers of kids joining rugby clubs around the country are growing steadily. You can put this down to the international dimension, the increased exposure thanks to television or he popularity of BOD and ROG, not to mention PO'C or whatever you like but the fact is that rugby is gaining in popularity.
For me, the consistency of the rules is a big factor. Rugger buggers don't need DRAs and CCCCs and Uncle Tom Cobley and all to sort out disputes about ref's decisions on the field of play.
I reffed a fair few underage games in my time and the only rule I bothered about was number 8; "The referee shall be sole judge of Law and Fact during a match."
(I think that's now Rule 6A4 but the concept remains the same.)
Only a masochist would want to be in Eddie Kinsella's boots today.
Every time he sticks the whistle in his gob, he knows he's likely to get abuse from somewhere and his decisions may be examined and analysed in detail on national TV or by a string of GAA appeals committees. He may be the referee but he isn't the final arbitrator when he makes a decision on the field of play and he knows it.
I know Joe Mac made a horse's haemes out of his job last Sunday but for every mistake that cost Mayo dearly, I'd say any Dub will have one to balance it.
Any middle-aged man shouldn't be expected to keep up with the play for the full duration of the game when all of the players can manage to take a breather once in a while.
Either clarify the rules or give the ref a segway, there's no other way out.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi