Youngest GAA Club?

Started by LilyWhiteAllright, December 19, 2006, 08:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilyWhiteAllright

wondering who's the youngest GAA club, and what ones are doing very well despite not being goin long. In Kildare for example Confey are only around since 1989 but got to the senior hurling final, won the leinster ifc and have a strong underage...

bailestil

We (Steelstown) were formed in 1987, however only entered Senior football proper in 1996, before then it was a series of underage teams.

Underage teams have competed in County Finals at all levels, U14- Minor.
With seniors recently promoted to Intermediate.
And we opened a new £600,000 clubhouse, at our pitch this year in Derry City. Not easyily achieved in an urban area.

Other Young Teams that spring to mind, are Naomh Bhrid of belfast who seem to be shooting up the ranks in Antrim.

In Derry the only younger team than us are Doire Transa who were formed in the Waterside area by former sean dolans members. They have been pretty succesful at underage too in North Derry.

ONeill

Naomh Colmcille (East Tyrone) formed around 1993.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

youbetterbelieveit

Milford in Limerick, they were only formed in about 2002/2003. had some success underage and there mens junior b team are starting to win a few games  these days i think.

The Bottom Brick

Fergal O Hanlons in Monaghan town
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

Fionntamhnach

In Tyrone it'll be my home hurling club, Setanta, whom formed in 2004. However another one, possibly two new hurling clubs may be on the horizon in the county.

Gnevin

There is or meant to be 5  new clubs formed in dublin every year castleknock seems to be the most high profile
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

aontroim

St. Brigid's Belfast - est 1998 as a Juvenile Club.  Adult teams started playing in League and C'ship in 2004 i think and in first season Won the JFC and Div 4 league, then this season won Div 3 league and IFC.

Massive numbers and well run club (now that it is finally fashionable to play Gaelic Games in S. Belfast!) and have just started develping a new pitch / pavillion complex at Musgrave Park.

Also Cumann na Fuiseoige were only formed in 2004 as Juvenile and started adult competition in 2006.

Mid Mon

Taken from the Fergal O Hanlons (Monaghan town) web site.

QuoteHistoric First Win for our Senior Team

Last Wednesday night we returned to the South Monaghan setting of our first ever game when we took on the Killanny Geraldines in a Rice's Coaches league decider. It was a warm sunny evening and the Killanny pitch was looking better than ever.
After approximately 30 games of close encounters , heavy defeats and harsh footballing lessons meted out to us we finally emerged with a hard fought victory against a very determined Killanny outfit. It was a good old fashioned bruising encounter which all Junior Footballers are well accustomed to and we got off to a great start with four points scored from play from D McKenna, G Bolton and W Cawley to head into a 0-01 0-04 lead. Although Killanny got back into the game midway through the first half with a few well pointed frees and shots to lead 0-06 0-04 heading into the break. We refocused ourselves and emerged in the 2nd half gaining the upper hand with 2 cracking goals from big Enda O'Leary to put us firmly in the driving seat.

Killanny tried hard to get back into the game and pulled back a few points to set up a very tense finish but the lads held on register what we hope will be the first of many victories.

Credit must go to all our mentors and committee members for all their hard work this past three years and especially to all the players young and not so young who have finally sampled the sweet taste of victory.

The fabulous new community centre overlooking the Killanny pitch is a credit to all involved and points to a very bright future for the Geraldines. We are sure to have some great encounters over the next few years and look forward to hosting the Geraldines at our own pitch in the not too distant future.

They were founded in 2003 and compete against the other juniors clubs reserve teams. They went on to win 2 more games this year and for the first time did not finish bottom of the table.

I personally wish them every success and hope they can promote Gaelic games in our county town as the harps are struggling with competition from other codes and have been yo-yoing between junior and intermediate in recent years

lynchbhoy

In Dublin St. Thomas's Castleknock are only in existence from around 1998
They were only a juvenile team for the first year or two as far as I know

Another club in that area 'westmanstown gaels' are only after forming in the last year or two.
Just for kids right now.

tayto

Yea, Castleknock are the most obvious, something like 600-800 members already, just going to prove the potential for new clubs in Dublin.

reiteoir

Gan amhras is e Cumann Laochra Loch Lao CLG, an cumann is uire fud fad na hEireann. Bunaiodh an Cumann seo cupla la o shin le freastal ar phobal na Gaeilge i mBeal Feirste agus guitear gach rath air

umgolaarmagh

The Ballycrummy 5 GFC Armagh - Formed last march in the changing rooms of Ballycrummy

dubnut

Northside Gaels in Dublin are only going about 2 or 3 years.

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: umgolaarmagh on December 20, 2006, 10:36:18 AM
The Ballycrummy 5 GFC Armagh - Formed last march in the changing rooms of Ballycrummy

i hear the membership numbers are increasing