All Ireland Minor Championship 2015

Started by twohands!!!, April 13, 2015, 10:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 14, 2015, 08:46:40 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 13, 2015, 11:11:34 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 13, 2015, 12:38:03 PM
Is there no backdoor in Ulster and Connacht?

Crazy the differences in the provinces

No backdoor is right. Sligo won the Connacht Minor League on Sat beating Mayo by a point

That's the one thing that annoys me more than anything at the minute in the GAA - disgrace that one rule (extra life, or two) exists for some teams and another for other teams.  I have seen cases in recent years where potential All Ireland favourites are dumped out after one loss yet in other provinces you can lose twice and still be in it.
In fairness it's not ideal creating a backdoor system in a 5-team competition, there was one some years back where Sligo emerged from a round-robin with Leitrim and Roscommon, lost to Galway in the next round and as a result got to play Mayo in the actual semi-final, and Galway played Ros on the other side, that was scrapped after only the one year iirc. Probably should just do one big round robin with the 5 to do it instead.

AZOffaly

The Leaving cert complicates matters if you try to go with a 4 game round robin I suppose. Munster has a 6 team championship and it works as follows.

3 Quarter Finals, with all 6 teams playing in an open draw.

The Winners of 1,2 and 3 go into the semi final.

The Losers of 2 play the Losers of 3 in the first playoff.

The winners of that play off plays the Losers of 1 in essentially a fourth quarter final, and the winner of that goes into the semi final.

macdanger2

In Connacht, we could just play a 5-team league and top two play in the final. You'd be talking about 6 matchdays for that

twohands!!!

Clare Team

1. Killian Roche (Cooraclare)
2. Pearse Lillis (Cooraclare)
3. Niall McCarthy (Lissycasey)
4. Kieran Killeen (Kilmurry-Ibrickane)
5. Conor Downes (Naomh Eoin)
6. Killian Burke (Cooraclare)
7. Colm Pyne (Killimer)
8. Killian Brennan (Clondegad)
9. Sean O'Donoghue (Cooraclare)
10. Conor O'Halloran (Éire Óg)
11. Keelan Sexton (Kilmurry-Ibrickane)
12. Padraig McNamara (Lissycasey)
13. Alan Sweeney (St Breckan's)
14. Nigel Murray (O'Curry's)
15. Cormac Murray (St Joseph's Milltown)

THE CLARE TEAM to face Kerry in Wednesday's Electric Ireland Munster minor football quarter-final features four players who lined out against the Kingdom last year. Pearse Lillis, Conor Downes, Niall McCarthy and captain Keelan Sexton have all been named to start.

AZOffaly

A WEEK AFTER captaining the Tipperary minor hurlers, Stephen Quirke has been named in the starting XV for his county's Electric Ireland Munster minor football championship quarter-final with Waterford at Semple Stadium on Wednesday night.
The team will be captained by Quirke's Moyle Rovers team-mate Danny Owens while Quirke's fellow dual player Emmett Moloney of Drom & Inch also makes the starting line-up.
​In all, six of last year's starting XV from the Munster semi-final line out again for Charlie McKeever's side as they get their campaign under way.
Throw-in on Wednesday is 7pm.

Tipperary

1. Charlie Manton (Fethard)

2. Tommy Lowry (Arravale Rovers)
3. Morgan Irwin (Moyle Rovers)
4. Tadhg Fitzgerald (Moyle Rovers)

5. Liam Fahy (Rockwell Rovers)
6. Danny Owens Capt. (Moyle Rovers)
7. Mark Kehoe (Kilsheelan Kilcash)

8. Tommy Nolan (Drom & Inch)
9. Stephen Quirke (Moyle Rovers)

10. Aidan Buckley (St. Patricks)
11. Jack Kennedy (Clonmel Commercials)
12. Shane Power (Galtee Rovers)

13. Emmett Moloney (Drom & Inch)
14. Conor Cashman (Cahir)
15. Jack Delahunty (Newport)

Waterford

1. Kevin Dwane (Ballinacourty)

2. Conor McCarthy (Ballinacourty)
3. Stephen Ryan   (Nire)
4. Darragh O'Grady (Brickey Rangers)

5. Carthach Barry (Brickey Rangers)
6. John Elstead   (Ballinacourty)
7. Neil Montgomery (Ballinacourty)

8. Ciarán Looney (Nire)
9. Conor Prunty   (Ballinacourty)

10. David Looby   (Ballinacourty)
11. Conor Murray (Rathgormack)
12. Shane O'Meara (Nire)

13. Michael Sweeney (Stradbally)
14. Sean White (Gaultier)
15. Dylan Guiry   (Nire)

twohands!!!

