China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Quote from: BennyCake on December 16, 2020, 10:52:29 AM
The problem with a lockdown is that it's not a lockdown.

If this was September, a lot more places would be closed. But governments are afraid to, because people would complain as they couldn't go out to buy Xmas pyjamas and traders would miss out on Christmas trade, and the government would have to compensate them. That's what it's boiling down to.

We are going to see one hell of a shitstorm in January.

This in a nutshell!

Smurfy123

The north's death rate compared to the south is terrible
Underfunded for to long
The big shots up the hill not given one fuk
It's time there were held accountable for such a poor health service
The numbers did not go down so the last lockdown had no affect
Where to from here?

BennyCake

Quote from: Smurfy123 on December 16, 2020, 05:43:01 PM
Underfunded for to long
Where to from here?

Try not to get it, and try not to die. Every man for himself. That's where we are now.

sid waddell

Quote from: themac_23 on December 16, 2020, 10:45:29 AM
we keep saying lockdowns work
They do work

The evidence is cut and dried

Lockdowns are there to do one thing - reduce the amount of cases

That is their only function

And for that, they very definitely work

What you are talking about in the rest of your posts here is a different debate altogether - a debate about long term strategy

marty34

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 16, 2020, 11:05:17 AM
Quote from: marty34 on December 16, 2020, 10:58:09 AM

If this was September, a lot more places would be closed. But governments are afraid to, because people would complain as they couldn't go out to buy Xmas pyjamas and traders would miss out on Christmas trade, and the government would have to compensate them. That's what it's boiling down to.

I agree.

People are the problem.  The sense of entitlement is unreal.

I need to queue at Primark for over an hour...like wtf?

People are the problem but I understand it's not good for the economy.

Not to defend this, because it winds me up. But when you close literally everything else, what else are people supposed to do? Going to Primark is now their evening meal, few pints, gym session, game of 5 a side, training.

Ever see as many people out walking Cuilcagh as you have this year? When you narrow down what people can do......of course you are going to end up in a mess like the Primark scenarios as that's basically their social lives now. Work and Primark.

It's going to continue this cycle, but over the last month, the tide has really turned, most people are openly saying they don't give a....This board does not represent the views I get in real life interaction, nowhere near it. Real life interaction is completely dismissive now.

Get a grip - Primark is the new social life.  Wtf?

People need to take personal responsibility for their actions - queuing for an hour outside Primark, in a crowded area, is not a good decision. Whatever they need is not that important.

This sense of entitlement is unreal.

armaghniac

While younger people are not as badly affected by Covid, in the US the death rate for people in the 25-44 year age group was 50% higher in July than the long run average, that includes all the road accidents, suicides, drug overdoses, cancers, etc.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: marty34 on December 16, 2020, 08:28:21 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 16, 2020, 11:05:17 AM
Quote from: marty34 on December 16, 2020, 10:58:09 AM

I agree.

People are the problem.  The sense of entitlement is unreal.

I need to queue at Primark for over an hour...like wtf?

People are the problem but I understand it's not good for the economy.

Not to defend this, because it winds me up. But when you close literally everything else, what else are people supposed to do? Going to Primark is now their evening meal, few pints, gym session, game of 5 a side, training.

Ever see as many people out walking Cuilcagh as you have this year? When you narrow down what people can do......of course you are going to end up in a mess like the Primark scenarios as that's basically their social lives now. Work and Primark.

It's going to continue this cycle, but over the last month, the tide has really turned, most people are openly saying they don't give a....This board does not represent the views I get in real life interaction, nowhere near it. Real life interaction is completely dismissive now.

Get a grip - Primark is the new social life.  Wtf?

People need to take personal responsibility for their actions - queuing for an hour outside Primark, in a crowded area, is not a good decision. Whatever they need is not that important.

This sense of entitlement is unreal.

What else do you want people to do here, you do understand that people cannot stay at home 24/7.

Give us your solution here, I am genuinely interested. I appreciate you are obviously frustrated, as we all are.

You are throwing out things like sense of entitlement here like these people acted in some way illegally. Was it wise? No. Do you want them to be at home 24/7 or what are you actually saying? They looked to be wearing face masks and relatively distanced from whatever pictures I seen. The shops were allowed to be open, they weren't stood outside Stormont protesting for their rights. What is the problem?

armaghniac

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 16, 2020, 08:51:21 PM
What else do you want people to do here, you do understand that people cannot stay at home 24/7.

Give us your solution here, I am genuinely interested. I appreciate you are obviously frustrated, as we all are.

They didn't need to go at a crowed time. They are part of the problem. Also there are people clearly in two and threes, one person can go to the shop and buy anything needed, the rest are just causing a problem.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Underfunded for to long
Where to from here?

Tge North has 4 times the Covid incidence of the South

https://mobile.twitter.com/SeaninGraham22/status/1339274488844857344

8/12 hospitals are operating beyond capacity
Most of tgeincudence is in poorer areas. NI is poorer than the South

https://mobile.twitter.com/peterdonaghy/status/1317918641279651842

https://www.nisra.gov.uk/statistics/deprivation/northern-ireland-multiple-deprivation-measure-2017-nimdm2017

imtommygunn

While I think the whole thing has been handled poorly up here there are deeper things going on than just that for the spread up here. Why it is a bigger issue in poorer areas needs to be looked at.

Also when you think about it some of those hospitals have a massive catchment area. (Moreso the ones outside Belfast)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on December 17, 2020, 06:33:18 AM
Underfunded for to long
Where to from here?

https://www.nisra.gov.uk/statistics/deprivation/northern-ireland-multiple-deprivation-measure-2017-nimdm2017

Being a place over 3 times the size smaller than it's southern 'friends' it naturally won't generate as much

The 'competition' between the north and south of the country put up by certain posters really lets them down and doesn't paint a good picture of views in the south about the north.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: armaghniac on December 17, 2020, 12:52:25 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 16, 2020, 08:51:21 PM

They didn't need to go at a crowed time. They are part of the problem. Also there are people clearly in two and threes, one person can go to the shop and buy anything needed, the rest are just causing a problem.

Yeah look I get this. But again, my point is, when you ban everyone from doing absolutely everything else. Narrow down what they can do.....don't you think that is going to concentrate people to that particular area?

There must be a better way than banning people doing things and funnelling them basically towards the same "essential" shops.

I agree with your points but I don't think you guys are recognising the vital component these days - People are not afraid of Covid anymore. They've heard it all. A common one I hear regularly in public is "Do you know anyone even has it?". This forum is detached from the reality of the general public right now, not necessarily in a bad way.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 17, 2020, 08:16:31 AM
Quote from: seafoid on December 17, 2020, 06:33:18 AM
Underfunded for to long
Where to from here?

Being a place over 3 times the size smaller than it's southern 'friends' it naturally won't generate as much

The 'competition' between the north and south of the country put up by certain posters really lets them down and doesn't paint a good picture of views in the south about the north.

Some of the comments are inflammatory and bordering on gloating on one death rate being better than the other.

Vile.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 17, 2020, 07:23:25 AM
While I think the whole thing has been handled poorly up here there are deeper things going on than just that for the spread up here. Why it is a bigger issue in poorer areas needs to be looked at.

Also when you think about it some of those hospitals have a massive catchment area. (Moreso the ones outside Belfast)

We are well oversubscribed with hospitals for a population of 1.8 million, it is just each facility has been run into the ground by Stormont and Westminster