Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Quote from: Gmac on January 22, 2022, 04:02:17 PM
Meatloaf was the picture of health all his life ffs get a grip
74 year old obese man with heart disease and asthma dies.  Shocker
Take the L and move on Gmac

Wildweasel74

The amount of men over 80 in my local graveyard is very limited,, no way 50% of men live to over 80,

HiMucker

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 22, 2022, 11:57:45 PM
The amount of men over 80 in my local graveyard is very limited,, no way 50% of men live to over 80,
I think you need have a wee think about that one wildweasel. Alot if them ain't in the ground yet lol

Milltown Row2

You walk around most graveyards I'd say they'd mainly be younger that 70 never mind 80. Does that change the current average age of people dying?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Of course, men live about 2 years less in occupied Ireland.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on January 23, 2022, 12:14:05 AM

Are you replying to me?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RedHand88

Well if they're still living they aren't going to be in the graveyard  :P

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 23, 2022, 12:20:52 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on January 23, 2022, 12:14:05 AM

Are you replying to me?

Not really. It is just a piece of data.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 23, 2022, 12:02:55 AM

You walk around most graveyards I'd say they'd mainly be younger that 70 never mind 80. Does that change the current average age of people dying?
Age of people dying is a function of social class in Ireland and elsewhere.
Ireland is very unequal on both sides of the border.
Manual labourers are twice as likely to die than doctors and lawyers.
Over a lifetime that would translate into dying in their 70s rather than 80s.

https://www.esri.ie/publications/socio-economic-differentials-in-male-mortality-in-ireland-1984-2008

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/kingston-mills-is-covid-gone-or-will-dangers-keep-lurking-1.4782529

In Ireland, it would be prudent to retain measures that minimise transmission of the virus in the population until hospital admission with Covid-19 has reduced to low levels. The use of Covid certificates based on three vaccine doses, or two doses and recovery from Omicron infection, would ensure a safer full return to hospitality, entertainment and sporting events, and would encourage uptake of booster vaccines. When applied to international travel, they would also prevent further importation of Sars-CoV-2 from countries that still have high circulating levels of the virus. The argument for vaccine equity for developing countries, where vaccine coverage is still shocking low, is stronger than ever. The pandemic will never be over until all countries have equal access to vaccines.

Mutation emergence

The biggest cloud on the horizon is the emergence of new variants that are as transmissible as Omicron but completely escape immunity induced by the current vaccines. There is a strong possibility that further Sars-CoV-2 variants will emerge, but it is impossible to predict when, and what effect the next mutations will have on transmission, immunity and disease severity. If new variants are minimally different from Omicron, then an Omicron-specific vaccine or a previous infection with Omicron in vaccinated individuals should still confer protective immunity.

lenny

You obviously don't understand what's being said here and are displaying a real level of ignorance. The facts are if you make it to 74 and you're a male your most likely age of death is 87. That number would be very different if your age at the moment is 30 or 40.

grounded

Quote from: lenny on January 23, 2022, 08:05:20 AM

You obviously don't understand what's being said here and are displaying a real level of ignorance. The facts are if you make it to 74 and you're a male your most likely age of death is 87. That number would be very different if your age at the moment is 30 or 40.

Anyway, the poor man's passed away now so best left at that rather than using his death for some sort point scoring exercise.

seafoid

That would depend on your social class.

lenny

Quote from: seafoid on January 23, 2022, 01:03:15 PM

That would depend on your social class.

Not just your social class, there are lots of variables. It is a fact though that for the average male who lives to 74 he can then expect to go on to live to 87.