The half decent/under-rated movie thread

Started by Puckoon, May 27, 2008, 11:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: JimStynes on May 27, 2008, 11:19:40 PM
I always think shawshank redemption was very under-rated, dont think it done much in the cinema or anything.

It was released to little hype in its initial theatre release, but it has been one the most highly rated films ever since then. It was nominated for best film in its Oscar year as well (although how Forrest Gump beat both it and Pulp Fiction will go down as one of the great mysteries of Oscar history for me!)

J70

Carlito's Way

Scarface gets all the hype when it comes to De Palma/Pacino partnerships, but Carlito's Way is by far the superior film.

nrico2006

QuoteCarlito's Way

Scarface gets all the hype when it comes to De Palma/Pacino partnerships, but Carlito's Way is by far the superior film.

I would say Carlito's way is as good for sure.  What about 'A Bronx Tale'?

Sleepers and Unforgiven would be pretty highly rated.

Also, the original Manhunter is good as is the new version Red Dragon.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

mouview

Quote from: J70 on May 28, 2008, 01:47:25 PM
Carlito's Way

Totally agree. Not at all a fan of Pacino/Palma but this is a great story of disloyalty and betrayal.

Shawshank' is overrated IMHO. Good story and performances but the characters are a bit stock and 2-dimensional (prison guards bad, prisoners good) and the plot is somewhat predictable. As in all films, a bit of ambiguity would have helped, e.g. Andy really killing his wife. (Budding film students note this point).

Underrated.... in recent times The Prestige, very entertaining film about rival magicians.

J70

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 28, 2008, 01:50:52 PM
QuoteCarlito's Way

I would say Carlito's way is as good for sure.  What about 'A Bronx Tale'?

Sleepers and Unforgiven would be pretty highly rated.

Also, the original Manhunter is good as is the new version Red Dragon.

A Bronx Tale is class all right.

I had tickets to see Chazz Palminteri's one-man production of it on Broadway last year, but the bloody stage-hand strike caused it to be cancelled. >:(

bennydorano

Adam & Paul - outstanding movie.
Stuart - A Life backwards (a BBC film - great show, a slow burner and a bit harrowing at times- worth watching out for)

Tony Baloney

K-Pax
For the love of the game
Fallen
He Got Game
Bloodsport (Great film, who cares about the acting!)

Looks like someone has a boner for Denzel...

heganboy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 28, 2008, 02:13:30 PM
K-Pax
For the love of the game
Fallen
He Got Game
Bloodsport (Great film, who cares about the acting!)

Looks like someone has a boner for Denzel...
That may be the case but those are 2 excellent movies. The "he got game" soundtrack is pretty special too
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

nrico2006

Unfortunate J70.  The Prestige is class, only saw it about 2 months ago.  As I have a Boner for Denzel I will also stick in John Q - awesome movie. 

Tony, it beats you and Minders infatuation with Matrix in Commando!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

I watched the two Iwo Jima films there recently, directed by Clint Eastwood, on Sky Movies. I thought they were enjoyable, and not the usual rah-rah Hollywood bullshite.

Letters from Iwo Jima is the Japanese 'view' of the battle.
Flags of our Fathers is the American one, although that deals just as much with the cynical use of 'heros' to sell the war to a jaded American Public.

J70

Speaking of A Bronx Tale, has anyone heard what happened to yer man who played "C"?

He was stuck in prison awaiting charges of murdering a cop the last time I heard (himself and another boy were breaking into a house in the Bronx for drugs, when a off duty cop who lived on the street challenged them. The other boy pulled out a gun and killed him).

nrico2006

RONAN

Green Street, Elijah Wood actin the bad ass, thought when i seen it advertised it was a wind-up but played it well.
No matter how many times its on i seem to watch it.

Rav67