Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

time ticking away

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 10, 2019, 03:38:25 PM
Quote from: Under Lights on October 10, 2019, 03:25:46 PM
Dregish football club apparently is no more. All players transferred to Newtownstewart is the talk.

If true, then that's sad news concerning Dregish, though it seemed inevitable that they would fold sooner or later given that they had no youth teams of their own for many years, and even before then, they were struggling to field players (rules introduced concerning the minimum age of players at different age groups no doubt made that job impossible, no more U14's playing at Minor for example). I'll have to check to see whom the last football club in Tyrone was to fold but it's definitely some time back, probably 80's. I think it was Mountfield, though could have been Windmill.
Windmill definitely played when there was no Mountfield.
I remember a club called Mountjoy on the lough shore also
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

bigtogs

Quote from: time ticking away on October 10, 2019, 03:47:42 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 10, 2019, 03:38:25 PM
Quote from: Under Lights on October 10, 2019, 03:25:46 PM
Dregish football club apparently is no more. All players transferred to Newtownstewart is the talk.

If true, then that's sad news concerning Dregish, though it seemed inevitable that they would fold sooner or later given that they had no youth teams of their own for many years, and even before then, they were struggling to field players (rules introduced concerning the minimum age of players at different age groups no doubt made that job impossible, no more U14's playing at Minor for example). I'll have to check to see whom the last football club in Tyrone was to fold but it's definitely some time back, probably 80's. I think it was Mountfield, though could have been Windmill.
Windmill definitely played when there was no Mountfield.
I remember a club called Mountjoy on the lough shore also

Lord Mountjoy changed their name to Brocagh

GetOverTheBar

Not to start a bit of a war on this....but did Glencull as a club actually fold or was it a club' or what exactly was the craic there?

SG08

Forgive me if I'm being ignorant but what happened to Washingbay years ago? did they simply change to Derrylaughan. Or was it split into several clubs?

LeoMc

While we are on the history lessons where is Windmill?

I vaguely remember playing them underage and had always thought they were in Ardboe parish, possibly Coagh.

Mountfield folding is part of the history of Killyclogher underage being called Cappagh, to represent the whole parish.

I don't think Glencull St Malachys were ever amalgamated to the GAA and only played tournaments and carnivals.

Dregish have also been bordering on Castlederg and Drumquin so it sounds like a group decision to throw their lot in with Newtown despite combining underage with Drumquin.

Under Lights

Quote from: LeoMc on October 10, 2019, 04:19:16 PM
While we are on the history lessons where is Windmill?

I vaguely remember playing them underage and had always thought they were in Ardboe parish, possibly Coagh.

Mountfield folding is part of the history of Killyclogher underage being called Cappagh, to represent the whole parish.

I don't think Glencull St Malachys were ever amalgamated to the GAA and only played tournaments and carnivals.

Dregish have also been bordering on Castlederg and Drumquin so it sounds like a group decision to throw their lot in with Newtown despite combining underage with Drumquin.

Big fall out, blood spilled.

marty34

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 10, 2019, 05:45:34 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 10, 2019, 04:11:46 PM
Not to start a bit of a war on this....but did Glencull as a club actually fold or was it a club' or what exactly was the craic there?
It was in effect an unaffiliated Gaelic Football Club. It tried to obtain affiliation via the Tyrone County Board but got cockblocked each time before they "merged" or "reunited" with Ballygawley St. Ciaran's to become Errigal Ciaran.

Mountjoy Emmetts changed to become Brocagh (or Brockagh) Emmetts in think in 1980.

The link between the old Washingbay Shamrocks and the present Derrylaughan is one I'm not entirely sure of but as far as I know both clubs covered the same catchment area. Someone nearer the loughshore than myself will probably know better.

Windmill was based up along the Tyrone/Derry border close to Ardboe & Moortown. It amalgamated with a neighbouring club in Co. Derry to become Órga Colmcille if I'm correct. (EDIT: Seems like Ógra Colmcille is itself struggling to stay afloat themselves after withdrawing from the Derry senior league).

Way back in 2007, Drumquin & Dregish formed a youth amalgamation called Michael Cusacks, but it was disbanded after the end of 2008. Since then youth players whom would otherwise be associated with Dregish have been playing with different neighbouring clubs.

As to which folded first, Windmill or Mountfield, someone with a pile of old Tyrone GAA annuals might be able to look it up. 🧐

Ironically enough, Ogra Colmcille folded during the sumemer.

Norf Tyrone

Funny I was looking through a newspaper from 1980 earlier. It looks like Mountfield were fielding but not Windmill.

Also, and I'd need to check again, was there a youth team called St Albans?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

time ticking away

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on October 10, 2019, 05:59:29 PM
Funny I was looking through a newspaper from 1980 earlier. It looks like Mountfield were fielding but not Windmill.

Windmill were playing in the late 80s
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: time ticking away on October 10, 2019, 06:22:41 PM

Windmill were playing in the late 80s

Thought that too.

I assume they were suspended that year.
😊

LeoMc

On the subject of amalgamations areGael Naomh Padraig an Augher, Eskra, Clogher combination?
Who then are the similarly are Naomh Padraig?
Was there once an Eglish, Aghaloo, Kileeshil combination called Shamrocks, perhaps early 90s or late 80s.

clarshack

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 10, 2019, 06:23:18 PM

IIRC St. Albans was a combined youth team of Stewartstown & Brackaville - our resident Stewartstown member might be able to confirm.

Yes you are correct about St. Albans. That team was present from the late 70's to early 80's.
It actually won't be long until we need an amalgamation again with somebody.

Still can't get my head around our current u13's being put into grade 2 as we only have a squad of 15 players and nearly half of them are still in primary school and there are no 3rd years on the team either. And then you look at some of the clubs in grade 3.

As for Windmill they were definitely playing circa 1990/1991 before folding.

bigtogs

Clann Eireann was part of amalgamations in Clonoe Parish as follows

Clann Eireann..1970's was Clonoe/Derrylaughan/Derrytresk/Mountjoy(Brocagh)
Clann Eireann.....1980's up to 1986/87 Clonoe/Brocagh

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: LeoMc on October 10, 2019, 07:52:49 PM
On the subject of amalgamations areGael Naomh Padraig an Augher, Eskra, Clogher combination?
Was there once an Eglish, Aghaloo, Kileeshil combination called Shamrocks, perhaps early 90s or late 80s.

There was a Shamrocks playing in that 1980 paper I read today. It was a youth grade although I can't mind which one.

bigtogs

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on October 10, 2019, 09:39:08 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on October 10, 2019, 07:52:49 PM

There was a Shamrocks playing in that 1980 paper I read today. It was a youth grade although I can't mind which one.

They won a grade one minor championship i think about 1987??