Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Davitt Man on February 25, 2009, 03:01:52 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on February 25, 2009, 12:28:31 PM
Quote from: Davitt Man on February 25, 2009, 11:58:22 AM
Deel Rover, has Jimmy Nallen transfered to a Galway club, heard this over the weekend, is it true?

There was talk after the loss to ballaghadreen last year that Jimmy was going to transfer to a club in Galway allright and in fairness no one in the club would begrudge jimmy doing that as he is living and working in Gwalway and has giving his all for Cross down the years ,however with John Maughan in Charge this year every one assumed that Jimmy was going to give it One last push so i'll have to find out Davitt Man

Ya i was surprised when i heard it to especially when Maughan is board for the year, he will give it one last year and see how far they can go. Jimmy has been a serious club man down the years hardly ever missed a game.

Jimmy is definately playing with Cross this year Davitt man he played his 1st match of the year for us on sunday in a challenge match
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Lar Naparka

Quote from: the Deel Rover on March 04, 2009, 11:33:21 AM
Quote from: Davitt Man on February 25, 2009, 03:01:52 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on February 25, 2009, 12:28:31 PM
Quote from: Davitt Man on February 25, 2009, 11:58:22 AM
Deel Rover, has Jimmy Nallen transfered to a Galway club, heard this over the weekend, is it true?

There was talk after the loss to ballaghadreen last year that Jimmy was going to transfer to a club in Galway allright and in fairness no one in the club would begrudge jimmy doing that as he is living and working in Gwalway and has giving his all for Cross down the years ,however with John Maughan in Charge this year every one assumed that Jimmy was going to give it One last push so i'll have to find out Davitt Man

Ya i was surprised when i heard it to especially when Maughan is board for the year, he will give it one last year and see how far they can go. Jimmy has been a serious club man down the years hardly ever missed a game.

Jimmy is definately playing with Cross this year Davitt man he played his 1st match of the year for us on sunday in a challenge match
Janey Mac; he's some hell of a man!
He must be playing senior now for 14 or 15 years.
What age is he? I'd say he must be 35 at least  and still going strong.
Pity we don't have more like him. I suppose you could put Heaney in the same boat.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

RedandGreenSniper

You'll do well to find anyone with a bad word to say about Jimmy Nallen. A real legend. Won his first county title anyhow in 1995. I'm sure Deel will tell us if he had been playing for long before that.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

the Deel Rover

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 05, 2009, 01:26:58 PM
You'll do well to find anyone with a bad word to say about Jimmy Nallen. A real legend. Won his first county title anyhow in 1995. I'm sure Deel will tell us if he had been playing for long before that.

as far as i  can recall  Jimmy first played for cross around 1992 so he would have been around 19 he was definately there in 1993 when we lost the county semi final ( had about 8 18 year olds on that team) to a John Maughan led castlebar team who went on to the All Ireland Club Final that year , he is 36 now . Jimmy never played underage for mayo and only came to promince when he started playing senior for Cross he was just an average underage player ( hard to believe i know) but there were a lot of better lads on the team he was just a late developer but what a servant and what a man to have in your dressing room
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AbbeySider

Does anyone have the U21 team that took on Tyrone the last day?
I hear its in the Connaught Telegraph but I cant get it where I am....

StoneWall

From the Mayo News...

R Hennelly (Breaffy)
D Caffrey (Chralestown)
K Keane (Westport)
M Gallagher (Achill)
D Vaughan (Ballinrobe)
L Keegan (Westport)
P Feerick (Hollymount)
B Gallagher (Claremorris)
G McDonagh (Castlebar)
C Carolan (Crossmolina)
C Freeman (Aghamore)
B Lynskey (Swinford)
L Lydon (Kiltimagh)
C Jordan (Moy Davitts)
J Horan (Kilmovee)

Subs used: S Prendergast, M Sweeney, T Parsons, R Geraghty, J Doherty, O Reilly, N Douglas.

AbbeySider

Cheers for that StoneWall... Is there a link to the match report? I cant find it on the Mayonews website.

StoneWall

The kind hearted man I am I typed it in from the hard copy. That and a very slow day at work  ;D

AbbeySider

Quote from: StoneWall on March 05, 2009, 09:33:59 PM
The kind hearted man I am I typed it in from the hard copy. That and a very slow day at work  ;D

:o

Thanks for that StoneWall !  ;)

Barney

QuoteYou'll do well to find anyone with a bad word to say about Jimmy Nallen. A real legend. Won his first county title anyhow in 1995. I'm sure Deel will tell us if he had been playing for long before that.

Too right. Finest Mayo footballers of the modern era. A true legend.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Barney on March 06, 2009, 08:46:49 AM
QuoteYou'll do well to find anyone with a bad word to say about Jimmy Nallen. A real legend. Won his first county title anyhow in 1995. I'm sure Deel will tell us if he had been playing for long before that.

What a legend, and a true gent and a great role model.
For a player that was never blessed with panache or any wonderful skills, what made him so effective was making the right decisions and doing the little things right all the time. Also he had the knack of being in the right place at the right time. Thats something you cant really teach.

He was treated quite unfairly by the fans after the finals against Kerry in '04 and '06. People were a bit quick to blame him and say he was passed it, especially in '04.

I always felt he was left isolated by the attacking wing backs like Gardiner who was constantly out of position and couldnt get back on time when Kerry counter attacked. In the wide open spaces of Croke Park Kerry were left with too much room to run at Nallen. He didnt deserve the stick he got. Thats just my opinion though.

kevmy

Quote from: AbbeySider on March 06, 2009, 10:21:24 AM
Quote from: Barney on March 06, 2009, 08:46:49 AM

What a legend, and a true gent and a great role model.
For a player that was never blessed with panache or any wonderful skills, what made him so effective was making the right decisions and doing the little things right all the time. Also he had the knack of being in the right place at the right time. Thats something you cant really teach.

He was treated quite unfairly by the fans after the finals against Kerry in '04 and '06. People were a bit quick to blame him and say he was passed it, especially in '04.

I always felt he was left isolated by the attacking wing backs like Gardiner who was constantly out of position and couldnt get back on time when Kerry counter attacked. In the wide open spaces of Croke Park Kerry were left with too much room to run at Nallen. He didnt deserve the stick he got. Thats just my opinion though.

Thats true enough but the point remains a younger Nallen wouldn't have had the same problem. I don't think he should have started CB in 06 but thats another story. Either way all gave his all no matter where he was played

Norf Tyrone

Does anyone know who won the Connaught U20 ladies C final? Looking at the Connaught ladies website its says Swinford won the ladies C PPS senior final. Is that the same thing?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

RedandGreenSniper

The PPS competition would be the Post Primary Schools competition so that would be colleges senior C, which would be under 19. There wouldn't be an under 20 level afaik so I'd say that's the result you're looking for.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Norf Tyrone

Cheers red and green sniper.

I think Swinford play Holy Cross, Strabane in the AI semi final this week of that competition then. The first time Holy Cross have reached this stage.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone