Mass shooting in New Zeland

Started by DrinkingHarp, March 15, 2019, 03:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: toby47 on March 15, 2019, 09:55:32 AM
Quote from: gallsman on March 15, 2019, 09:46:57 AM
Quote from: toby47 on March 15, 2019, 09:41:48 AM
Read a stat online there - 49 dead in New Zealand is the equivalent of 333,000 in the US.

Brutal attack & terrible news to wake to.

Where did you read that? Because whoever wrote it (and you perhaps) needs to go back to maths class. It would be about 330 people. Horrific obviously, but missing out by a factor of 10³ a bit mental.

To be dead honest the source was just a highly retweeted tweet. However having done the maths (which admittedly I'm poor at) I believe it would be roughly the same as 3,300?

However after an attack like that I don't think it's quite relevant to be arguing about maths

Ah, jaysus, a bit embarrassing I cocked that up alright.

If it's not relevant, why did you introduce it in the first place? You're the one who started drawing parallels.

toby47

Quote from: gallsman on March 15, 2019, 10:14:16 AM
Read a stat online there - 49 dead in New Zealand is the equivalent of 333,000 in the US.

Where did you read that? Because whoever wrote it (and you perhaps) needs to go back to maths class. It would be about 330 people. Horrific obviously, but missing out by a factor of 10³ a bit mental.

To be dead honest the source was just a highly retweeted tweet. However having done the maths (which admittedly I'm poor at) I believe it would be roughly the same as 3,300?

However after an attack like that I don't think it's quite relevant to be arguing about maths

If it's not relevant, why did you introduce it in the first place? You're the one who started drawing parallels.

I said it's not relevant to be arguing about maths. My first post wasn't an argument about maths.

gallsman

Quote from: toby47 on March 15, 2019, 10:20:30 AM

I said it's not relevant to be arguing about maths. My first post wasn't an argument about maths.

It's entirely relevant when you state that it's the equivalent of 330,000 people being murdered.

And you can't argue the maths, you can be either right or wrong.

toby47

Quote from: gallsman on March 15, 2019, 10:23:56 AM
Quote from: toby47 on March 15, 2019, 10:20:30 AM

It's entirely relevant when you state that it's the equivalent of 330,000 people being murdered.

And you can't argue the maths, you can be either right or wrong.

And we were both wrong  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

gallsman

Rossfan

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 15, 2019, 09:59:36 AM
Of all Western countries such a terrorist attack could have happened, New Zealand certainly would not have topped the list. It's not a multicultural utopia but is otherwise a relatively quiet, peaceful place geographically isolated from much of the rest of the world where people from various ethnicities get along quietly.
It has to be said, if something like this can happen in New Zealand, it could also happen in Ireland.
R.I.P.
With likes of Gemma Doherty, Casey, Justin Barrett and the rest if the neo Nazs whipping up hatred ....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

gallsman

To the surprise of absolutely nobody, Fraser Anning is an associate of Farage.

Main Street

Fraser's now guaranteed a seat for life, the hero of the Queensland bumpkins.

Dire Ear

A suspect in the New Zealand mosque shootings appears to have described himself as an "ordinary white man" who "decided to take a stand".

Brenton Tarrant, 28, from Australia, was named in media reports in his home country as the gunman "My parents are of Scottish, Irish and English stock. I had a regular childhood, without any great issues. I had little interest in education during my schooling, barely achieving a passing grade."

He adds: "I am just a regular White man, from a regular family. Who decided to take a stand to ensure a future for my people."

He describes himself as "a private and mostly introverted person" and admits he is racist, adding that he is an "Eco-fascist by nature".

He said New Zealand was not the original choice for an attack, saying he only came to the country temporarily to plan and train.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: stephenite on March 15, 2019, 10:02:23 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on March 15, 2019, 08:40:28 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 15, 2019, 08:25:31 AM
It was an attack on Mosques, so Trump probably won't say too much. the Australian Senator from Queensland gave a truly bizarre statement.

Fraser Anning

Elected as an Australian senator with a grand total of 19 votes

William Fraser Anning......need we say more?

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 15, 2019, 09:59:36 AM
Of all Western countries such a terrorist attack could have happened, New Zealand certainly would not have topped the list. It's not a multicultural utopia but is otherwise a relatively quiet, peaceful place geographically isolated from much of the rest of the world where people from various ethnicities get along quietly.
It has to be said, if something like this can happen in New Zealand, it could also happen in Ireland.
R.I.P.

Ever heard of Darkley? Border Fox?