Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

The clip Sky are showing is pretty damning with Pogba and Jose.

Looks like 1 is gone.

Boycey

Quote from: thewobbler on September 26, 2018, 12:04:31 PM
I've mentioned this a few times on here but Woodward has in the past five years:

- appointed two of the most successful and influential coaches in European football history.
- given them each a high 9-figure war chest for transfers.
- allowed them both to decimate the wage ceilings of before.

In terms of allowing a football team every advantage necessary, hehas fulfilled his end of the bargain, and then some more. He has appointed high-level expertise to run footballing matters.

His responsibilities therefore lie elsewhere in terms of income generation. Blaming him for United's malaise is like blaming the Queen for a military operation failing. Is this that hard to comprehend?

If 2 of the most successful and influential managers in European football history can't make a trick of them maybe the problem is elsewhere?

The warchest-You make it sound like everyone else is buying players for Smarties. An example being Pep who inherited a much healthier squad than Jose has brought in 22 players compared to Mourinhos 10 and spend £200m more, I could go on.

Mourinhos tells the club the players he wants, well he used to  :), Woodward negotiates the deals so who's responsible for the destruction of the wage ceiling? Mourinhos own deal is another example of bad business. I could name umpteen more.

Woodward is obviously dictating transfer strategy as this stage which hardly letting others run football matters is it?

I could say 'is that hard to comprehend' but this is only my opinion.

screenexile

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on September 26, 2018, 11:35:34 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 26, 2018, 11:26:47 AM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on September 26, 2018, 11:12:57 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 26, 2018, 10:58:57 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 25, 2018, 10:12:27 PM
That's the best result for Utd, Jose will be out by Xmas at this rate, I think he'll walk rather than be pushed.. those set of players should take a good look at themselves tonight and be very embarrassed

Not a chance will he walk. Never done it in his previous jobs and he is unlikely to just waive his right to a £10-15m payoff. That is one area I wouldn't actually blame him on.

He deserves a large portion of the blame though since a lot of these players are under performing and he bought a good few of them. Morale seems to be at an all time low and there is a growing apathy among the supporters as to what is happening within the club. Meanwhile Woodward is doing a great job as far as the Glazers are concerned as the dollars continue to roll in. Even though he appointed the last 3 managers none of whom have lived up to expectations. At what point does he begin to get questioned or will he simply whip out the cheque book again and sign another player who will sell loads of jerseys in order to appease the fans once more.

Wasn't Moyes Fergie's parting gift??

Probably but the point still remains the same. Woodward measures success in terms of the share price, that is his remit.

Exactly and until someon comes to reinforce that this is a football club and no-one cares about app sales then this will go on and on.

I'm pretty sure the owners care about app sales. . . what is this delusion with Man Utd being a football club and not a business? Business has taken over sport and while United were winning things they built their brand so that it can still be strong even when the football isn't. Woodwards job is to make cash and he's very good at that.

Once United have a barren few years and stop gaining the young supporters who jump on the bandwagon because they were winning they I think you'll see a focus put back on the football side of things.

Fans have no power anymore . . . the Glazers are Manchester United now and while they make money they won't care too much about success!!!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: screenexile on September 26, 2018, 12:48:51 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on September 26, 2018, 11:35:34 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 26, 2018, 11:26:47 AM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on September 26, 2018, 11:12:57 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 26, 2018, 10:58:57 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 25, 2018, 10:12:27 PM
That’s the best result for Utd, Jose will be out by Xmas at this rate, I think he’ll walk rather than be pushed.. those set of players should take a good look at themselves tonight and be very embarrassed

Not a chance will he walk. Never done it in his previous jobs and he is unlikely to just waive his right to a £10-15m payoff. That is one area I wouldn't actually blame him on.

He deserves a large portion of the blame though since a lot of these players are under performing and he bought a good few of them. Morale seems to be at an all time low and there is a growing apathy among the supporters as to what is happening within the club. Meanwhile Woodward is doing a great job as far as the Glazers are concerned as the dollars continue to roll in. Even though he appointed the last 3 managers none of whom have lived up to expectations. At what point does he begin to get questioned or will he simply whip out the cheque book again and sign another player who will sell loads of jerseys in order to appease the fans once more.

Wasn't Moyes Fergie's parting gift??

