Kerry get a free pass

Started by heganboy, July 01, 2007, 03:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heganboy

If the cynical tactics used by Kerry to win this afternoons game with Cork had been employed by any other county all of the headlines would be about the death of football and how shocking the game has become.
Kerry cheated, stalled, fouled, dived and goaded their way through the second half of that game to buy themselves another Munster championship, and there won't be a word about it in the press tomorrow.
Disgraceful display.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

sunny

Totallly agree, while I have a lot of respect for many of the Kerry greats the level of cynicism in their style of football is unreal. Fouling is something all of the big team are prone too including Armagh, Tyrone and Kerry but really gets my goat about Kerry is that they get away with it from the commentators. In an Ulster match what is described as 'the death of football' or in the unbelievably biased Martin Carneys case 'a total disgrace', is described in the Munster Final as two players getting to know one another. As for incident replays, why do RTE seem reluctant to replay a fouling incident in a Munster game but we see replays of the one incident till the cows come home in Ulster matches. Masters played well today and the pull of the shirt in front of the Kerry goalmouth should have at least been a free if not a penlalty. Another meaningless title for Kerry, I hope they enjoy it.  :-\

corn02

I for one do not buy too much into this anti- Ulster biased attitude, and I enjoy whatever hint of it their is. Kerry being described as playing the game the way it should be gets on my nerves, they are as cynical as Armagh or Tyrone .

Tatler Jack

QuoteKerry being described as playing the game the way it should be gets on my nerves, they are as cynical as Armagh or Tyrone .

Completelly disagree Corn 02. They are much more cynical.  :D

heganboy

Corn02- this isn't an anti-ulster issue, I'm just pointing out that Kerry get a free pass, which you seem to agree with

Puckoon

Its not so much the kerry display that bothers me, but the acceptance or desire to ignore it by the media - and indeed some of the less impartial kingdom fans. This bought notion of puke football reigning supreme in ulster is complete trash, infact, the cynicysm displayed by kerry today could almost be deemed worse than the swarming defensive intensity pioneered up north (IMHO). Tomas O'Se's blatant foul as cork broke in the 66th minute, when the scores were level, was a prime example. Did the RTE guys get worked up about it? Absolutely not, but you can bet your ass that if it was an ulster team, there would be some thoughtless comment about the detriment of the beautiful game. Why cant these people wake up, all we want is a removal of the anti ulster bias, we are no saints, but theres a bunch of "cute hoors" getting away with allsorts up and down the country!

stew

Kerry have been at it for years, as were the dubs when they were in their heyday, the fact is that Kerry got the win and that is all they will concern themselves with however the lack tactics they employed today to stall the ball and the sheer knavery displayed at times really shows kerry in their true light, they are just like everybody else and when they are getting it put up to them they are worse!

Someone in the media needs to highlight Kerry's antics, they are the greatest footballing county ever but they should not be above being held accountable for the negative tactics they employ from time to time.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

paddypastit

come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

PatDaly

Heganboy,

Marty Morrissey completely disagrees with you. He twice in his match report describes the game as

Quotea really good game of football

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2007/0701/kerry.html?gaa

This is obviously another case of Ulster paranoia sure Kerry are the connaisseurs of gaelic football in contrast to the hatchet men from the north with their puke football. The sad fact is most people really believe this to be true.

Mike Sheehy

Its only a game lads. Nothing worth getting so worked up about.

Star Spangler

Good teams are cynical - end of story.

heganboy

Spangler- just to clarify- I have no issues with doing what it takes to win- I am from Armagh after all, and we waited a long time to win and had no cmp. My issue is with the fact that Kerry employ the same tactics that caused an absolute outcry and yet are given a free pass in most of the media.
Its the free pass I'm complaining about, not the tactics...

Pangurban

Cork were robbed, and that Kerry display today will cause no alarm amongst the other contenders, on form to date Tyrone are in pole position

orangeman

Look - you do whatever you need to - Kerry are champs - no point crying about it - if you can't beat them, join them !

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 01, 2007, 07:26:15 PM
Its only a game lads. Nothing worth getting so worked up about.

OK, who's been handing out the happy pills, after that foregoing attack on Kerry's very manhood?  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...