European Leagues.

Started by laoislad, August 11, 2012, 10:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quit yo jibbajabba

Maroon Manc

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 03, 2018, 09:52:46 AM
As I was watching it, I was thinking "Would you ever see a Mourinho team concede 6 goals in a situation like that?".  Then I thought "Would you ever see a Mourinho team score 7 goals to be 7-4 up on aggregate after 170 odd minutes of a two leg tie?"

A machine that could combine Mourinho and Klopp would produce some manager.

He was called Fergie

TabClear

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 03, 2018, 09:58:16 AM
As I was watching it, I was thinking "Would you ever see a Mourinho team concede 6 goals in a situation like that?".  Then I thought "Would you ever see a Mourinho team score 7 goals to be 7-4 up on aggregate after 170 odd minutes of a two leg tie?"

He was called Fergie

Different times though. For the majority of Ferguson's tenure he was the richest kid in the playground. He had to compete with arsenal on a regular basis and the occasional good Liverpool/ Newcastle etc team but very little else until Abramovich appeared on the scene. City appeared towards the end of his reign. The tide had turned before he quit, his last title was one of his best achievements in my book.

What I admired about his teams was the "go for the jugular" approach where they generally tried to kill teams off. You very rarely saw them sitting back the way Liverpool did last night or Mourinho does every game.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: TabClear on May 03, 2018, 10:29:08 AM

He was called Fergie

Different times though. For the majority of Ferguson's tenure he was the richest kid in the playground. He had to compete with arsenal on a regular basis and the occasional good Liverpool/ Newcastle etc team but very little else until Abramovich appeared on the scene. City appeared towards the end of his reign. The tide had turned before he quit, his last title was one of his best achievements in my book.

What I admired about his teams was the "go for the jugular" approach where they generally tried to kill teams off. You very rarely saw them sitting back the way Liverpool did last night or Mourinho does every game.

He had money but mostly spent it wisely but so often had to balance the books especially in the summer of 95 and then again when the Glazers arrived. There isn't a great deal between what United spent from the late 80's for the next 20 years and what Liverpool spent, the difference was they wasted it. I wanted rid of Fergie in 05, thought he'd lost it and was spending too much time away from club/changing ground,  then performed miracles in the transfer market bringing in Van Der Sar, Vidic & Evra for very little; Within 18 months United had become the best team in Europe, it was a turnaround I didn't see coming.

HiMucker

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 03, 2018, 10:47:55 AM
Quote from: TabClear on May 03, 2018, 10:29:08 AM

He was called Fergie

Different times though. For the majority of Ferguson's tenure he was the richest kid in the playground. He had to compete with arsenal on a regular basis and the occasional good Liverpool/ Newcastle etc team but very  ::)little else until Abramovich appeared on the scene. City appeared towards the end of his reign. The tide had turned before he quit, his last title was one of his best achievements in my book.

He had money but mostly spent it wisely but so often had to balance the books especially in the summer of 95 and then again when the Glazers arrived. There isn't a great deal between what United spent from the late 80's for the next 20 years and what Liverpool spent, the difference was they wasted it. I wanted rid of Fergie in 05, thought he'd lost it and was spending too much time away from club/changing ground,  then performed miracles in the transfer market bringing in Van Der Sar, Vidic & Evra for very little; Within 18 months United had become the best team in Europe, it was a turnaround I didn't see coming.
::) ;D  Jesus Ive heard it all!

Maroon Manc

There was plenty amongst United's match going support who thought his time was up, United were miles behind Chelsea and he was missing training sessions to go and watch his horses train. United had gone out in the group stage in the CL in late 05 and add in the Glazers had taken over and their wasn't much money to spend it looked very glum going forward. The football had become very mundane too.

Keane gave him the rocket up his arse he needed, he didn't look back after that.

Armamike

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 03, 2018, 09:45:37 AM
Avoided the game last night apart from watching 10 minutes when Roma equalised then Liverpool went 2-1 up.

I've a little hope now but expecting the worst, to go 5-0 up during the first leg then be hanging on near the end shows what Liverpool are about, still think their a fair bit of winning a league title thankfully.,

They will always ship goals because of Klopp's instinct to push them forward.  Losing big leads has been a trend with this team but it's slowly being addressed.  Van Dijk's arrival has already seen a big improvement at the back and a lot less goals conceded.  A few quality additions in the summer will help further.  Last night showed again that Klarius and Lovren are not to be trusted in the bigger games.  A bit more nous in game management and cynicism at times to break play up when a team has a run on them would help too.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Armamike on May 03, 2018, 12:26:31 PM
Avoided the game last night apart from watching 10 minutes when Roma equalised then Liverpool went 2-1 up.

