Is there anything that people in RoI won't take to court?

Started by Owen Brannigan, April 27, 2017, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Owen Brannigan

Schoolboy hit with legal bill as 'deflated football' case is dismissed

A schoolboy has failed in his personal injury action where he claimed his primary school was negligent in supplying him with a deflated football that caused him to break his wrist during a soccer match.
At Ennis Circuit Court in Co Clare, Judge Gerald Keys dismissed the case by Julius Kroka (14) taken against Ennis Educate Together, Gort Road, Ennis.

Suing through his mother, Julius claimed that kicking the deflated ball during a soccer match with class-mates at break-time on March 14, 2017, caused him to fall. Julius, of Sandfield Hall, Ennis, said that he broke his wrist.

Julius said that the football was between 60pc to 70pc deflated. He was aged 12 at the time and he told the court: "I was falling backwards. My instinct told me to put out my left hand."

In the case, the school put forward evidence that Julius didn't kick the ball at all and that his version of the accident was 'impossible'. Ennis Educate Together special needs assistant (SNA) Marian Moroney told the court that she was 10 feet from the accident and said that Julius never made contact with the ball. Ms Moroney told the court: "He went to kick the ball but never connected with the ball and fell over." She said that there was no problem with the ball and it was used for another game the following day.

Judge Keys said that the written grounds of the case put forward on behalf of the plaintiff are "extraordinary".

He said if the case was to succeed "I think you have to stop playing football altogether in schools". "The schoolboy lost his balance and when he put his hand out to try to save himself from falling, he broke his wrist. I am afraid that is an accident, these things happen," he said.

Julius's legal team employed a consulting engineer and the school had to employ its own engineer in its defence who argued that the ball could not have been deflated at the time.

Judge Keys awarded costs against the plaintiff. "This is a case where a message has to go out... where some actions are brought there is a risk of costs being awarded against you," he said.

Irish Independent

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 30, 2019, 06:18:59 AM

A schoolboy has failed in his personal injury action where he claimed his primary school was negligent in supplying him with a deflated football that caused him to break his wrist during a soccer match.
At Ennis Circuit Court in Co Clare, Judge Gerald Keys dismissed the case by Julius Kroka (14) taken against Ennis Educate Together, Gort Road, Ennis.

Suing through his mother, Julius claimed that kicking the deflated ball during a soccer match with class-mates at break-time on March 14, 2017, caused him to fall. Julius, of Sandfield Hall, Ennis, said that he broke his wrist.

Julius said that the football was between 60pc to 70pc deflated. He was aged 12 at the time and he told the court: "I was falling backwards. My instinct told me to put out my left hand."

In the case, the school put forward evidence that Julius didn't kick the ball at all and that his version of the accident was 'impossible'. Ennis Educate Together special needs assistant (SNA) Marian Moroney told the court that she was 10 feet from the accident and said that Julius never made contact with the ball. Ms Moroney told the court: "He went to kick the ball but never connected with the ball and fell over." She said that there was no problem with the ball and it was used for another game the following day.

Judge Keys said that the written grounds of the case put forward on behalf of the plaintiff are "extraordinary".

He said if the case was to succeed "I think you have to stop playing football altogether in schools". "The schoolboy lost his balance and when he put his hand out to try to save himself from falling, he broke his wrist. I am afraid that is an accident, these things happen," he said.

Julius's legal team employed a consulting engineer and the school had to employ its own engineer in its defence who argued that the ball could not have been deflated at the time.

Judge Keys awarded costs against the plaintiff. "This is a case where a message has to go out... where some actions are brought there is a risk of costs being awarded against you," he said.

Irish Independent

Because it was deflated the ball didnt move as fast as it should have causing him to miss time his shot, causing him to fall over thus leading to a fractured wrist, case closed mlord!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

If this had got through it would have gave hope for shite footballers everywhere.

Me included

trailer

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

I see some fella got E1.1m for wrongful arrest by the Gardai. I'm happy for them to duff me up a bit for a million.

David McKeown

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 30, 2019, 11:17:12 AM
I see some fella got E1.1m for wrongful arrest by the Gardai. I'm happy for them to duff me up a bit for a million.

That's a huge amount in comparison to what you'd get in the north unless he was detained for a very long time
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Denn Forever

Source?  That is just teasing.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

trailer

Solicitors should be named in these cases as well. They're pushing the thing for their own financial gain. They should held shown up for the Ambulance chasers that they are. An industry more corrupt than you could imagine.

whitey

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 30, 2019, 08:48:54 AM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 30, 2019, 06:18:59 AM

Irish Independent

Because it was deflated the ball didnt move as fast as it should have causing him to miss time his shot, causing him to fall over thus leading to a fractured wrist, case closed mlord!

Haha-think about it. Hypothetically, if a ball was either over or under inflated by a smidgeon, you could have grounds to sue if this lawsuit was successful. Tom Brady is only in the hapenny place compared to these chancers

Puckoon

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 30, 2019, 01:58:26 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on July 30, 2019, 01:41:31 PM

Source?  That is just teasing.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/man-awarded-1-1m-for-wrongful-arrest-by-garda%C3%AD-over-attack-on-fiancee-1.3970801?mode=amp

Not the last lawsuit out of that story

The jury of six women and five men, reduced to 11 after one juror had to go on a pre-booked holiday because the trial went over the scheduled five days, deliberated for nearly 6½ hours over two days.