Probably but the point still remains the same. Woodward measures success in terms of the share price, that is his remit.

Exactly and until someon comes to reinforce that this is a football club and no-one cares about app sales then this will go on and on.

I'm pretty sure the owners care about app sales. . . what is this delusion with Man Utd being a football club and not a business? Business has taken over sport and while United were winning things they built their brand so that it can still be strong even when the football isn't. Woodwards job is to make cash and he's very good at that.

Once United have a barren few years and stop gaining the young supporters who jump on the bandwagon because they were winning they I think you'll see a focus put back on the football side of things.

Fans have no power anymore . . . the Glazers are Manchester United now and while they make money they won't care too much about success!!!
Woodward a business man is good at making money and should be left to that however the football side of things transfers, player and management contracts should be left to someone that has a clue at what they are doing. It was clear he had no idea when he rubber stamped the Moyes appointment and gave him a 5 year contract. That appointment alone shook the foundations of the club and sent them back to the mid 80s

What you have now is Manchester United already going through their barren years. This will be the sixth year without a league title and haven't even mounted a title challenge since Ferguson left.

thewobbler

Problem here is that Moyes was Fergie's choice. If you can't trust the opinion of the club's most successful manager, therefore greatest "football man", who the f**k should you turn to?

Maroon Manc

Any reds on here think we're good enough to win the league with what we've got?

NAG1

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 26, 2018, 02:42:05 PM

I think we are good enough to compete, do I think they could win it probably not, we are short at the back to be consistent enough. Going forward we should be a match for any of the top six.

That is with a coach obviously getting the best out of the squad.

TabClear

Not a united fan but in my view United "should" be competing for the league and the reason they are not is largely down to the manager.

They have the best keeper in the league, bar none.  From midfield onwards six from Matic, Sanchez, Lukaku, Pogba, Rashford, Martial, Fellani, Mata, Lingaard should be competing at the very top level. Yes the defense is not good enough but Jose spent big money on players  (and could have spent more) and they have not delivered. Added to that the midfield/attacking players I listed, almost to a man are a shadow of the players they were at previous clubs. In my opinion that is not a coincidence and is because of Mourhino's playing style (and unwillingness to change it because he knows better than everyone else  ::)) and his poor man management. I agree that several of the players are not covering themselves in glory with their attitude but JOse's willingness to throw them under the bus to deflect blame from himself/his tactics is staggering. Phil Jones was the latest to get it last night.

Boycey

No..

Potentially some very good players in Uniteds squad, actually its not a squad there are too many square pegs in round holes. Its essentially a collection of individuals. The defence in particular the full backs Young and Valencia aren't good enough going forward, United have no width in midfield so the full backs are extremely important. Shaw and Dalot show improved potential in this area though.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: thewobbler on September 26, 2018, 02:04:46 PM
Problem here is that Moyes was Fergie's choice. If you can't trust the opinion of the club's most successful manager, therefore greatest "football man", who the f**k should you turn to?
Ferguson had some bad choices over the years Bebe,Djemba Djemba,Obertan,Taibi to name but a few and when he talked about retirement the first time his choice of replacement was Alex Mcleish.

yellowcard

It beggars belief that Mourinho is still living in a hotel room over 2 years after stepping into the job. I don't think anybody ever expected him to be here for any longer than 3/4 years but it looks like a race between him and Pogba now as to which leaves first. Quite frankly I'm not bothered if they both but the longer this saga gets protracted out the more collateral damage will be caused in terms of dressing room splits etc.

magpie seanie

Honestly, you need to start facing up to the fact that United are going nowhere with this manager. United have won the league with several less talented squads and there's absolutely no way anyone can argue that the best is being got out of the players at the club at the moment. It's time for this blind loyalty to stop.

trailer

A complete red out needed. Manager and players. This looks like history repeating itself. When Busby left Utd veered from shit team to shit team for 20 years.
Jose has to go. Regardless if he's good enough or not, his conduct is not befitting of a manager of Manchester United.

magpie seanie

I say yes. I believe there is only one squad in the league who has more talent and that's City and i've a feeling they won't win it this time. This time last year no one would have argued Liverpool had a better squad. They've made I think two important signings since, Van Dijk and the keeper. United have probably spent more on Sanchez, Dalot, Fred. However, several of their players have improved hugely under the managment of Klopp. Not one United player has improved in that time.