Previous topic - Next topic

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on December 10, 2021, 01:30:29 AM
Quote from: Gmac on December 09, 2021, 07:51:16 PM
Quote from: lenny on December 09, 2021, 07:07:33 PM
Quote from: Gmac on December 09, 2021, 06:43:44 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 07, 2021, 02:06:08 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 06, 2021, 10:43:27 PM
I wear a mask and all but unsure of the benefit of it. I would do some paint spraying on and off, minor things spraying. And u have to wear certain level of mask due to paint particles in the air. And particles from coughing etc are smaller again. Am not sure of the real scientific fact with basic masks as u def not spray paint with them.

Most surgical masks or covid-type face coverings are useless to protect you from something like paint vapours and aerosols. They don't form a seal, nor are they necessarily made from tested or appropriate filtering material (you need activated carbon/charcoal or similar for the vapours but a different filtering material for the aerosols/droplets). Surgical masks might stop a few large droplets getting through I guess, but that's not what they're designed for. They're designed to protect the people around the person wearing it, traditionally the patient being treated by the surgeon or other health practitioner so that the patient doesn't get infected by anything the health practitioner is exhaling.

When it comes to covid, its the same thing. A form of source control to lower the chances of the wearer infecting others.

Of course, you can add to that for your own benefit by wearing something like an N95 respirator instead of a surgical or cloth mask. A proper respirator will also offer the wearer some level of protection (assuming its worn correctly, clean-shaven etc. so that it forms a seal).

I've seen debates about N95s with exhalation valves. The issue being that the exhalation valve allows unhindered release of exhaled air and thus defeats the purpose of the whole masking exercise when it comes to covid. Which is true for the most part. However, if you have someone who ALWAYS wears a properly fitted N95 (clean shaven etc), then they're probably much less likely to contract covid in the first place and thus less likely to infect others and so possibly a better masking participant than the person with only a surgical mask or cloth covering.
I just bought a  50 pack disposable masks in Walgreens and when I was opening them up it says easy to breathe through on box , i billion of these pieces of garbage in the oceans too , too many people getting rich to stop anytime soon

I'd recommend for you those masks you can't breathe through. Wear them for an hour or 2 and you'll be well protected from Covid. Don't mention it.
when did you get so radicalized your hoping people suffocate themselves, another lovely liberal

So suffocation is the latest buzzword from the fever swamps, is it? Those stats must be through the stratosphere then so over the past 18 months with all the people masking.
did you read what he said ?

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Thastheball on December 09, 2021, 04:39:39 PM
I suppose many of posters on here who have forgotten to think for themselves will blame twitter or Jane from Facebook.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanepe/article/PIIS2666-7762(21)00258-1/fulltext?s=08#%20

It is so obvious, but hey blame the unvaccinated

I will admit to feeling troubled and at times sceptical when respected medical journals publish articles on COVID that suggest my own views might be in need of revision (or perhaps flat out wrong).   Like the one you linked.

How do articles in respected scientific journals that cut against your view affect your thinking on the matter?

Franko

Quote from: Gmac on December 10, 2021, 02:18:29 AM
I wear a mask and all but unsure of the benefit of it. I would do some paint spraying on and off, minor things spraying. And u have to wear certain level of mask due to paint particles in the air. And particles from coughing etc are smaller again. Am not sure of the real scientific fact with basic masks as u def not spray paint with them.

Most surgical masks or covid-type face coverings are useless to protect you from something like paint vapours and aerosols. They don't form a seal, nor are they necessarily made from tested or appropriate filtering material (you need activated carbon/charcoal or similar for the vapours but a different filtering material for the aerosols/droplets). Surgical masks might stop a few large droplets getting through I guess, but that's not what they're designed for. They're designed to protect the people around the person wearing it, traditionally the patient being treated by the surgeon or other health practitioner so that the patient doesn't get infected by anything the health practitioner is exhaling.

When it comes to covid, its the same thing. A form of source control to lower the chances of the wearer infecting others.

Of course, you can add to that for your own benefit by wearing something like an N95 respirator instead of a surgical or cloth mask. A proper respirator will also offer the wearer some level of protection (assuming its worn correctly, clean-shaven etc. so that it forms a seal).