Limerick Team

The Limerick team is as follows
(1) Aaron Murphy (Fr. Casey's)
(2) David Hanley (Ballyteen)
(3) Luke O' Connell (Mungret)
(4) Fionn Murphy (Killteely-Dromkeen)
(5) John Wallace (Glin)
(6) Sean Ivess (Newcastlewest)
(7) Sean Murphy (Newcastlewest)
(8 Adam Kerins (St.Senan's)
(9) Michael Whelan (Hospital-Herbertstown)
(10) Andrew White (Rathkeale)
(11) Mikey Morrissey (Rathkeale)(Captain)
(12) Ed Sheehy (Granagh Ballingarry)
(13) Diarmuid Kelly (Newcastlewest)
(14) Mark Connolly (Adare)
(15) James Ryan (Athea).
Management: Jerry O Sullivan (Manager), Selectors Paddy Ivess, Milo McMahon and Sean Holmes.

twohands!!!

Odds on the Munster games

1/14 Kerry U18 v Clare U18 6/1      
Draw 16/1

15/2 Limerick U18 v Cork U18   1/20      
Draw 16/1

2/9 Tipperary U18 v Waterford U18   7/2   
Draw 9/1

Probably the most interesting thing about the odds is Tipp at 2/9

tippabu

Quote from: twohands!!! on April 14, 2015, 05:18:21 PM

Draw 16/1

Draw 16/1

Draw 9/1

interesting in what way? just that traditionaly ourselves, clare, limerick waterford would have been tighter odds useually when playing each other? I dont know a whole lot about this team, Stephen quirke (philip quirkes brother) and jack kennedy (coleman kennedys brother) i have seen and both are top class players, looking forward to tomorrow to see whoelse catches the eye if anyone

twohands!!!

Quote from: tippabu on April 14, 2015, 09:47:50 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on April 14, 2015, 05:18:21 PM

Draw 16/1

Draw 16/1

Draw 9/1

interesting in what way? just that traditionaly ourselves, clare, limerick waterford would have been tighter odds useually when playing each other? I dont know a whole lot about this team, Stephen quirke (philip quirkes brother) and jack kennedy (coleman kennedys brother) i have seen and both are top class players, looking forward to tomorrow to see whoelse catches the eye if anyone

yeah - basically a sign that tipp's good work looks like it's continuing at underage

The Insider

Kilkenny pulled out of the Leinster minor football giving Carlow a bye into quarter final and a wait of another 6 weeks to their first game , they could face a team there who plays 3 games !!!! . Game of the day should be Dublin v Offaly  . Offaly had an excellent Fr Manning squad in 2013 . Home advantage will probably swing it in most games . You'd expect Kildare to beat Louth . Wicklow should be favourites to overcome a Longford side who suffered some heavy defeats in the recent Connaught league . Meath being Meath its hard to tell . Tried out a large number of players in Leinster league . Both Wexford and Westmeath will have dual players issues that may affect preparations , as well as a long day in a bus for Westmeath

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 14, 2015, 01:55:07 PM
The Leaving cert complicates matters if you try to go with a 4 game round robin I suppose. Munster has a 6 team championship and it works as follows.

3 Quarter Finals, with all 6 teams playing in an open draw.

The Winners of 1,2 and 3 go into the semi final.

The Losers of 2 play the Losers of 3 in the first playoff.

The winners of that play off plays the Losers of 1 in essentially a fourth quarter final, and the winner of that goes into the semi final.

That's amazing. I thought that was contrary to the rulebook (giving a beaten team a bye, i.e. the losers of 1). A couple of years ago there was a proposal mooted in Sligo for a knockout c'ship with a backdoor and it fell for the reason I've mentioned.

tippabu

In 2012 we beat kerry in the first round, then we beat them in the munster final, they got to the ai semi we were beaten in the ai 1/4s. They lost 3 matches before getting knocked out we lost 1

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

Quote from: tippabu on April 14, 2015, 11:39:37 PM
In 2012 we beat kerry in the first round, then we beat them in the munster final, they got to the ai semi we were beaten in the ai 1/4s. They lost 3 matches before getting knocked out we lost 1

Natural order of things young man.

blanketattack

Quote from: Rossfan on April 15, 2015, 12:02:20 AM
As I said earlier - illogical.

Not really, Kerry were a shambles at the start with far from their best players in the team. They improved throughout the c'ship and eventually found their best 15 beating Connaught champions Roscommon in the quarters. Dublin were the standout team that year but with 10 mins to go in the semi Kerry were unlucky not to score a goal that would have put them a point up so I feel Kerry were worthy semifinalists. I think it's a good system. Gives every team at least a 2nd game and gives the provincial runners up a shot at a provincial winner in the quarter final.