Who would want to be Laois manager?

Started by beano, June 24, 2015, 12:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Ex Laoistalk

That's more like it Tony, a bit of positive thinking. Truth is no matter who manages the Laois team Dublin are so far ahead of the rest that the most we can hope for is a good draw and a Leinster final appearance.
I think we have the players to achieve that if they have the will to do so and they buy into the manager, rightly or wrongly and give him a fair chance.
Parkinson obviously has a problem with him but I'm disappointed with his comments about not supporting Laois anymore.
Any true Laoisman will support his county regardless of whoever the manager is and be proud to do so. Sadly a lot of the Portlaoise guys have this attitude towards the county which is something we don't need at this time.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

maccer

as regards the coaching set up The Monument Road is on the right track. The coaches employed are spreading themselves too thinly with schools, development squads, cul camps etc. I can't see why the county board don't hold at least 2 coaching courses for each level every year. That way each club would have a group of recently qualified coaches training juvenile teams. How many courses have been held in the last 2 years? How many interested people are out there weekly training juvenile teams and having to make it up themselves as they go along? If coaches were properly trained clubs would produce more players able to participate in the development squads where the paid coaches could take over. This would then supply senior players in the years ahead. The attitude of 1 or 2 lads coming through each year will suffice has to stop. There's no reason why Laois can't produce competitive teams every year in every grade. There's plenty of people willing to help and do things properly but the county board may take the lead

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Heshs Umpire

So, Mick Lillis.

I can't say he'd have been a name I'd have thought likely to get the job when TOF stepped down. Has a good club record, not so good with Laois under 21 and minor teams.

I think it's worth a shot giving the job to a Portlaoise man, with the hope that a number of their senior team will come on board. Looking at them last Sunday, I could see 7/8 players worth bringing in to the senior panel. I'm thinking Brody, Healy, Boyle, Lillis, Cotter, Cahillane, Seale and Dillon. Smith was good too when he came on.

As a county, we can't afford to be without a good proportion of our senior panel being from the largest town in the county.

Good luck to him anyway, it's a tough job he's undertaken and a huge commitment.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Tony

I have to say I'm getting more and more optimistic about the appointment...IF IF IF he gets a great background team and attracts players to commit to Laois for the year. The Portlaoise lads committing would make a massive difference - loads of competition for places breeds high standards. 

Unlaoised

A good backroom team is vital to anyone at intercounty level now some would argue more important than the manager.

Mick will bring plenty of passion to the job and like cheddar will leave no stone unturned to get the best out of the Laois squad.

I hope the senior players like Begley,Quigley,Strong,O'Loughlin row in behind him.

If he can get Meaney,Cahilane,,Healy,O'Leary,Rodgers ,Gary Walsh and a few more of these guys who left last year and before and a few fresh faces from Portlaoise like Seale,Cotter maybe Eoin Feane then it will create a buzz around the squad again and the players will start to train and fight harder for a place.

Some pride back in the jersey is all we want I think we have the footballers to do quiet well and at least reach the last 12.

He has my support as the Blue and white always will!!!

LAOIS ABÚ

Cruella De Vil

Have to echo the general sentiment here, Mick is arguably the strongest of the internal candidates at the moment, and hopefully can get the county pulling together, with most of our lads playing. I've heard the selectors will be the same as last years minor set up, with John strong & Kieran Kelly. Also heard Pat Murphy (the rock) is added to the ticket, I think he's coaching in Carlow or Kildare at the moment.
Better take a punt on our own than an unproven outsider I think.

OTF

Quote from: Unlaoised on October 06, 2015, 04:18:07 PM
A good backroom team is vital to anyone at intercounty level now some would argue more important than the manager.

Mick will bring plenty of passion to the job and like cheddar will leave no stone unturned to get the best out of the Laois squad.

I hope the senior players like Begley,Quigley,Strong,O'Loughlin row in behind him.

If he can get Meaney,Cahilane,,Healy,O'Leary,Rodgers ,Gary Walsh and a few more of these guys who left last year and before and a few fresh faces from Portlaoise like Seale,Cotter maybe Eoin Feane then it will create a buzz around the squad again and the players will start to train and fight harder for a place.

Some pride back in the jersey is all we want I think we have the footballers to do quiet well and at least reach the last 12.

He has my support as the Blue and white always will!!!

A good backroom team because we can't afford a massive one, same as most county's.

Will Healy opt for football and drop hurling and Chedder I doubt it.

Tony

Doubt Healy will come back : Doing football and hurling for inter county in the modern age is next to impossible. Unless he's able to work out a plan with lillis and Cheddar.

Back in 1990, it was much easier. Maybe two sessions per week at most for county teams. Now it's 5/6 per week x 2 if you're with both codes. It's gotten crazy, really.

Long term, if the "pro like training" trend continues (and i think it will, and get more intense), players will simply have to be paid. Can you imagine doing at least 10 hours training  + extra personal physical training per week + extra commutes on top as well as your 40 hour p/w job? I can't. It's no wonder lads aren't committing. They simply can't. If someone has a family on top of that, it's ridiculous. Personally, I'd love if the GAA went pro, but I digress.

redsetanta

N way would Healy come back in my opinion. Hurling is his preferred sport and he is commuting from England as it is so a non runner. Jaysus if you had a team of Cahir Healy's!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

south Laois

In an interview on newstalk during the summer Healy said he'd like to go back to the football at some stage.

Laoischat

Lads lets be honest with ourselves here. Healy is a hurler, he is already making a huge sacrafice to make the hurling, commuting over and back from London, which is all travel and waiting round included is almost 6 hours travelling per journey. Lets just leave that there.

As regards other players, yes lets hope Mick can have the Cheddar effect and make players want to represent their county, and have some pride in their jersey. get rid of some dead wood and build for the future. pray for a good draw, avoid Dublin, and get to a Leinster Final.....(I make it sound so simple)

Theres enough of good footballers in this county to be contesting an All-Ireland Quarter final

jimmybarry

The real problem in Laois is the County Board....... They have no vision and are out of their depth. Laois are a county in decline and this will not change anytime soon.....

SpeculativeEffort

On the Cahir Healy topic, how long has he been commuting to and from England for? I know he is a teacher for at least 2-3 years.
How has he not been appointed somewhere at home? Imagine the player he could be if he didn't spend every free minute he has in airports.
Every sports scientist these days talks about rest and recovery and how your average GAA player doesn't get enough of it.
Surely Cahir doesn't even get a fraction of what is required?

Tony

Cahir is just committment to Laois through and through. Lads like him should be earning a wage for the contribution he's making. If the GAA goes pro, it doesn't mean that players can transfer county - it just means that the GAA will be the player's job and they can focus on being top athletes. Imagine the numbers we'd get, trying to play for Laois, if it was professional. It would be great. The GAA have more than enough to cover a wage. The sport would get huge! Interest would grow as well as attendances.

Then, a true, talented and committed athlete like Cahir wouldn't have be doing nonsense like get a plane each time he has to train.