10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

restorepride

Quote from: Dire Ear on September 19, 2017, 09:58:22 AM
Quote from: cornerback on September 18, 2017, 10:41:41 PM
Quote from: Mountain Gael on September 18, 2017, 10:14:50 PM
Sorry,but how was he able to lift his head and pick out a foot pass if he was being harrassed and tackled so well

Probably because he's David Clifford!!
Are the 2 Cliffords related?

They are from different clubs according to the programme, if that helps? It didn't help Derry!

greenlight

Quote from: toby47 on September 19, 2017, 12:48:31 PM
Quote from: Derry Optimist on September 19, 2017, 12:13:06 PM
After the steep learning curve of the disappointment of Derry's comprehensive   All Ireland Minor defeat, no doubt Damian McErlain and his management team will have realised the futility of persisting with a game plan which does not include the presence of a sweeper or the concept of a top player(albeit a phenomenally physically developed and extraordinarily talented individual in the case of David Clifford) being double - marked in the modern game.

That said and that harsh lesson undoubtedly learned I have no doubt that both Damian and his Minor players will bounce back  to replicate the magnificent individual and team performances that they have cumulatively given over the course of the last three years.The talent both on and off the field is definitely there.Their biggest tactical challenge is to learn from the mistakes of the past and to adapt accordingly.

Players like Conor McCluskey,Oisin and Lorcan McWilliams,Callum Brown,Declan Cassidy( surprisingly not given much game time during the minor campaign),Paddy Quigg and Padraig McGrogan are only some of the players from this year's minor squad who have the ability to develop into top class Senior inter county players.Others when they develop physically have the skill sets to join them.

So despite the mistakes of last Sunday Damian McErlain has  restored pride and confidence in Derry football again.Everyone will wish him well as he attempts  to ensure that all the best players will be available for inter county Senior duty when he announces his new panel in the coming weeks.

By the way  does anyone know when  the County Board will announce the management teams for Derry's U17 and U20 teams for next year?

Any idea who could get these jobs?

Seamus Downey has done great work with Lavey underage and should surely be considered.

Rawhide

Quote from: greenlight on September 20, 2017, 11:20:34 AM
After the steep learning curve of the disappointment of Derry's comprehensive   All Ireland Minor defeat, no doubt Damian McErlain and his management team will have realised the futility of persisting with a game plan which does not include the presence of a sweeper or the concept of a top player(albeit a phenomenally physically developed and extraordinarily talented individual in the case of David Clifford) being double - marked in the modern game.

That said and that harsh lesson undoubtedly learned I have no doubt that both Damian and his Minor players will bounce back  to replicate the magnificent individual and team performances that they have cumulatively given over the course of the last three years.The talent both on and off the field is definitely there.Their biggest tactical challenge is to learn from the mistakes of the past and to adapt accordingly.

Players like Conor McCluskey,Oisin and Lorcan McWilliams,Callum Brown,Declan Cassidy( surprisingly not given much game time during the minor campaign),Paddy Quigg and Padraig McGrogan are only some of the players from this year's minor squad who have the ability to develop into top class Senior inter county players.Others when they develop physically have the skill sets to join them.

So despite the mistakes of last Sunday Damian McErlain has  restored pride and confidence in Derry football again.Everyone will wish him well as he attempts  to ensure that all the best players will be available for inter county Senior duty when he announces his new panel in the coming weeks.

By the way  does anyone know when  the County Board will announce the management teams for Derry's U17 and U20 teams for next year?

Seamus Downey has done great work with Lavey underage and should surely be considered.

would a Magherafelt player go near it if that was the case, and I am not trying to be smart either.
cccc is a true supporter lol

toby47

Quote from: Rawhide on September 20, 2017, 11:45:46 AM

would a Magherafelt player go near it if that was the case, and I am not trying to be smart either.

It would be bad form for Magherafelt player to turn down the chance to represent their county because the manager of a rival is taking the team. That sort of bickering should be left at club level.

On a side note - Enda Quinn (Magherafelt's main underage manager the past 4/5 years) has won twice what Seamus Downey has won at underage level the past few years. Saying that he seems to stick to the u12-16 age groups as I don't recall him taking a minor team? Open to correction though

Rawhide

Quote from: toby47 on September 20, 2017, 11:55:59 AM

It would be bad form for Magherafelt player to turn down the chance to represent their county because the manager of a rival is taking the team. That sort of bickering should be left at club level.

