New York v Ros 1st May.

Started by Rossfan, April 11, 2016, 08:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Stop. Sure he's gone pure giddy altogether since Saturday ;D
He couldn't care less about Ros now seeing as we couldn't bate NY (moral defeat) while the Rhus were winning an All Ireland.
He'll probably ditch Brigids as well now ;D

Missed the highlights tonight but was told our defending was total Junior B stuff.
To concede 17 points to a make up team it had to be.
No doubt we won't be as bad again but getting to the Connacht Final and avoiding a Rhubarb humiliation is the most we have to look forward to. :-\
Ah well Rome wasn't built in a day and the management did say it's a 4 year project.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Poor Syf gets too much 'abuse' is probably too strong a word for it here. He's a passionate character I'd say. Sometimes he wades in unecessarily rambling about Roscommn, but that's the way he is.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

INDIANA

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 02, 2016, 11:13:15 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on May 02, 2016, 11:02:41 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 02, 2016, 10:59:33 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on May 02, 2016, 10:36:50 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 02, 2016, 05:29:54 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on May 02, 2016, 05:05:46 PM
Last night's near-disaster for Roscommon should be a good thing in the long term because it will temper expectations about where they are really at. They are at least 3 years away from being at an AI Semi final stage unless they get the handiest draw ever through.

You can't make any excuses for nearly losing to a team with no match practice and literally cobbled together.

When Roscommon win 2-3 Connacht senior titles in quick succession they can then start talking about competing at the business end . Mayo people must look in bemusement at times in some of the Roscommon talk.

We actually don't! There is always a tough lesson around the corner from Roscommon! We've had many a fine team ambushed by a so called average Roscommon side! In 2001 when Mayo were League Champions and Galway went on to be AI Champions both were beaten in the Connacht Championship by the Rossies. I'd hold back on writing their obituary based on a game they won, be it only marginally, but they still won. League wise they have come a long way in a short period. There are going to be wobbly phases of course. But they are in a better place to 5 years ago.

Nobody has written any obituary. My fear for Roscommon has been they never annexed an AI Title from all these u21 teams at u21 level.

Similar to Cavan I believe that can get you to Div 1 but not any further unless you're winning these titles. Cavan have fallen short with 4 teams at AI Stage.

They have some excellent young players but I'm not sure they have enough yet.

Both Counties are working from a small base. They are both football mad and have a proud history. Yeah, I know they have not won AI titles, but at least they have done it consistently at Provincial level recently and that level of exposure has to count for something.

It'll get you so far. Winning an AI at u21 level is a sign that a group of players has real quality about it. So 2-3 players you get of an AI winning U21 team can really bolster a senior side as they are coming in as being the best in the country

Look Tyrone proved that underage titles from the late 90's and early '00 led onto Senior Ai's. On the other hand Kerry recent AI wins came from little or no under age so it's hard to know the connection.

You can't compare a county like Kerry where Gaelic Football is a religion to Roscommon. You're also inaccurate

They also won 3 AI u21 tiles 1995, 1996, 1998 which backboned the 97-08 teams. The were also beaten by westmeath in 1999 AI u21 Final.

Kerry did win an AI U21 with Tommy Walsh and a few others playing circa 2008. Which helped them win 2009.

they nicked one against the run of play in 2014. That's really the only one they've won with no underage success leading into it.

moysider

Quote from: Itchy on May 02, 2016, 11:16:10 PM
Last night's near-disaster for Roscommon should be a good thing in the long term because it will temper expectations about where they are really at. They are at least 3 years away from being at an AI Semi final stage unless they get the handiest draw ever through.

You can't make any excuses for nearly losing to a team with no match practice and literally cobbled together.

When Roscommon win 2-3 Connacht senior titles in quick succession they can then start talking about competing at the business end . Mayo people must look in bemusement at times in some of the Roscommon talk.

We actually don't! There is always a tough lesson around the corner from Roscommon! We've had many a fine team ambushed by a so called average Roscommon side! In 2001 when Mayo were League Champions and Galway went on to be AI Champions both were beaten in the Connacht Championship by the Rossies. I'd hold back on writing their obituary based on a game they won, be it only marginally, but they still won. League wise they have come a long way in a short period. There are going to be wobbly phases of course. But they are in a better place to 5 years ago.

Nobody has written any obituary. My fear for Roscommon has been they never annexed an AI Title from all these u21 teams at u21 level.

Similar to Cavan I believe that can get you to Div 1 but not any further unless you're winning these titles. Cavan have fallen short with 4 teams at AI Stage.

Both Counties are working from a small base. They are both football mad and have a proud history. Yeah, I know they have not won AI titles, but at least they have done it consistently at Provincial level recently and that level of exposure has to count for something.

It'll get you so far. Winning an AI at u21 level is a sign that a group of players has real quality about it. So 2-3 players you get of an AI winning U21 team can really bolster a senior side as they are coming in as being the best in the country

Galway on the other hand have won all Ireland's at underage and have made no senior break through. There is no formula that fits all

Exactly. Was just about to post something similar. Galway won last senior in 2001. Since then they've won 4 u21s without anybody really noticing - probably especially themselves! That's 4 out of the 5 they've ever won at U21. Yet their seniors arguably have been in decline slowly but incrementally since 2001. Doesn t add up. Or maybe it does? As we saw the last couple of weeks U21 is still a bit of a old style open game.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: moysider on May 03, 2016, 12:16:23 AM

Galway on the other hand have won all Ireland's at underage and have made no senior break through. There is no formula that fits all

Exactly. Was just about to post something similar. Galway won last senior in 2001. Since then they've won 4 u21s without anybody really noticing - probably especially themselves! That's 4 out of the 5 they've ever won at U21. Yet their seniors arguably have been in decline slowly but incrementally since 2001. Doesn t add up. Or maybe it does? As we saw the last couple of weeks U21 is still a bit of a old style open game.
Give me that style over modern senior football that is bogged down with systems and game plans resulting few enjoyable games.

moysider

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 03, 2016, 12:49:23 AM

Give me that style over modern senior football that is bogged down with systems and game plans resulting few enjoyable games.

Well me too. But there is no going back is there?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: moysider on May 03, 2016, 12:58:49 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 03, 2016, 12:49:23 AM

Well me too. But there is no going back is there?
Probably not and the mark next year is unlikely to improve the viewing.

Jinxy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 02, 2016, 11:46:12 PM
Poor Syf gets too much 'abuse' is probably too strong a word for it here. He's a passionate character I'd say. Sometimes he wades in unecessarily rambling about Roscommn, but that's the way he is.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

moysider

Quote from: Jinxy on May 03, 2016, 01:20:47 AM

Barber!! His own tatch is a bit iffy!

Rossfan

Quote from: moysider on May 03, 2016, 01:26:25 AM

And he goes to feck all games too. Just makes sure he's seen at the high profile ones. >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

Give the man a break, he has hair to cut.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Rossfan on May 03, 2016, 10:35:31 AM

And he goes to feck all games too. Just makes sure he's seen at the high profile ones. >:(

He's wasted in the salon so, should be in the Dáil with that ability in his locker.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on May 03, 2016, 10:35:31 AM

Did Paddy piss in your tea or something?

sligoman2

Really surprised that NY ran Roscommon so close.  I was going to go to the game but it was pissing rain and I figured it would be a blow out.
Very surprised with the result but would be wary of a wounded Roscommon team - probably the best thing that ever happened to them, at least they survived unlike us in London a few years ago.
Sligo won't be taking next year's trip to the big apple too nonchalantly after this.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

macdanger2

Loughlin and freeman looked good for NY. Where's loughlin from?