I've a little hope now but expecting the worst, to go 5-0 up during the first leg then be hanging on near the end shows what Liverpool are about, still think their a fair bit of winning a league title thankfully.,

They will always ship goals because of Klopp's instinct to push them forward.  Losing big leads has been a trend with this team but it's slowly being addressed.  Van Dijk's arrival has already seen a big improvement at the back and a lot less goals conceded.  A few quality additions in the summer will help further.  Last night showed again that Klarius and Lovren are not to be trusted in the bigger games.  A bit more nous in game management and cynicism at times to break play up when a team has a run on them would help too.

They've certainly improved but to win a title he's going to have find some quality players mainly a goalie, a centre half and and a real quality attacking player to push the front 3. I don't know how many points they've dropped at home but appears they've a real problem with teams who come to defend at Anfield.

Klopp worked wonders in the transfer market the past 12 months, it won't be easy to replicate it especially when their won't be huge sums available.

Syferus

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 03, 2018, 12:50:50 PM

They've certainly improved but to win a title he's going to have find some quality players mainly a goalie, a centre half and and a real quality attacking player to push the front 3. I don't know how many points they've dropped at home but appears they've a real problem with teams who come to defend at Anfield.

Klopp worked wonders in the transfer market the past 12 months, it won't be easy to replicate it especially when their won't be huge sums available.

What?

They've made $100 million alone for making the CL final and a top four finish in the EPL is a massive windfall too. They have plenty of money to spend. They are the eighth biggest club on Earth in market value.

Applesisapples

Unfortunately I fear that Real are now a shoo in and that pri**k Ronaldo will get the Ballon D'Or.

AQMP

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 03, 2018, 03:00:06 PM
Unfortunately I fear that Real are now a shoo in and that pri**k Ronaldo will get the Ballon D'Or.

Dunno, Real's defence isn't up to much, they're struggling at right back, Varane can be inconsistent and Ramos looks maybe past his best.  I think Liverpool are in with a great chance though Real may take heart from the fact that L'pool conceded 2 goals in the final 10 mins of each game in the semi.

laoislad

Quote from: AQMP on May 03, 2018, 04:17:01 PM

Dunno, Real's defence isn't up to much, they're struggling at right back, Varane can be inconsistent and Ramos looks maybe past his best.  I think Liverpool are in with a great chance though Real may take heart from the fact that L'pool conceded 2 goals in the final 10 mins of each game in the semi.
2 of which were penalties that shouldn't have been given!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Applesisapples

Quote from: laoislad on May 03, 2018, 04:32:43 PM
Quote from: AQMP on May 03, 2018, 04:17:01 PM

2 of which were penalties that shouldn't have been given!
Well heres hoping

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Syferus on May 03, 2018, 02:52:00 PM

What?

They've made $100 million alone for making the CL final and a top four finish in the EPL is a massive windfall too. They have plenty of money to spend. They are the eighth biggest club on Earth in market value.

Little bit more complex than that.

Compare United & Liverpool's EBITDA and then a quick look at both clubs cash position. Liverpool are already committed to spending about £50m on Keita this summer too and I think he's got rid of most of the player he  doesn't want that would command big transfer fee's. Klopp is going to have to work wonders this summer to get a squad capable of winning the title.

Syferus

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 03, 2018, 05:06:15 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 03, 2018, 02:52:00 PM

What?

Little bit more complex than that.

Compare United & Liverpool's EBITDA and then a quick look at both clubs cash position. Liverpool are already committed to spending about £50m on Keita this summer too and I think he's got rid of most of the player he  doesn't want that would command big transfer fee's. Klopp is going to have to work wonders this summer to get a squad capable of winning the title.

Wouldn't the Coutiniho sale cover both the VVD and Keita outlays by itself?

Klopp's problem is that he can't build a defence more than it is lack of money. His system isn't very supportive of it, just like Pep's isn't but he has better players overall up front (Salah excluded none of the Liverpool forwards or attacking players would make the first choice City team). So if he's going to build the ultimate expression of his system he needs better players than Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlin, Lalanna, Milner servicing the forwards, and there needs to be cover for the front three to boot. Keita might solve those problems somewhat.

And even with that said, Lovren is obviously a donkey and needs to go so they do need a CB to partner VVD.