Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Winter bikes have always been and always will be.

Easier set up for mudguards, additional frame clearance, wider tyres etc. Some racing machines you could not wedge a match stick between the frame and the rear wheel.

thebigfella

Quote from: maddog on May 28, 2020, 03:25:33 PM

Easier set up for mudguards, additional frame clearance, wider tyres etc. Some racing machines you could not wedge a match stick between the frame and the rear wheel.

Is that so? From my experience it's a fairly new phenomenon since cycling has become popular in the last 10/15 years.

I've winter wheels for handiness and because I upgraded (and got rid of most of my bikes). In reality I couldn't care less about components wearing out quicker - it just gives me an excuse to upgrade. It's not like the bike dissolves into a mess come spring time and everything has to be replaced anyway. You never hear of mountain bikers having bikes for nice weather etc.... they get out and enjoy it.

Also I am aware that the correct number of bikes to own is n+1 (n being the current number you own).

Eamonnca1

Winter bikes have been a thing for as long as I can remember. Racing boys often use a fixed wheel in the winter time to build their legs up. Stick a fixed wheel on an old frame with the 45 degree dropouts so you can put tension on the chain, and add mudguards so you don't muck up your mates.

maddog

Quote from: thebigfella on May 28, 2020, 03:47:22 PM

Is that so? From my experience it's a fairly new phenomenon since cycling has become popular in the last 10/15 years.

I've winter wheels for handiness and because I upgraded (and got rid of most of my bikes). In reality I couldn't care less about components wearing out quicker - it just gives me an excuse to upgrade. It's not like the bike dissolves into a mess come spring time and everything has to be replaced anyway. You never hear of mountain bikers having bikes for nice weather etc.... they get out and enjoy it.

Also I am away that the correct number of bikes to own is n+1 (n being the current number you own).

When i started with the local club in 1985 you want to have seen what passed for a winter bike then. Usually a proper heap, often fixed wheel. 

thebigfella

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 28, 2020, 04:01:15 PM
Winter bikes have been a thing for as long as I can remember. Racing boys often use a fixed wheel in the winter time to build their legs up. Stick a fixed wheel on an old frame with the 45 degree dropouts so you can put tension on the chain, and add mudguards so you don't muck up your mates.

That's not what I would call a winter bike - that's just using a different bike for specific type of training  ::)

Eamonnca1

Quote from: maddog on May 28, 2020, 04:16:49 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on May 28, 2020, 03:47:22 PM

Also I am away that the correct number of bikes to own is n+1 (n being the current number you own).

When i started with the local club in 1985 you want to have seen what passed for a winter bike then. Usually a proper heap, often fixed wheel.

Yup. Nothing fancy, just an old frame with whatever parts you could scrape together from the shed. Good times.

redzone

What sort of wheels yous all using. Got to be worth a 2/3mph extra

illdecide

Quote from: redzone on May 29, 2020, 10:28:47 AM

Fulcrum Racing Zero steel wheels & Roval carbon carbon wheels. Dunno about 3mph but it would put 1.5mph anyway on a good set of wheels
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

majestic

Just pulled the road bike outta the garage for the first time in 18months. Front break lever has absolutely no tension. Do we think its just the cables or would the fluid have leaked?

maddog

Quote from: majestic on May 29, 2020, 02:33:17 PM
Just pulled the road bike outta the garage for the first time in 18months. Front break lever has absolutely no tension. Do we think its just the cables or would the fluid have leaked?

Hydraulic brake. Try pumping it repeatedly. That happens on my mountain bike if not used for a bit.

majestic

Quote from: maddog on May 29, 2020, 02:35:48 PM
Quote from: majestic on May 29, 2020, 02:33:17 PM

Hydraulic brake. Try pumping it repeatedly. That happens on my mountain bike if not used for a bit.

Just tried, nothing happening. Noticed it was moving the pads slightly, and poked about about there was a yellowish fluid, I'm assuming that is not good news.

redzone

Quote from: illdecide on May 29, 2020, 12:37:02 PM

Fulcrum Racing Zero steel wheels & Roval carbon carbon wheels. Dunno about 3mph but it would put 1.5mph anyway on a good set of wheels
Any difference in performance of the two wheels, or is just cosmetic purposes you have the rovals.

illdecide

Quote from: redzone on May 29, 2020, 03:21:43 PM
Quote from: illdecide on May 29, 2020, 12:37:02 PM

Any difference in performance of the two wheels, or is just cosmetic purposes you have the rovals.

Roval wheels came with the bike so didn't buy them individually. Performance wise it's hard to say, if i put my hand up for the price i'd say the Fulcrum Racing Zero wheels are as good for that money as you'd get. Obviously they're two year old and prob a newer model out but i think they're the dogs...Carbon wheels seem ok but wouldn't rave about them they way i would with the Fulcrums (value for money terms). Cosmetic purposes yes the Roval wheels look better but as stated they came standard with the bike.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

bennydorano

I had alloy Zeros a few years ago and got shot of them after about 4 months, nothing but bother with them, similarly I had Fulcrum 3s - shite as well, yet i love Fulcrum Quattros. Best wheels I've had to date are Bontrager Aelous 6 full carbon 50mm, came on my Trek Slr6, class wheel, unfortunately I got wrote of in a race last year and the back one was wrecked.

maddog

Mavic aksiums for me. I'm not interested in speed so much, more durability and reliability. Have them on both road bikes and so far so good. Roads here are shite as well so there is that to consider.