GAA clubs named after Republican figures

Started by BennyCake, October 05, 2016, 05:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

5 Sams

Quote from: Samforever on October 05, 2016, 08:35:28 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on October 05, 2016, 08:26:17 PM
DOWN

RGU Downpatrick -Russell Gaelic Union. The Man From God Knows where - Thomas Russell
Glenn John Martins
Newry Mitchels

Have I missed any? Down lads??

Kilcoo? Eoghan Rua ?

Yep!
The Aristocrat Years

AZOffaly

Kerry would have John Mitchells, Kerins O'Rahillys and Dromid Pearses.  Tipperary has Kilruane McDonagh's and Sean Treacys. Newport's pitch is Lacken Park after Paddy Ryan Lacken who ran with Dan Breen for a bit. Limerick has a few like na Piarsaigh. Clare have Wolfe Tones. Off the top of my head.

5 Sams

Same exercise could be done with grounds named after rebels/patriots/revolutionaries/etc.

Pearse would have quite a few grounds named after him. Casement...two in Antrim
The Aristocrat Years

mrhardyannual

Quote from: BennyCake on October 05, 2016, 08:10:33 PM
Quote from: general_lee on October 05, 2016, 06:03:31 PM
Thomas Davis - Corringshego
Michael Davitt - Ballyhegan
Patrick Pearse - Pearse Óg

Had thought Davitt was more of a political figure with the Land League.

As would most people. However his involvement with the Fenians dated to 1865 when he joined the IRB. Two years later he was a full time organiser in the north of England. He was involved in the arms raid on Chester Castle in Feb 1867 and eventually arrested in 1870 as he was organising the delivery of arm. Sentenced to 15 years hard labour, he served 7 and a half. On his release he became a member of the Supreme Council of the IRB.
While the rest of his life was given to the agrarian revolution it was always felt that it was his standing in the eyes of the "physical force" brigade that allowed the Land League and Home Rule movements progress with the support of republicans at home and in the USA. He famously bailed out the GAA  with a loan of £450 (modern value in excess of €250,000) which was never repaid despite his being declared bankrupt in 1903. He was well connected with the emerging labour movement in Britain, an ardent supporter of non-denominational school and an internationalist who wrote comprehensively on the mal-treatment of Boers, Maoris etc in the British Empire.

muppet

Quote from: mrhardyannual on October 05, 2016, 09:49:45 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 05, 2016, 08:10:33 PM
Quote from: general_lee on October 05, 2016, 06:03:31 PM
Thomas Davis - Corringshego
Michael Davitt - Ballyhegan
Patrick Pearse - Pearse Óg

Had thought Davitt was more of a political figure with the Land League.

As would most people. However his involvement with the Fenians dated to 1865 when he joined the IRB. Two years later he was a full time organiser in the north of England. He was involved in the arms raid on Chester Castle in Feb 1867 and eventually arrested in 1870 as he was organising the delivery of arm. Sentenced to 15 years hard labour, he served 7 and a half. On his release he became a member of the Supreme Council of the IRB.
While the rest of his life was given to the agrarian revolution it was always felt that it was his standing in the eyes of the "physical force" brigade that allowed the Land League and Home Rule movements progress with the support of republicans at home and in the USA. He famously bailed out the GAA  with a loan of £450 (modern value in excess of €250,000) which was never repaid despite his being declared bankrupt in 1903. He was well connected with the emerging labour movement in Britain, an ardent supporter of non-denominational school and an internationalist who wrote comprehensively on the mal-treatment of Boers, Maoris etc in the British Empire.

But Davitt rejected violence while in prison.
MWWSI 2017

Owenmoresider

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 05, 2016, 09:22:08 PM
Kerry would have John Mitchells, Kerins O'Rahillys and Dromid Pearses.  Tipperary has Kilruane McDonagh's and Sean Treacys. Newport's pitch is Lacken Park after Paddy Ryan Lacken who ran with Dan Breen for a bit. Limerick has a few like na Piarsaigh. Clare have Wolfe Tones. Off the top of my head.
JK Brackens in Templemore? Thurles Sarsfields from prior times also. MacDonagh has the pitches in both Cloughjordan and Nenagh named after him too.

None in Sligo, other than a flurry of Saints and Gaels no clubs here generally go for added names to the area name. Our own went by John Mitchels for a bit in the 70's but nothing besides.

macdanger2

Mayo:

Ballina Stephenites
Charlestown Sarsfields
I presume Castlebar Mitchells are named after John Mitchell?

If you count Davitt then Davitts and Moy Davitts

general_lee

Henry Joy McCracken - Moneymore (and Belfast?)

keep her low this half

Antrim, off the top of my head -

O Donovan Rossa
Sarsfiields
Davitts
Pearses
Mitchels - all Belfast

Robert Emmetts Cushendun
Roger Casements Portglenone
Shane O Neills Glenarm if Gaelic Chieftans count?
McQuillans Ballycastle, more Gaelic Chieftans

general_lee

Can anyone tell me why so many down clubs aren't named after anyone at all?

5 Sams

Quote from: general_lee on October 05, 2016, 11:09:58 PM
Can anyone tell me why so many down clubs aren't named after anyone at all?

A lot of them are named after Saints....does that not count...Bosco, St Johns, Burren, Mayobridge, St Pauls, St Michaels, Glasdrumman, Darragh Cross, Drumgath, Drumaness, Cumann Peadar Naofa, Castlewellan, Ballymartin, Ballycran. Whats your point??
The Aristocrat Years

Owenmoresider

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 05, 2016, 10:43:27 PM
Mayo:

Ballina Stephenites
Charlestown Sarsfields
I presume Castlebar Mitchells are named after John Mitchell?

If you count Davitt then Davitts and Moy Davitts
Ardnaree Sarsfields too.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Owenmoresider