Now McKenna takes a swipe at Harte

Started by Owen Brannigan, September 02, 2018, 09:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen Brannigan

Quote'Harte's ability to carry on so strongly and successfully is remarkable but it's not the only reason he is probably the most interesting person in GAA today, for consider the range and contrast of emotions he's brought out in others over the years.

Joy... Pride... Humility... Upset... Anger... Devastation... Inspiration... Infuriation...

That's a powerful cocktail, however plenty veer away from some of the more troublesome feelings.'

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/ewan-mackenna-theres-a-long-line-of-uncomfortable-truths-following-mickey-harte-that-cannot-be-shaken-off-37269637.html

BennyHarp

Does this guy need to be discussed on two feckin threads? He is hardly worth mentioning on one.
That was never a square ball!!

stephenite

Itchy

Playing the man and not the ball. I don't see anything wrong with that article.

Baile Brigín 2

Nothing wrong with the article. There is a nasty streak to Harte. His career should have ended the day he gave that beast a reference.

Pity who wrote the article though.

From the Bunker

A nasty but truthful article.

Sometimes the truth hurts to hear!

square_ball

So the uncomfortable truths from that article are he's a catholic, he supports Sean Quinn and the court reference (which I agree was a stupid move from Harte). A hatchet job of an article.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: square_ball on September 02, 2018, 03:11:20 PM
So the uncomfortable truths from that article are he's a catholic, he supports Sean Quinn and the court reference (which I agree was a stupid move from Harte). A hatchet job of an article.
....that he used the GAA to promote his anti choice politics in a referendum that at the risk of being partitionist, had nothing to do with him.

armaghniac

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 02, 2018, 04:12:07 PM
....that he used the GAA to promote his anti choice politics in a referendum that at the risk of being partitionist, had nothing to do with him.

Do you find Donal Og Cusack, and Aidan O'Shea's using their GAA  fame to promote homosexual marriage equally distasteful, or is it entirely a question of whether you agree with their views or not?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mrdeeds

Quote from: armaghniac on September 02, 2018, 05:32:03 PM

Do you find Donal Og Cusack, and Aidan O'Shea's using their GAA  fame to promote homosexual marriage equally distasteful, or is it entirely a question of whether you agree with their views or not?

What group did they set up that refrenced the game?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: armaghniac on September 02, 2018, 05:32:03 PM

Did they use GAA property and kids training sessions?

Having and publically articulating a stance is one thing.

Using, without permission, GAA facilities for press conferences to promote that position is another. Setting up organisation with the letters GAA in it is taking the piss completely

five points

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 02, 2018, 05:38:08 PM
Setting up organisation with the letters GAA in it is taking the piss completely
That was fake news. The media told you the group was calling itself 'GAA Athletes for a No Vote'. The truth was somewhat different.

And the kids training session was held on a community facility, not on GAA property.

There wasn't a pip out of you when Tramore GAA club hosted a "parent & toddler" Repeal event in March.

Applesisapples

At face value this article invokes a certain unpalatable aspect of Harte's persona. But here's the rub. He is entitled to hold his faith, express his views and contribute to debate. I don't know the details of the training session with Kids but I'm pretty sure that you can't use images of them without specific parental consent. Even those who express guilt for a crime are entitled to have an advocate, harsh as that might be to the vitim's and lets not forget that Harte has a unique insight into what it is like to be a victim of a heinous crime and injustice. I didn't see what he said, however if he was asking for clemency or some recognition of contrition, then that is in keeping with his faith and not unlike the actions of the late Gordon Wilson.

I don't accept Mickey Harte's position on abortion, I don't have his faith in religion or the Church, I certainly don't hold with his views on the Gay community but neither thank God do I have any understanding of what it is like to lose a child. It is very easy to superficially rubbish someone in this way but he is entitled to his view and entitled to persuade people if he can to their validity. He won't persuade me, I am still pro-choice in limited circumstances, pro equal marriage and very disappointed in the Church's response to abuse and historic crimes. But I am also pro Harte's right to live his faith as he see's fit, within the law of course.

Snapchap

Quote from: Itchy on September 02, 2018, 12:25:52 PM

Do you see no irony in that post? You criticise someone for 'playing the man and not the ball', then immediately defend an article about Mickey Harte which makes barely a single reference to his ability as a manager, but rather is just a lengthy character assassination of him as a person.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Snapchap on September 03, 2018, 12:59:08 PM
Quote from: Itchy on September 02, 2018, 12:25:52 PM

Do you see no irony in that post? You criticise someone for 'playing the man and not the ball', then immediately defend an article about Mickey Harte which makes barely a single reference to his ability as a manager, but rather is just a lengthy character assassination of him as a person.
And every thing he criticised is something Harte himself put into the public domain....