2016 All Ireland U-21 football championship

Started by Captain Obvious, February 22, 2016, 01:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 06, 2016, 03:35:58 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 05, 2016, 10:03:04 PM
Completely missing the point.
It's not acceptable.
I'm not on Twitter but I use it to follow sporting events in particular.
In a GAA context, I would estimate that 90-95% of the contributions are perfectly reasonable comments made by ordinary, decent people.
However, the remaining 5-10% of the contributions can range from the mean-spirited to the downright nasty.
Usually the worst comments are made by people who probably aren't in a great place in their own lives.
Often, they are said merely to provoke a response.
Twitter, as a platform, favours polarised viewpoints.
Everything is either brilliant or terrible.
One lad in particular was name-checked in Kieran Shannon's article as a 'troll'.
I had a look at his Twitter profile and it made for grim reading.
I came away feeling sorry for HIM.
Full of anger and venom about so many different things.
Can you tell me, how you would deal with this chap?
Appeal to his better nature, "Stop being mean to people online!" etc.
Either you develop a healthy sense of perspective, and recognise that a small minority of your fellow users are pathetic creatures craving attention, or you walk away from it altogether.
Nobody needs to be on social media.

I think the problem is a bit more complicated than that. The players in question tend to be in the late teens or early twenties and at this age, social networking is an essential part of their daily activities.They are still susceptible to peer pressure and being without the iPad the Android would feel only half dressed.
Asking someone to stay away from Facebook or Twitter because strangers are going to post hurtful, unwarranted comments about him is never going to work.
Mates being what they are will certainly mention any reference to him, especially critical ones. You can hardly expect any young fella to stay away from his Twitter account when people all around him are discussing him in his presence.
Apart from all of that, people in this age group would suffer withdrawal symptoms if their were without their tablet or smartphone for a single day as they network about lots of other things than football.

It's not though.
Anyway, if they want to immerse themselves in that world, best of luck to them.
The rest of us don't need to hear about every gobdaw who says something mean to them.
Pretty sure I said the same thing in the aftermath of the Paddy O'Rourke sending-off against Westmeath last year when he was getting dog's abuse on Twitter.
We're talking about men here, not boys.
Corinthians 11: 'When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.'
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jinxy on May 06, 2016, 08:38:30 PM
It's not acceptable.
In a GAA context, I would estimate that 90-95% of the contributions are perfectly reasonable comments made by ordinary, decent people.
However, the remaining 5-10% of the contributions can range from the mean-spirited to the downright nasty.
Usually the worst comments are made by people who probably aren't in a great place in their own lives.
One lad in particular was name-checked in Kieran Shannon's article as a 'troll'.
Either you develop a healthy sense of perspective, and recognise that a small minority of your fellow users are pathetic creatures craving attention, or you walk away from it altogether.

I think the problem is a bit more complicated than that. The players in question tend to be in the late teens or early twenties and at this age, social networking is an essential part of their daily activities.They are still susceptible to peer pressure and being without the iPad the Android would feel only half dressed.
Asking someone to stay away from Facebook or Twitter because strangers are going to post hurtful, unwarranted comments about him is never going to work.
Mates being what they are will certainly mention any reference to him, especially critical ones. You can hardly expect any young fella to stay away from his Twitter account when people all around him are discussing him in his presence.
Apart from all of that, people in this age group would suffer withdrawal symptoms if their were without their tablet or smartphone for a single day as they network about lots of other things than football.

It's not though.
The rest of us don't need to hear about every gobdaw who says something mean to them.
Pretty sure I said the same thing in the aftermath of the Paddy O'Rourke sending-off against Westmeath last year when he was getting dog's abuse on Twitter.
Corinthians 11: 'When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.'
Okay Jinxy, I know when I'm beaten...
Logic and Meath men make strange bedfellows.
Seems to me that you're saying that if players can't take scurrilous, ill-founded abuse from anonymous keyboard warriors, they should get to hell out of it and find something less stressful to do. Furthermore, players should keep away from social networking of any sort because if they don't read something, it won't upset them. And also that those who could be offended should ignore what is posted on Twitter, Facebook and the likes.
But before I retire, there's something you might care to comment on.
We have a prolific poster on this board, well-known for his dedication to his county.
He posts on a number of other fora also,  including one that is devoted mainly to discussions by fans of his own county. After a game in which his county team got well and truly tanked, he put up  a critical post and singled one player out for special abuse. He gave him a slating, saying that he wasn't up to county standard.
Net thing he knew, the player's father arrived on his doorstep in a very angry state of mind. (The Identity of the poster in question is well-known in his own area.)
The player in question was a third level student and was sitting his finals at the time.
He did not read the offending post but his friends were quick to tell him about. His nerves were badly shot already but he went to bits after hearing about this  and his father was very concerned for his state of mind so he went looking for the individual who criticised his son.
Now if you were in a position to decide what should be the outcome of this doorstep confrontation, what would your verdict be?
Would you tell the father to eff off as his son had no business paying attention to anything that was posted on the Internet?
Would you feel that the player in question was too soft for intercounty football and should pack it in forthwith?
Would you say that in the interests of Free Speech, it should be a case of publish and be damned and hard luck on whoever got upset?
Anyway the possibilities are endless and you may come up with some reaction that I haven't mentioned.
Maybe you'd care to enlighten me. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

PW Nally

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 07, 2016, 12:26:03 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 06, 2016, 08:38:30 PM
It's not acceptable.

It's not though.
Seems to me that you're saying that if players can't take scurrilous, ill-founded abuse from anonymous keyboard warriors, they should get to hell out of it and find something less stressful to do. Furthermore, players should keep away from social networking of any sort because if they don't read something, it won't upset them. And also that those who could be offended should ignore what is posted on Twitter, Facebook and the likes.
We have a prolific poster on this board, well-known for his dedication to his county.
He posts on a number of other fora also,  including one that is devoted mainly to discussions by fans of his own county. After a game in which his county team got well and truly tanked, he put up  a critical post and singled one player out for special abuse. He gave him a slating, saying that he wasn't up to county standard.
Net thing he knew, the player's father arrived on his doorstep in a very angry state of mind. (The Identity of the poster in question is well-known in his own area.)
The player in question was a third level student and was sitting his finals at the time.
He did not read the offending post but his friends were quick to tell him about. His nerves were badly shot already but he went to bits after hearing about this  and his father was very concerned for his state of mind so he went looking for the individual who criticised his son.
Now if you were in a position to decide what should be the outcome of this doorstep confrontation, what would your verdict be?
Would you tell the father to eff off as his son had no business paying attention to anything that was posted on the Internet?
Would you feel that the player in question was too soft for intercounty football and should pack it in forthwith?
Would you say that in the interests of Free Speech, it should be a case of publish and be damned and hard luck on whoever got upset?
Anyway the possibilities are endless and you may come up with some reaction that I haven't mentioned.
+1

Read the first paragraph Lar. Take it you avoid posting on Twitter  ;).

Jinxy

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 07, 2016, 12:26:03 PM

I think every single person involved in this incident could do with a swift kick up the hole.

Captain Obvious

I don't have a Twitter account for those that do is there not settings to allow only friends/followers to comment on your account?

Jinxy

Yeah, you can protect your account but if you stick in your name you'll obviously see all the bad stuff people are saying about you.
Or, if you have some good 'friends' as per the incident above, they'll tell you all the bad stuff people are saying about you.
Then your father can go around to their house and say, "Leave my boy alone, or else!", as if he was ten years old.