I've seen debates about N95s with exhalation valves. The issue being that the exhalation valve allows unhindered release of exhaled air and thus defeats the purpose of the whole masking exercise when it comes to covid. Which is true for the most part. However, if you have someone who ALWAYS wears a properly fitted N95 (clean shaven etc), then they're probably much less likely to contract covid in the first place and thus less likely to infect others and so possibly a better masking participant than the person with only a surgical mask or cloth covering.
I just bought a  50 pack disposable masks in Walgreens and when I was opening them up it says easy to breathe through on box , i billion of these pieces of garbage in the oceans too , too many people getting rich to stop anytime soon

I'd recommend for you those masks you can't breathe through. Wear them for an hour or 2 and you'll be well protected from Covid. Don't mention it.
when did you get so radicalized your hoping people suffocate themselves, another lovely liberal

So suffocation is the latest buzzword from the fever swamps, is it? Those stats must be through the stratosphere then so over the past 18 months with all the people masking.

It was clearly a joke you f**king snowflake.

Rudi

Quote from: Franko on December 10, 2021, 08:41:14 AM

Did the joke make you laugh or cause you amusement? By definition thats what a joke is meant to do, i suppose its subjective. Definitely didn't make me laugh, thought it was a daft thing to say to be honest. Liberals are a rare breed.

imtommygunn

Are people who wear masks the new liberals? When and how did this happen?

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 10, 2021, 09:11:27 AM

and despite a majority wearing masks and getting vaccinated and boosters they are a "rare breed"... sure who can argue with logical like that. .

Franko

Quote from: Rudi on December 10, 2021, 09:10:35 AM

Did the joke make you laugh or cause you amusement? By definition thats what a joke is meant to do, i suppose its subjective. Definitely didn't make me laugh, thought it was a daft thing to say to be honest. Liberals are a rare breed.

Not shocked, I would say very little does.

Being anti-everything and spending all your life moaning about it has to be a joyless existence.

Rudi

100% missing what was said. I wear a mask not an issue. Read what Lenny said, like a good lad.

Rudi

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on December 10, 2021, 09:15:23 AM

and despite a majority wearing masks and getting vaccinated and boosters they are a "rare breed"... sure who can argue with logical like that. .

Bit surprised with you Padraig. Thats not what I'm saying. Read what Lenny said regarding masks. I have 100% no problem with wearing a mask. I have no problem with people taking vaccines either.

Rudi

[/b]I'd recommend for you those masks you can't breathe through. Wear them for an hour or 2 and you'll be well protected from Covid. Don't mention it.

This is what I'm referring to.

Rudi

Quote from: Franko on December 10, 2021, 09:22:04 AM
Quote from: Rudi on December 10, 2021, 09:10:35 AM

Not shocked, I would say very little does.

[/b]Being anti-everything and spending all your life moaning about it has to be a joyless existence.

I agree with that statement & I hope you're not referring to me. The only thing I moan about or am anti is abortion.

lenny

Quote from: Rudi on December 10, 2021, 09:38:46 AM

100% missing what was said. I wear a mask not an issue. Read what Lenny said, like a good lad.

Ridiculous that you're taking my comment seriously. Gmac was trying to say masks were useless because you could breathe through them easily. I joked that he should try to get ones that you couldn't breathe through. His was a ridiculous comment as what use are masks if you can't breathe through them easily, they're meant to be worn for hours on end. It's typical of the right wing nutcases though to try to turn a bit of humour into an attack on them.

Rudi

Quote from: lenny on December 10, 2021, 09:52:13 AM
Quote from: Rudi on December 10, 2021, 09:38:46 AM

Ridiculous that you're taking my comment seriously. Gmac was trying to say masks were useless because you could breathe through them easily. I joked that he should try to get ones that you couldn't breathe through. His was a ridiculous comment as what use are masks if you can't breathe through them easily, they're meant to be worn for hours on end. It's typical of the right wing nutcases though to try to turn a bit of humour into an attack on them.

My politics is right of center, I have some opinions aligned with people who are center or center left. Don't know how you can label me a right wing nutcase. The thing I am most annoyed with is Padraig & Tommy who come across as decent skins mis-interpreting what I said. That really pisses me off.

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Rudi on December 10, 2021, 09:41:54 AM

Bit surprised with you Padraig. Thats not what I'm saying. Read what Lenny said regarding masks. I have 100% no problem with wearing a mask. I have no problem with people taking vaccines either.

from the exchange Gmac called Lenny Liberal..  you also referred to liberals... hence my remarks... Lenny can clarify if it was a joke or out of frustration  or why he/she posted why he/she did.

Rudi

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on December 10, 2021, 10:12:11 AM
Quote from: Rudi on December 10, 2021, 09:41:54 AM

from the exchange Gmac called Lenny Liberal..  you also referred to liberals... hence my remarks... Lenny can clarify if it was a joke or out of frustration  or why he/she posted why he/she did.

Not much of a reply Padraig, you directly quoted me above & took my initial comments out of context, making me out to be some class of eggit in saying "sure how can you argue with logic like that", when I clearly made reference to Lennys distasteful "joke". Mind your manners Padraig.