On a side note - Enda Quinn (Magherafelt's main underage manager the past 4/5 years) has won twice what Seamus Downey has won at underage level the past few years. Saying that he seems to stick to the u12-16 age groups as I don't recall him taking a minor team? Open to correction though

Would you describe it as bickering, has it not moved beyond that? Total disrespect is a more accurate description?
cccc is a true supporter lol

toby47

Quote from: Rawhide on September 20, 2017, 12:17:13 PM

Would you describe it as bickering, has it not moved beyond that? Total disrespect is a more accurate description?

Magherafelt and Lavey seem to be forming a rivalry from underage up, however if it would be the wrong stance to take to not play for your county because Seamus Downey is in charge. Whether it be bickering, fighting, disrespect or whatever you want to call it

Uncle Phil

Quote from: toby47 on September 20, 2017, 12:29:17 PM
Quote from: Rawhide on September 20, 2017, 12:17:13 PM

Magherafelt and Lavey seem to be forming a rivalry from underage up, however if it would be the wrong stance to take to not play for your county because Seamus Downey is in charge. Whether it be bickering, fighting, disrespect or whatever you want to call it

What's the beef between Lavey and Magherafelt about?

uimhr ocht

Bellaghy won u14 championship the last 2 years I think,Lavey won the u16 this year and mfelt have won feile titles so all healthy competitive rivalry.

tonesfirstandlast

Typical townies. Fill the togs when it comes to the championship

toby47

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on September 20, 2017, 10:50:39 PM
Typical townies. Fill the togs when it comes to the championship

Wasn't too long ago Bellaghy celebrated nothing other than a senior championship. Suppose after a barren spell beggers cant be choosers and u14 championships will do

cornerback

So do Screen have any chance on Sunday? We are certainly up against it but we'll have to perform to our absolute maximum.

We need a similar performance to the first half against Coleraine & will probably need a couple of goals to win.

Chrissy McKaigue probably needs to be man-marked. He is currently their only genuine top notch player (i.e. he would make most/all county teams) but they have a plethora of quality throughout the team.

The defensive set up doesn't work against Slaughtneil, they've shown time & time again that they have the patience & quality to counteract it & eke out the win.

Hoping for a good game.... or I'd even take a miserable game with a Screen victory 😜

the half-time show

Quote from: cornerback on September 21, 2017, 11:21:44 AM
So do Screen have any chance on Sunday? We are certainly up against it but we'll have to perform to our absolute maximum.
Of course they have a chance albeit a small one in my opinion.  Bookies have it over 3-1 for Screen which I'd agree with

We need a similar performance to the first half against Coleraine & will probably need a couple of goals to win.
I'd say the opposite; keeping a clean sheet against Slaughtneil is more important as they are extremely difficult to beat once they're able to get a few points ahead.  They tend to get goals at crucial times so being able to prevent this is imperative if Screen are to see the game out

Chrissy McKaigue probably needs to be man-marked. He is currently their only genuine top notch player (i.e. he would make most/all county teams) but they have a plethora of quality throughout the team.
Agreed that he is their strongest player but they have several men that can carry from deep and get on the end of scores.  Not necessarily man marked but forwards need to be well aware of tracking their men as they go up the field

The defensive set up doesn't work against Slaughtneil, they've shown time & time again that they have the patience & quality to counteract it & eke out the win.
The real difference in the possession game that Slaughtneil play compared to other teams is in their ability to win the free in a scorable area

Hoping for a good game.... or I'd even take a miserable game with a Screen victory 😜
It's only my opinion but Screen won't win a good quality game against Slaughtneil.  I'd expect a fairly dour affair, but as with all finals it's only the result that matters

southderryman

Lads is it a double header at Celtic park on Sunday?

I've checked online and in the Irish news and can only see the senior game down for 3.30

I know it's usually a double header and I see the programme has the intermediate teams on it too but I can't see the fixture listed anywhere?

Low and Hard

Quote from: southderryman on September 22, 2017, 03:06:36 PM

I've checked online and in the Irish news and can only see the senior game down for 3.30

I know it's usually a double header and I see the programme has the intermediate teams on it too but I can't see the fixture listed anywhere?

Ballinderry and Callan Gaels play in the minor B2 final before.

lenny

Quote from: Low and Hard on September 22, 2017, 03:22:14 PM
Quote from: southderryman on September 22, 2017, 03:06:36 PM

Ballinderry and Callan Gaels play in the minor B2 final before.

Callan Gaels? Where's that?