FBD 2024

Started by Farrandeelin, November 08, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchard park

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 10, 2019, 02:16:04 AM
Quote from: Manning18 on January 10, 2019, 02:02:21 AM
Players opting out on Cunningham. Colour me surprised. Who could have seen this coming?

I think those that opted out did so before Cunningham was even in the running for the job.

Correct but not as good a story to peddle.... there is normal player churn, a few post college travelling,a few in 30s retired , and 2 or 3 unavailable... No big story...

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Orchard park on January 10, 2019, 08:44:25 AM
Players opting out on Cunningham. Colour me surprised. Who could have seen this coming?

I think those that opted out did so before Cunningham was even in the running for the job.

Correct but not as good a story to peddle.... there is normal player churn, a few post college travelling,a few in 30s retired , and 2 or 3 unavailable... No big story...
I would not be so sure about that. There are players from other counties opting out for a variety of reasons but the bottom line where the vast majority are concerned is that they can't don't see any point in putting in the sacrifices needed to compete at intercounty level when they know there's nothing in store for them except Armageddon when the meet Dublin or one of the others that are attempting t keep place with the Dubs.
John Maughan has had over a dozen who told him they weren't interested. Last year, the Fermanagh manager had much the same story to tell and the Tipp squad were a few first choice players who didn't commit for another season.
THe numbers defecting will continue to grow, I'm guessing.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

Young lads from economically weak areas often have to put real life before virtually full time amateur football.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rosnarun

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 10, 2019, 09:01:08 AM

I would not be so sure about that. There are players from other counties opting out for a variety of reasons but the bottom line where the vast majority are concerned is that they can't don't see any point in putting in the sacrifices needed to compete at intercounty level when they know there's nothing in store for them except Armageddon when the meet Dublin or one of the others that are attempting t keep place with the Dubs.
John Maughan has had over a dozen who told him they weren't interested. Last year, the Fermanagh manager had much the same story to tell and the Tipp squad were a few first choice players who didn't commit for another season.
are there any figures to back that up or otherwise?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Orchard park

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 10, 2019, 09:01:08 AM

I am referring to the Roscommon player turnover which is at very normal levels so no big story

There is a considerable  issue nationally as can be told from at least  Offaly, Fermanagh, Wicklow and Meath news stories over the past few years

Rossfan

So who's "not committing"?
McInerney concentrating on medicine (back Summer?), McManus work commitments,  Compton and Ciaráin taking a year out for travelling.
O'Rourke went away but is back again while Seánie, Kilbride and Domo have packed it in.
On the injury front Diarmuid is out for the League with an eye injury.
As for Sunday I wonder will Anthony go with the fringe lads as a sort of final trial?

Orchard park

only one apart from who you have listed from that I see is Fintan Cregg who is going travelling also.....

Dont see any major issue, or indeed any reason why McStay alluded to players not committing as a reason to bail out....

Cunny Funt

Apparently 7 Corofin players on the Galway FBD panel. Bernard Power,Liam Silke,Dylan Wall,Kieran Molloy,Mike Farragher,Jason Leonard and Ian Burke.

Orchard park

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 10, 2019, 02:57:44 PM
Apparently 7 Corofin players on the Galway FBD panel. Bernard Power,Liam Silke,Dylan Wall,Kieran Molloy,Mike Farragher,Jason Leonard and Ian Burke.

A big U turn by either club or Walsh...

All good footballers and as a Rossie I'd prefer to see none on county panel

GalwayBayBoy

Taken from the Galway footballers homepage. They always seem to be in the know.

There are a number of new faces in the Galway panel for the FBD League

- Cillian McDaid (Monivea/Abbey)
- John Daly (Mountbellew/Moylough)
- Fintan Cooney (St. James')
- Gearoid Armstrong (Salthill/Knocknacarra)
- Maghnus Breathnach (An Spidéal)
- Antaine Ó Laoi (An Spidéal)
- Finnian Ó Laoi (An Spidéal)
- Mikey Boyle (Killererin)
- Stephen Lawless (Caherlistrane)
- Aidan Claffey (Maigh Cuilinn)
- David Cunnane (St. Michael's)
- Liam Boyle (Kilkerrin/Clonberne)

Paul Conroy & Eamonn Brannigan are both long term injury absentees ahead of the new season.

Conroy continues his recovery, having sustained a broken leg back in July, against Kerry during the Super 8's in Croke Park.

Brannigan underwent ankle surgery towards the end of last year & he continues his recovery from the surgery.

Sean Armstrong has retired and both Cathal and Patrick Sweeney are unavailable in 2019 due to work commitments.

By the way is Fintan Cooney not your man from the last series of Underdogs?

spuds

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 10, 2019, 03:41:02 PM
Taken from the Galway footballers homepage. They always seem to be in the know.

There are a number of new faces in the Galway panel for the FBD League

- Cillian McDaid (Monivea/Abbey)
- John Daly (Mountbellew/Moylough)
- Fintan Cooney (St. James')
- Gearoid Armstrong (Salthill/Knocknacarra)
- Maghnus Breathnach (An Spidéal)
- Antaine Ó Laoi (An Spidéal)
- Finnian Ó Laoi (An Spidéal)
- Mikey Boyle (Killererin)
- Stephen Lawless (Caherlistrane)
- Aidan Claffey (Maigh Cuilinn)
- David Cunnane (St. Michael's)
- Liam Boyle (Kilkerrin/Clonberne)

Paul Conroy & Eamonn Brannigan are both long term injury absentees ahead of the new season.

Conroy continues his recovery, having sustained a broken leg back in July, against Kerry during the Super 8's in Croke Park.

Brannigan underwent ankle surgery towards the end of last year & he continues his recovery from the surgery.

Sean Armstrong has retired and both Cathal and Patrick Sweeney are unavailable in 2019 due to work commitments.

By the way is Fintan Cooney not your man from the last series of Underdogs?
Gearoid Armstrong any relation to Army?
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Manning18

The earliest anyone ive spoke to from Ros had any wind of these was a few weeks back. So it was known in October that 3 of yer 5 best players were taking the year off and noone spoke about it on here or elsewhere online?

weareros

Quote from: Manning18 on January 10, 2019, 05:00:35 PM

The earliest anyone ive spoke to from Ros had any wind of these was a few weeks back. So it was known in October that 3 of yer 5 best players were taking the year off and noone spoke about it on here or elsewhere online?

It was well known. It was even one of the reasons Kevin McStay opted not to stay for another year, after initially indicating that he would. He even pointed it out in his resignation note.

Orchard park

Quote from: Manning18 on January 10, 2019, 05:00:35 PM

It was well known last September  no big secret or mystery.......... so not sure what in the dark Rossies you were talking to..... wouldn't agree with your high raking of the players as being 3 of the top 5 though, decent and all that they are

Rossfan

Ciaráin is the major loss while McInerney is a decent defender.
Mullooly is back and I see Darren O'Malley also returned to the fold.
Good interview with Anthony in the "Hatch News".
The freesheet showing up the Ros Herald again.