Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pub Bore

I do a bit of cycling but there's no excuse for cnuts in vests, shorts and trainers flying along the pavement on mountain bikes.

GJL

Quote from: Pub Bore on May 04, 2020, 12:26:50 PM
I do a bit of cycling but there's no excuse for cnuts in vests, shorts and trainers flying along the pavement on mountain bikes.

Well that was a useful contribution.  ::)

laoislad

Quote from: on the sideline on May 04, 2020, 10:19:14 AM
Hi fellas, would any of you recommend a good, reliable and secure mounted phone holder for a bike?
It's a mountain bike but only used on roads at the minute. Looking something strong that could also be used when I get back onto the trails. Thanks.
Quad lock?

https://www.quadlockcase.eu/
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

on the sideline

Quote from: laoislad on May 04, 2020, 01:40:02 PM
Quote from: on the sideline on May 04, 2020, 10:19:14 AM
Hi fellas, would any of you recommend a good, reliable and secure mounted phone holder for a bike?
It's a mountain bike but only used on roads at the minute. Looking something strong that could also be used when I get back onto the trails. Thanks.
Quad lock?

https://www.quadlockcase.eu/

Good man. Thanks.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Sportacus on May 03, 2020, 03:44:53 PM
When I'm driving, cyclists go two wide and I have to pull out.  When I'm walking in two's they'd cycle  over the top of you.  Which is it?

That old chestnut again? You also have to pull out when they're riding single file. Riding abreast makes it easier to get past because it shortens the group. It's not the width of the group that makes it hard to get past, it's the length.

Eamonnca1

Great article by Kelly. I haven't had a computer on my bike for years and I can't say I miss it. I remember being obsessed with my average and feeling disappointed after some rides. Nowadays I just get the wind in my face and enjoy it.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 04, 2020, 06:45:20 PM
When I'm driving, cyclists go two wide and I have to pull out.  When I'm walking in two's they'd cycle  over the top of you.  Which is it?

That old chestnut again? You also have to pull out when they're riding single file. Riding abreast makes it easier to get past because it shortens the group. It's not the width of the group that makes it hard to get past, it's the length.

Except you have to pull out further when cyclists are riding abreast, leaving a potential collision more likely.

What i find strange is that its more dangerous for everyone its exponentially so the cyclists so you would think they would want to ride safer so for them to deliberately create that situation is somewhat mind boggling.

Taylor

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 04, 2020, 07:03:12 PM

Except you have to pull out further when cyclists are riding abreast, leaving a potential collision more likely.

What i find strange is that its more dangerous for everyone its exponentially so the cyclists so you would think they would want to ride safer so for them to deliberately create that situation is somewhat mind boggling.

Or even three abreast on the country roads.

How the feck anyone can think this is safer is baffling

illdecide

I think the biggest problem we face here is ignorance...in Europe you can cycle anywhere and it's very rare for motorists to hoot the horn or try to clip you with their wing mirrors but here it's like "i'll put manners in them feckers" attitude. Cycling is getting more popular and all the motorists that are in their rush to get where they're going will have to adopt, cyclists have the same right to be on the road as any other vehicle so deal with it.
If you're driving behind a tractor you won't try to clip him with your wing mirror to learn them manners but you're prepared to do it to cyclists...Form of bullying TBH. The culture is here to stay so we'll have to adopt and learn to be more patient and pass cyclists when it is safe to do so, if your journey takes you an extra 15 seconds it'll hardly destroy your day.
For every bad cyclist there's a bad motorist but hopefully both with catch themselves on and learn to respect each other...when cyclists are in a group they should pull over when it's safe to do so and let the queue of traffic pass, cars should give cyclists the room and space to pass when it is safe to do so...It's all about safety folks, no cyclist wants to get hurt and no motorist wants to have to go to some home and tell the wife and kids that i've just knocked your husband/father off the bike and he's on his way to hospital (or worse leaving a wreath at the house).

So the next time you're passing a bike slow down and have a gawk at the bike and admire the fine piece of engineering.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Eamonnca1

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 04, 2020, 07:03:12 PM

Riders riding single file: You have to cross the centre line to get past them, crossing within the lane is too dangerous because it doesn't leave enough room. So you have to wait for a gap in oncoming traffic before you can overtake.

Riders riding abreast: You have to cross the centre line to get past them, crossing within the lane is too dangerous because it doesn't leave enough room. So you have to wait for a gap in oncoming traffic before you can overtake.

The only difference is the length of the group, and a wider but short group is easier to get past because you don't need such a long gap in oncoming traffic.

Eamonnca1

Eamonnca1

The authorities even recommend riding two abreast because it's safer. Riding single in the gutter is more dangerous because it encourages unsafe close passes. I gave up riding in the gutter years ago, I had far too many close calls with motorists who thought it was okay to buzz me to within a millimetre of my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NGdQDEkWCE

laoislad

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 04, 2020, 08:00:02 PM

Typical cyclists on the wrong side of the road...
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Sportacus

Quote from: illdecide on May 04, 2020, 07:30:04 PM
I think the biggest problem we face here is ignorance...in Europe you can cycle anywhere and it's very rare for motorists to hoot the horn or try to clip you with their wing mirrors but here it's like "i'll put manners in them feckers" attitude. Cycling is getting more popular and all the motorists that are in their rush to get where they're going will have to adopt, cyclists have the same right to be on the road as any other vehicle so deal with it.
If you're driving behind a tractor you won't try to clip him with your wing mirror to learn them manners but you're prepared to do it to cyclists...Form of bullying TBH. The culture is here to stay so we'll have to adopt and learn to be more patient and pass cyclists when it is safe to do so, if your journey takes you an extra 15 seconds it'll hardly destroy your day.
For every bad cyclist there's a bad motorist but hopefully both with catch themselves on and learn to respect each other...when cyclists are in a group they should pull over when it's safe to do so and let the queue of traffic pass, cars should give cyclists the room and space to pass when it is safe to do so...It's all about safety folks, no cyclist wants to get hurt and no motorist wants to have to go to some home and tell the wife and kids that i've just knocked your husband/father off the bike and he's on his way to hospital (or worse leaving a wreath at the house).

So the next time you're passing a bike slow down and have a gawk at the bike and admire the fine piece of engineering.
So next time you're cycling towards two pedestrians on a country road, slow down and give them a plenty wide berth.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: illdecide on May 04, 2020, 07:30:04 PM

Couldn't agree more. A coach driver once blew his horn at me and shook his head at me for stopping my bike at the side of the road to put a rain jacket on. The poor crater had to turn his steering wheel by a fraction of a degree to get past. There was no other traffic on the road, but to him this was an outrageous intrusion onto "his" road. Then a few yards later he moves out to get past a parked car at the side of the road that was five times as wide as me and he probably didn't bat an eyelid.

Bike stopped at the side of the road? Big problem. Car parked at the side of the road? No problem.

The attitude of drivers isn't so much about any perceived inconvenience to them. It's an attitude that people on bikes aren't legitimate road users. Being exposed in the open makes cyclists vulnerable to abuse, and being in a steel cage that's speeding past makes the drivers immune to any consequences of hassling someone on a bike. You wouldn't hassle someone to their face if you thought you were going to come face to face with them later, which is why I always notice drivers are a lot nicer to me when they're stuck in traffic.